Author Topic: Ratliff  (Read 31996 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Ratliff
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 01:11:40 AM »
Deb, it is more fun the wrestle a pig than a rat.... good luck getting any direct answers....
BTW, did you know that skydiving fatalities dropped over 98% after the invention of the parachute.... :roll: so it should be used by everyone, I now wear one when I walk the dog...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »
This thread is about as enlightening as watching Maury Povich or Jerry Springer. 

I don't know what's more depressing - watching the audience yell at the guest, the guest yelling back to the audience, or the fact that we're all watching it.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 01:52:22 AM »
Deb and others that have commented about the Ron Cook racing incident.

Ron's accident where he appears to jump off the bike and gets his leg caught is fairly accurate however not 100 % account of the truth as told to me by Ron and also by knowing about the bike he was riding at the time.

Ron was one of the reasons I got involved in LSR and was one of the first LSR folks I met back in the mid 90's.

I sponsored Ron when I worked at Arias and Ron was one of the best "sponsored" riders we had, best return on investment (ROI) than any other bike racer, he went the extra mile to make a company happy and aware of his results (good and bad)

Ron did try to extract himself from the bike (old KZ Kawasaki) as the bike was in a nasty head-shake and while Ron was attempting to remove himself from the bike he "knew was going to wreck" got his left leg/boot caught not on the foot peg, it was caught on the tail section area and dragged him about a 1/4 of a mile (from what I remember) until he rolled on to the front of his helmet and not only did his leg free itself from the bike the bike from what I remember the bike only "crashed" when an SCTA volunteer drove next to it and kicked it over while it was running about 20 mph as the "deadmans" switch was not correctly hooked up so the bike had continued on slight power once Ron was separated from the bike.

I just spoke with Ron two weeks ago checking up on him and he is doing fine and back to work as well.

John

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 01:55:33 AM »
This thread is about as enlightening as watching Maury Povich or Jerry Springer. 

I don't know what's more depressing - watching the audience yell at the guest, the guest yelling back to the audience, or the fact that we're all watching it.

I do not expect this to go past 75 posts, it will either be locked or the subject in question will be tossed out with yesterdays garbage.

J

Blue

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »

Pissing Contests
« Sent to: Blue on: July 09, 2008, 04:13:57 PM »
Right now you're coming off as an egotist more interested in a pissing contest with a grad student than someone interested in an informed discussion about what the rest of us have already said.

... Then Eric Ahlstrom, a degreed aeronautical engineer who has worked extensively with aerodynamic decelerators and used to race superbikes, said rider drag chutes were a good idea.
Ahh, it so nice to be so loved and so hated.

FYI Ratliff: Your information and the opinions you derive from that history are wrong or obsolete over 90% of the time.  I do not agree with you in any way, shape, or form.  That you occasionally manage to offer an unqualified, unresearched opinion of someone else's invention that someone agrees with does not make you any smarter.  By your own admission, rider chutes are 30 years old; what took you so long?

We're done here.  Many have tried to wrestle this pig and all we are is dirty while he continues to make the same irrational squeeling noises over and over and over again.  I do not think that my departure from this board is any great loss for LSR, but I will miss some of the more innovative types and I will be at Speed Week this year to offer advice and opinions where they are asked for.  And ONLY where they are asked for.

I will leave my profile up for a week so that anyone who wants my email can get it.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 02:51:52 AM »
Deb and others that have commented about the Ron Cook racing incident...

John,
Thanks for this information. I guess I "ASSumed" it was a footpeg and I don't recall ever hearing any different until now.
I'll have to find and rewatch that video with this new information in mind. I guess in the big picture it doesn't change anything
but I do like to have the details most accurate in my own mind and truly appreciate the clarification.

I'm also glad to hear he's back to work. How is his overall health now? What are his ongoing issues, if any, from the second wreck?
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 03:14:55 AM »
So how many more knowledable active participating RACERS/CREW do we have to loose in order that others can keep the opportunity to read ratliff's posts?

How can we collectively value the posts and opinions of someone who admittedly hasn't been to ANY LSR venue in many years, who's only contribution is second hand or more distant knowledge that can't be applied directly to LSR? I'm glad some of you find him informative or entertaining enough to tell Jon that you think he should stay. I'm not one of them. I've asked repeatedly to discuss a specific real situation and how a so called safety item he is insisting can help can be applied to LSR without further harm to the participant and he can't even reasonably or generally debate that specific item. I am honestly trying to get his view and opinion but it seem apparent to me that he doesn't have one unless it fits the specific situation for which he has a back-up video.

He's been back for a day and already has 59 or more posts.

I feel like we've been forced to trade JackD for ratliff. Maybe many of you didn't like JackD either but at least he's been in the game and has real applicable knowledge he was willing to share or help lead you to the answer.

This is a sad sad day for lr.com. I honestly don't want to see ratliff stay. He's disruptive and completely and repeatedly lacks the ability to stay on topic. If he's going to stay and have his own section I think he should be blocked from posting in other sections. Why can't we just post his email address for people to contact him and wish him fairwell. Why doesn't he start his own forum. Yahoo & MSN have them for free that anyone that can use the internet can set up.

All we've accomplished here is to give the screaming brat in Walmart more attention and candy while the kids that are behaving get punished. I guess it's just another sad sign of the times.

For those of you that have to leave because you just can't take it anymore (my husband included) I'm really sad and will miss them. I want them all to stay because it's like loosing a family member. I try to learn from everyone so anyone that goes is one less thing I have the opportunity to learn. I love this sport for what it is and not for any of the stupid titles. I'm proud of my accomplishments but if I never do another noteworthy thing in this venue I'm still going to be around and a part of it and still hoping to continue to learn. I wish everyone could find a way to stay but I understand the ones that can't. I'll miss those of you going just as much as I miss JackD.  :cry:

Ok, back to bed for me.
Nighty nite!
I hope tomorrow is a better day.
Debbie

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 08:44:29 AM »
So how many more knowledable active participating RACERS/CREW do we have to loose in order that others can keep the opportunity to read ratliff's posts?

How can we collectively value the posts and opinions of someone who admittedly hasn't been to ANY LSR venue in many years, who's only contribution is second hand or more distant knowledge that can't be applied directly to LSR? I'm glad some of you find him informative or entertaining enough to tell Jon that you think he should stay. I'm not one of them. I've asked repeatedly to discuss a specific real situation and how a so called safety item he is insisting can help can be applied to LSR without further harm to the participant and he can't even reasonably or generally debate that specific item. I am honestly trying to get his view and opinion but it seem apparent to me that he doesn't have one unless it fits the specific situation for which he has a back-up video.

He's been back for a day and already has 59 or more posts.

I feel like we've been forced to trade JackD for ratliff. Maybe many of you didn't like JackD either but at least he's been in the game and has real applicable knowledge he was willing to share or help lead you to the answer.

This is a sad sad day for lr.com. I honestly don't want to see ratliff stay. He's disruptive and completely and repeatedly lacks the ability to stay on topic. If he's going to stay and have his own section I think he should be blocked from posting in other sections. Why can't we just post his email address for people to contact him and wish him fairwell. Why doesn't he start his own forum. Yahoo & MSN have them for free that anyone that can use the internet can set up.

All we've accomplished here is to give the screaming brat in Walmart more attention and candy while the kids that are behaving get punished. I guess it's just another sad sign of the times.

For those of you that have to leave because you just can't take it anymore (my husband included) I'm really sad and will miss them. I want them all to stay because it's like loosing a family member. I try to learn from everyone so anyone that goes is one less thing I have the opportunity to learn. I love this sport for what it is and not for any of the stupid titles. I'm proud of my accomplishments but if I never do another noteworthy thing in this venue I'm still going to be around and a part of it and still hoping to continue to learn. I wish everyone could find a way to stay but I understand the ones that can't. I'll miss those of you going just as much as I miss JackD.  :cry:

Ok, back to bed for me.
Nighty nite!
I hope tomorrow is a better day.
Debbie

In October of 1997, I learned I had been on the right track for a practical approach to a supersonic jet car when in late summer of 1983 I had made a series of drawings exploring various configurations based on a fuselage with twin forward mounted engines.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4108.0.html

In July of 1999, when my interview by Bret Kepner was published in the October edition of Drag Racing USA (formerly Super Stock) magazine, I was, without being prompted by further incidents of injuries or deaths, right about deficiencies in driver protection in Top Fuel cars.

http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD%20Dec%202001/SOD-121201.htm

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4249.msg56065.html#msg56065

And although it hasn't been tried yet in land speed racing, I know a nonairbreathing turbine car would be the ultimate in wheel-driven speed.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4010.0.html

So, outside of what parts to buy and which engine builder to use, what big thing have you been right about?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:54:48 AM by Ratliff »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »
So, outside of what parts to buy and which engine builder to use, what big thing have you been right about?

1] You lack the ability to answer a direct question from myself and others as it relates to LAND SPEED RACING. You won’t even respond to the most simplistic question that merely requires a yes or no answer.

2] You lack the ability to discuss LAND SPEED RACING topics in their own right if you can not refer to something that someone else did at some other time (usually too many years ago) that was done in some other venue that can't be related to LAND SPEED RACING.

3] Some of what you post MIGHT be able to be related to LAND SPEED RACING but because you rely solely on what other people have done in a given situation you lack the ability to brainstorm the practical use of what ever you are preaching as it possibly could be used for LAND SPEED RACING.

4] You lack the ability to stay on topic (LAND SPEED RACING) in EVERY post.

5] Because of your incessant drivel many experienced, valued current LAND SPEED racers and/or crew have left this board or now refuse to post. Consequently your self imposed importance to LAND SPEED RACING has cost many of us valued information and help in the forum of our preference.

6] You adamantly REFUSE to "play by the rules" on this board and in regards to LAND SPEED RACING. You don't want to race under the current sanctioned rules and in fact the only vehicle that I have knowledge of you building in the recent past is a vehicle that CAN NOT be run under the sanctioning bodies of most of the LAND SPEED RACING venues.

7] As of 9:48am EST 7/25/08 21 current members have you on ignore.

8] You don't have a flipping clue who I am, what I've done, what I’ve contributed, what I've accomplished or for that matter who my engine builder is! :roll:

9] You STILL have not answered my direct and repeated question to you on if and how a parachute can help a motorcyclist if they were to suffer a low side crash while LAND SPEED RACING without the parachute causing further damage then if it were not worn.

There is so much more I could go on for days and days and days but I have ZERO interest in marketing myself to you.

I'm really not sure if you've contributed anything positive to this board but even if you HAVE the fact that you're clobbering it up with gibberish, unrelated, non-applicable, off topic posts negates to me and many others anything positive you might possibly have contributed.

If you haven't been to the salt flats in years and you seem to have no intention of going in the future then why would you continue to liter our boards with you diatribe? Create your own message board or web site in tribute to the all mighty all knowing Franklin Ratliff and let your fans and followers come to you! In fact I think a web site is the best fit for you because you can continue your all knowing dictatorship on your vast array of topics without the need for response from others or defense of your posting. I promise I will not follow YOU and litter YOUR board.

And now I will sit and wait for my answer to #9.

Debbie

10] You will not appropriately respond to this post and will most likely correct my grammar, spelling or opinion rather then deal with the topic at hand.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »

1] You lack the ability to answer a direct question from myself and others as it relates to LAND SPEED RACING. You won’t even respond to the most simplistic question that merely requires a yes or no answer.

2] You lack the ability to discuss LAND SPEED RACING topics in their own right if you can not refer to something that someone else did at some other time (usually too many years ago) that was done in some other venue that can't be related to LAND SPEED RACING.

3] Some of what you post MIGHT be able to be related to LAND SPEED RACING but because you rely solely on what other people have done in a given situation you lack the ability to brainstorm the practical use of what ever you are preaching as it possibly could be used for LAND SPEED RACING.

4] You lack the ability to stay on topic (LAND SPEED RACING) in EVERY post.

5] Because of your incessant drivel many experienced, valued current LAND SPEED racers and/or crew have left this board or now refuse to post. Consequently your self imposed importance to LAND SPEED RACING has cost many of us valued information and help in the forum of our preference.

6] You adamantly REFUSE to "play by the rules" on this board and in regards to LAND SPEED RACING. You don't want to race under the current sanctioned rules and in fact the only vehicle that I have knowledge of you building in the recent past is a vehicle that CAN NOT be run under the sanctioning bodies of most of the LAND SPEED RACING venues.

7] As of 9:48am EST 7/25/08 21 current members have you on ignore.

8] You don't have a flipping clue who I am, what I've done, what I’ve contributed, what I've accomplished or for that matter who my engine builder is! :roll:

9] You STILL have not answered my direct and repeated question to you on if and how a parachute can help a motorcyclist if they were to suffer a low side crash while LAND SPEED RACING without the parachute causing further damage then if it were not worn.

There is so much more I could go on for days and days and days but I have ZERO interest in marketing myself to you.

I'm really not sure if you've contributed anything positive to this board but even if you HAVE the fact that you're clobbering it up with gibberish, unrelated, non-applicable, off topic posts negates to me and many others anything positive you might possibly have contributed.

If you haven't been to the salt flats in years and you seem to have no intention of going in the future then why would you continue to liter our boards with you diatribe? Create your own message board or web site in tribute to the all mighty all knowing Franklin Ratliff and let your fans and followers come to you! In fact I think a web site is the best fit for you because you can continue your all knowing dictatorship on your vast array of topics without the need for response from others or defense of your posting. I promise I will not follow YOU and litter YOUR board.

And now I will sit and wait for my answer to #9.

Debbie

10] You will not appropriately respond to this post and will most likely correct my grammar, spelling or opinion rather then deal with the topic at hand.

First, I explained how rider drag chutes were developed thirty years ago and that twenty six years ago they saved someone from any significant injury (INCLUDING BROKEN BONES) after departing a bike at over 200 mph. Then I provided a link to a video of one deploying from a Top Fuel drag boat. Then Eric Ahlstrom, a degreed aeronautical engineer who has worked extensively with aerodynamic decelerators and used to race superbikes, said rider drag chutes were a good idea. Then I provided links to videos of two Top Fuel bike riders getting blown off their bikes at 200 mph. YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER. IT'S BEEN EXPLAINED.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »
First, I explained how rider drag chutes were developed thirty years ago and that twenty six years ago they saved someone from any significant injury (INCLUDING BROKEN BONES) after departing a bike at over 200 mph. Then I provided a link to a video of one deploying from a Top Fuel drag boat. Then Eric Ahlstrom, a degreed aeronautical engineer who has worked extensively with aerodynamic decelerators and used to race superbikes, said rider drag chutes were a good idea. Then I provided links to videos of two Top Fuel bike riders getting blown off their bikes at 200 mph. YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER. IT'S BEEN EXPLAINED.

NO I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY ANSWER because not ONE of your examples came off of the BIKE at a significant lean angle on the bike or under it. Go back and review what you are quoting and show me ONE example of a RIDER being UNDER a bike that is on the ground or at a significant lean angle whereby they will land at least partially under the bike.

If you don't have this data or you don't know the answer then just say it so we can all move on knowing that you just don't know. :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »

So have you preached this to the drag racers, are any of them following your recommendations.... oh yea, you haven't made a recommendation you have just been living your racing vicariously through the actions of others.  Maybe you should re-read Eric before you use him as a character witness

FYI Ratliff: Your information and the opinions you derive from that history are wrong or obsolete over 90% of the time.  I do not agree with you in any way, shape, or form.  That you occasionally manage to offer an unqualified, unresearched opinion of someone else's invention that someone agrees with does not make you any smarter.  By your own admission, rider chutes are 30 years old; what took you so long?

We're done here.  Many have tried to wrestle this pig and all we are is dirty while he continues to make the same irrational squeeling noises over and over and over again. 

So to summarize what you have to say it sounds like blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
Okay, folks -- I'm sorry to have to have done it, but I've removed Franklin Ratliff's permission to be a member of this forum.  I'd request the rest of you to return to your regular posts and not discuss what might have been or what should have been.

Best regards,

Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »

NO I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY ANSWER because not ONE of your examples came off of the BIKE at a significant lean angle on the bike or under it. Go back and review what you are quoting and show me ONE example of a RIDER being UNDER a bike that is on the ground or at a significant lean angle whereby they will land at least partially under the bike.

If you don't have this data or you don't know the answer then just say it so we can all move on knowing that you just don't know. :roll:

You have yet to define what is "land speed" and what is not "land speed." The Kaplan-Carr 348 mph lakester was a converted Top Alcohol dragster. Many other lakesters have used the drag strip derived dragster configuration. Three rocket dragsters set FIA records at El Mirage and Bonneville.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
Okay, folks -- I'm sorry to have to have done it, but I've removed Franklin Ratliff's permission to be a member of this forum.  I'd request the rest of you to return to your regular posts and not discuss what might have been or what should have been.

Best regards,

Jon