Author Topic: A lakester, a bug, and a question.  (Read 7960 times)

Offline uglydog56

• New folks
A lakester, a bug, and a question.
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:42:37 PM »
I'm building a air cooled vw powered lakester.  It is turbocharged, and due to all the plumbing, you can't run the stock fan & shroud.  Can I put in air scoops that just go into the cylinders and back out (don't have anything to do with the rest of the body) and still be legal?

Offline aircap

Re: A lakester, a bug, and a question.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:26:15 AM by aircap »
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 12:16:03 AM »
I don't see any reason you can't haqve air scoops for cooling as long as they stay inside of the track.Nothing may overhang the inside of the tires. I don't think.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:17:17 AM »
I beleieve you stated you were building a lakester...and yes a lakester is classified in the special construction class and you can almost do anything...
kent

Offline uglydog56

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:41:10 PM »
F/BGL.  My buddy and I have a turbocharged 2234 we are going to see if we can get to stay cool for 3 miles.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:54:17 AM »
UD, pictures?  Build diary...  :| sketches of what you are thinking?  Special construction is almost rule-less after safety is met.  Lakesters have 2 rules, totally open wheels and no part of the vehicle can extend outside the inner plane of the narrowest set of tires.  Get a rule book and read it a couple of dozen times before you get too far, ask lots of questions here, come to Bonneville and look at the cars that are already built, glean ideas, everyone will be happy to talk to you about why they have done what....
Put the ideas together on paper and have fun, be safe, go fast...
hope to see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline butch nassau

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »
Gulp!

I'm building a narrow-tread lakester. It has a four cylinder Honda engine.
On the left side of the engine the intake manifold intrudes past the vertical inner line of the rear wheels.

I've read the lakester rules and they say,"so long as no part of the or axle fairing is wider than the narrowest vertical plane of the tires,"

I does not say "no part of the vehicle..."

Wadayathink?

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
Gulp!

On the left side of the engine the intake manifold intrudes past the vertical inner line of the rear wheels.

I've read the lakester rules and they say,"so long as no part of the or axle fairing is wider than the narrowest vertical plane of the tires,"

Wadayathink?

Ba-bow!

as Kent said as long as its safe pretty much anything goes, you can have bodywork outside the inner edge of your wheels ....but you'll be in streamliner class,.
So, if you want to be in lakester , everything needs to be inside the inner edge of the narrowest wheel track......

And while I'm here....when people ask you Uglydog  what's powering the lakester ...you can say "it's got a bug in it's aaaahh..ssss"  :wink:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
Gulp!

Wadayathink?
Don't know what you are reading. My rule book says "no part of the body or axle fairing" What are you getting your reading from? It reads like a typo.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
Butch, the way the rule is written it only states "body or axle fairing", nothing is stated about engine parts. I would think you are ok. Get the legal nod from Kiwi Steve.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:00:02 PM »
Gulp!

I've read the lakester rules and they say,"so long as no part of the body or axle fairing is wider than the narrowest vertical plane of the tires,"

Wadayathink?

I fixed it for ya a little... In lakester class nothing can be outside the inner plane of the narrowest tires.  We had a scoop that broke that plane once, the reading was not class legal... and it actually won't put in streamliner, read those rules, 2 wheels must be covered
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:13 PM »
Butch, why not tilt the engine? If that doesn't suit then the worst you'd have to do is fabricate some more of the intake system.

Pete

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
Stainless is correct. Just because it isn't legal for Lakester doesn't mean it's automatically legal for Streamliner. Wayno

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »
Butch, the way the rule is written it only states "body or axle fairing", nothing is stated about engine parts. I would think you are ok. Get the legal nod from Kiwi Steve.
  Sid.

Kiwi Steve is the guy to ask about tech and safety stuff, not classing questions.  Although he'll obviously be able to answer your question, the more appropriate persons to contact would be the body class chair/committee. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
Since its special construction, you could run two of them. One in the front and one in the rear like the Joe Huffaker twin Porsche Indy car from 1966.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”