Author Topic: Step Pan...........  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Step Pan...........
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:01:07 PM »
Could anyone give me some info on step pans.  How did they originate (history of them) and what is the main purpose of them, aero??  Anything else would be of interest to me.

The installed step pan has a large hole cut out for the installation of the Vega steering box from Borgesen Mullins.

I've always wondered about them, but never asked then when I saw the mention of them in the build of Mike's roadster I decided to ask.  One question for you Mike is did the author of the article get this wrong when he stated that what was in the picture is a step pan?   I wondered as when I just looked in the rules again for insight on what they are the rules say "A step pan may enclose the area from the aft-most portion of the firewall to a line 10" forward of the rear axle centerline..."

So is what is in the picture a step pan??

Thanks guys...just wanted to know and no a roadster is not in my future.  They are all about HP and HP costs money and I don't have much  8-),

Sum

Offline jdincau

Re: Step Pan...........
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:06:38 PM »
As I get it, the step pan definition in the gas/fuel roadster rules lets you put a floor in your car without letting you put a belly pan on it like in Modified roadster.
Jim
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:15:55 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »
Sum, no thats not a step pan, the step pan is from the firewall back to 10in infront of the rear axle centerline, (at 45 degee or steeper to the floorbord) that pan you see is the flat panel  behind the grill shell per fuel gas roadster rules  also if you look at (floorbard) and then look up step pan you should understand.thanks mike

Offline mkilger

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 06:09:42 PM »
also the floor needs to be in the stock location for the body used .Thats the way I read it.