Author Topic: Body Mounts Part I...  (Read 8697 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Body Mounts Part I...
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Today I finished some of the ..................

......... body mounts for the car.  I'm happy with them, now to see ............

........ if I can actually bend aluminum to fit them  :?.  If so I'll move on to another section of the car.

There are more pictures and what I did here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-3/construction%20page-124.html

c ya,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Body Mounts Part I...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:59:44 PM »
Sum:

1. Is that a split tail air brake I see like #411?
2. What method are you going to use to attach the aluminum to the body?
3. Will the car run @ next years SW? (seems like an obvious question but ya never know)
4. What is going to be the car/ team name?
5. Have you picked out a color?

Just wondering.....

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:25:14 AM »
Sum:

1. Is that a split tail air brake I see like #411?
2. What method are you going to use to attach the aluminum to the body?
3. Will the car run @ next years SW? (seems like an obvious question but ya never know)
4. What is going to be the car/ team name?
5. Have you picked out a color?

Just wondering.....

-JH

Hey answers:

1. No it is not designed as an air brake.  I didn't want to try and get into engineering for strenght to do that.  I'll leave the over 400 mph runs to Tom  :-).  I tried to design it to be neutral in the air flow and actually use the air flow to help open it and also to help get the chute out of the doors.  Here is a link to the first build page for them (it goes for 5 pages).......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-95.html

..................  and a link to a video of them working ........

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=UV4nx7LMIXI&rel=1&eurl=http%3A//purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%2520page-99.html&iurl=http%3A//s2.ytimg.com/vi/UV4nx7LMIXI/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskLOtPVzipn-DmOiR9Akkxzj

2.  I'll use mostly dutz fasteners.  I have the ones that use a "T" allen wrench.

3.  I sure hope it will be at speedweek next year.  I haven't totally given up on WF, but even that is doubtful.

4.  The car is called the "Salt Bullet".  My mom before she passed away always said "how are you doing on the bullet car, so I used her name for it.  I'd like someone that can draw better than me to make a logo with a guy with a helmet ridding a bullet like the guy did in the movie Dr. Strangelove that ........

..... went out of the plane riding a nuke to the ground.

5.  Color not really, but leaning towards orange so it matches Hooley's Stude.  I'd like to paint it purple with flames like my truck, but feel that would be too hot as I can't touch my truck there.  I'll still look into that with the flames by the cockpit, then they could be in the lighter color there, but still the purple is hot.

Thanks for the questions, now I think it is bed time, c ya tomorrow,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:38:47 AM »
Sum, all the car colors are hot when they sit in the sun, it's the sun, not the color...  :-D  Polished would look nice, or engine turned...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:35:21 AM »
Polished would look nice, or engine turned...  :-D

Yes it would if I knew how to work aluminum, but I think there is going to be a fair amount of bondo on it and I haven't had much luck polishing that  :cry:,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:53:26 AM »
I am not knocking engine turning, I have a fair amount on my car but it does add texture to the surface and is a slow, painful process doing it by hand.

Paint is by far the easiest and with a little body filler would be IMO the best choice.

I do have aspirations to have a future aluminum body project to be anodized. I have never seen anyone do an anodized body but should be sweet if it doesn’t cost too much.

BTW: once you have done a few pannles....you will be an expert....I will bet there will be less bondo than you think!

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 11:57:15 AM »
Paint it a color we can see from the timing trailer, White,silver etc. are not good colors for us to keep an eye on during the run and turn out.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »
Jonny:

The only problem with anodizing on a body is that every weld will stand out. Anodizing is in effect a dying process and the welds are naturally very different from the base metal. I have a feeling hammer marks will probably have a similar but different effect.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:55:44 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:20:30 AM »
Sum, Looks like you`ll be finished in no time (!!!) I`d offer to let you use my e-wheel for the body, but, that might be a long commute on a daily basis!. Jerry :wink:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
Sum,
Any news on your lakester? How about your pickup.
Don't keep us wondering.

Don

LittleLiner

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
The car is called the "Salt Bullet".  My mom before she passed away always said "how are you doing on the bullet car, so I used her name for it.  I'd like someone that can draw better than me to make a logo with a guy with a helmet ridding a bullet like the guy did in the movie Dr. Strangelove that ........

..... went out of the plane riding a nuke to the ground.

The guy riding the bomb was Slim Pickins.  The character was Major T. J. "King" Kong, the commander of a BUF ( B-52 for you civilians) 

Some great narrative from the movie by Major Kong might apply to your lakester on the long course. . .

" Well, boys, we got three engines out, we got more holes in us than a horse trader's mule, the radio is gone and we're leaking fuel and if we was flying any lower why we'd need sleigh bells on this thing... but we got one little budge on them Rooskies. At this height why they might harpoon us but they dang sure ain't gonna spot us on no radar screen!"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »
Sum,
Any news on your lakester? How about your pickup.
Don't keep us wondering.

Don

I got some body panels started for the lakester before Speed Week that are not posted and I've finally gotten somewhat rested up also. 

I pulled the heads on the truck and sent them back to have them looked at and just got them back today.  They are on and I'll have the intake on tomorrow hopefully and will be starting the truck Friday and hopefully no blue smoke  :-o

Bones from Australia was suppose to be here with his wife this afternoon, but they haven't showed up yet.  I'm taking them out tomorrow if they make it here tonight or in the morning. 

I'm hoping the truck is going to be ok since I need to take it to WOS next week and Littleliner I hope my runs go better than that, but that is good reading,

Sum

Offline salt27

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »
Sum,
You do stay busy.
Thanks for the update and I got my fingers crossed on your heads.
It looks like work is going to interfere with WOS, dang!

Don

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »
Sum, I am Partial to a nice Bright Yellow like my 36 Ford Roadster or  Bright Orange like my 39 Chevy Coupe.  Either color can look cool with contrasting flames.

Maybe Orange with Purple and Blue Flames ?  Go wild you have done a great job, show it off with bright and vibrant colors

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 12:55:19 AM »
.....................Maybe Orange with Purple and Blue Flames ?....

That might be it.  I wanted it like my truck, but the purple on it is just too darn hot for the salt, so a reverse flame job like you said might be the ticket and the orange would go with Hooley's Stude,

Sum