Author Topic: Impound- how does it work?  (Read 2013 times)

dwarner

Impound- how does it work?
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
A brief rundown as what to expect when you qualify for the record.

Please review page 10, section 1.G. This covers the basics of impound.

The procedure will involve you returning to the impound area within one hour of the time listed on your timing slip. If you are having difficulties in making the hour please send someone from your crew to see me and explain the delay, flat tire on trailer, etc.

If you are a car racer, once you reach the impound please check in at the gate and get your time-in posted on the cert card. The clock at the gate keeper is synced to the timing trailer and is the offical impound time. Park your rig anywhere you wish. Hold onto the cert card until either myself or one of my guys comes to your vehicle. Please have the white copy of your entry/inspection form available. You can begin to work on the car anytime you wish, you have 4 hours from check-in to complete post and pre-run maintance. You can change anything except the engine block and the body configuration. The body and gas tank seal will be checked at this point. If a question arises as to the body config please be prepared to defend your position. You will need a ground tarp, so bring an extra in your trailer.

If you are in a gas class do not remove the tank seal until an impound person has verified that it is in tact. You will be allowed to add gasoline under these guidelines; you must have a sealed container of event gasoline from the fuel vendor. You will be able to add the gas and one of us will reseal your tank before the record run. This can be done at anytime. Many will run the car in the morning to warm the engine and trans then add the gas before leaving the impound area.

I will available to answer any questions that my crew is unable to handle.

In the morning we enter the salt around 5:45 - 6:00AM. this will allow approximently one hour to prepare for backup record runs. Please keep vehicle traffic to a minumum as the are gets rather crowed. Have your Dad, Mom, Brother,Sister, and other family members park their rental outside the area. If they feel they must leave their car in the way make sure the keys are in it. If the rental blocks the area it will be pushed out of the way, not good if the parking brake is on or the car is in park.

We leave the impound at 7:00AM, if you are not clear of the impound gate or on the way to the gate you will have to requalify. We race on Utah time, if your rooms are in Neveda you are one hour late already. We go to the starting lines as a group, daily instructions will be given several times. Please do not take it upon yourself to head for the starting lines, we have to maintain some order. When at the starting lines the official starters are in control, please follow their instructions.

Following your return run, proceed directly to the impound area. You will be instructed as to where to go for final certification and engine measurement. We have several ways to check an engine. If we cannot use one of our methods be prepared to pull a head for direct measuement. On the car side we do allow you to seal the engine in order to continue to run for the rest of the week. The record you set will be held as pending until the engine is measured before we leave the salt. Anyone running in the same class will qualify on the old record. If the up the record you will have to re-qualify. This also means that if a 200 MPH club memebership is involved it will not be granted until the engine displacement is verified.

The motorcycle guys should proceed directly to the m/c tech trailer area and check in there. We try to keep all the bikes in the general area of the tech trailer. One other difference is  you must tear down for the first record. Following engine verification and reassembly the tech guys will seal the engine so that you may continue to compete the rest of the week.
Gasoline is handled the same as the cars, please see above.

Bonneville 200 MPH Club - I am aware of the potential new members on the car side. If you are a m/c racer and have met the record requirements please contact me before you leave the impound area so that I will know of your status. Scott Guthrie is on top of this also so you will not go un-noticed.

I hope this helps clear up some questions. It is brief so if you want more info please ask.

Good luck to all,
DW

Offline Bville701

Re: Impound- how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:23:57 AM »
Thanks for posting this DW. It really helps out a lot.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
Re: Impound- how does it work?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:45:26 AM »
I understand that I am sort of asking the Chevy guys about a Toyota warranty, but how does the BUB event impound differ?

maybe I should copy dwarner's post and move this thread to the BUB rules channel?

Mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com