Author Topic: Ratliff  (Read 31993 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Ratliff
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »

So now "he" is up to 14 however I have 1 myself.... :-D

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »
MAYBE HE'S JUST A LONELY? :? I've never seen a mean or deragatory statement from him yet :|
Yeah, too bad "he has called lots of the people on this forum very unprintable things in emails" is itself a falsehood and an untruth. You know, BULLSHIT.

The wheels are about to come off.......

Franklin, you're your own worst enemy, you can defend yourself without using foul language. And you had better start.

When someone repeats a lie I speak bluntly.

And speaking of bluntly, why is this schoolgirl gossip thread even here?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:56:00 PM by Ratliff »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
To answer your question, Frnaklin, this topic was started by Dan Warner -- suggesting that we institute a topic/section for you to post in so that those who would rather not correspond with you wouldn't be "forced" into doing so.

So what do you think -- shall I start one for you?  Let me know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 03:12:49 PM »
To answer your question, Frnaklin, this topic was started by Dan Warner -- suggesting that we institute a topic/section for you to post in so that those who would rather not correspond with you wouldn't be "forced" into doing so.

I say we start one for Warner first and see how THAT goes over.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:49 PM »
I say his sarcasm has neared the end of the rope.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »

I say we start one for Warner first and see how THAT goes over.

Will YOU be posting in it?
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
" I say we start one for Warner first and see how THAT goes over."

Ratliff, you still don't get it!!!, I have watched you post useless nonsense  and kept quit and let others let you know how useless this stuff is.  But when you  suggest to start a thread for Dan for pointing out what we all see and what you cant see is just going to far!!!

The comment about starting to post a thread about Dan has given you enough rope to hang your self in my eyes.

I will add my name to the ignore list.

Tony
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:29:21 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »

I'm not the one who started a thread advertising to the world how there are those who feel threatened when they discover exchanging ideas means learning there are ideas nothing at all like the way they're used to looking at the world.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:43:50 PM by Ratliff »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »

I'm not the one who started a thread advertising how there are those who feel threatened when they discover exchanging ideas means learning there ways of looking at things nothing at all like theirs.

You are delusional!!! I keep trying to TALK to you & yet YOU won't respond with direct conversation. YOU are the one that can only see things one way! YOU are the one with the closed mind!

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:   :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Deb

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »

I'm not the one who started a thread advertising how there are those who feel threatened when they discover exchanging ideas means learning there ways of looking at things nothing at all like theirs.

You are delusional!!! I keep trying to TALK to you & yet YOU won't respond with direct conversation. YOU are the one that can only see things one way! YOU are the one with the closed mind!

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:   :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Deb

First, I explained how rider drag chutes were developed thirty years ago and that twenty six years ago they saved someone from any significant injury after departing a bike at over 200 mph. Then I provided a link to a video of one deploying from a Top Fuel drag boat. Then Eric Ahlstrom, a degreed aeronautical engineer who has worked extensively with aerodynamic decelerators and used to race superbikes, said rider drag chutes were a good idea. Then I provided links to videos of two Top Fuel bike riders getting blown off their bikes at 200 mph. Then someone who rides a 200 mph bike with no fairing tells me I'm delusional. Go figure.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:15:54 PM by Ratliff »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »
Yes you are delusional because you can't answer specific questions. I am a LAND SPEED RACER who has gone down WITH a bike meaning still ON the bike when I hit the concrete.

Your answer to that was that WE should learn WHEN to let go! Do you have ANY idea how quickly you can go from upright to on the ground? Do you KNOW what a human beings reaction time is? Do you think it is possible to react that quickly when you don't think or know you are going to fall at speed?

Can you explain to me/demonstrate to me how I could have used this parachute to save me from my broken collarbone? A broken collarbone &/or clavicle is one of the most common motorcycle injuries. Derived when falling to the ground. Most often directly to the ground (low siding) without any flying through the air involved.

A tether style cord would not have actuated the chute for me because I didn't leave the bike until AFTER I hit the ground. If the chute deployed when I hit the ground & was still with the bike my fear is that we would have collectively become entangled and risked tumbling down the track together rather then separately thus causing more injury not less.

So far you have given examples of drag bikes with giant flat tires & wheelie bars none of which have so much as tipped over in the incident. The rest of the examples are related to other vehicles not of the same configuration most of which the rider is deployed upward.

SO, tell me, talk to me, in your own words with your own knowledge. How is a chute going to help ME as a land speed racer in the event I wreck again in the same manor? I have a rod on my collarbone and I would really like to not do more damage so if there is something more that can help I want to hear about it.  BUT telling me what works on a boat or a space shuttle is of no use to me because the dynamics are completely different.

And by the way YES I've ridden an unfaired bike over 200mph and I will ride it to that speed again. One I set up MYSELF. At least I have balls enough to get on the tract and prove my theories not just sit around posting other peoples experiences.

So lets hear it. How is your beloved parachute going to save my collarbone when I lowside again? How is it going to do it without getting me tangled up with the bike and causing greater injury. I'm here, I'm listing.

Deb
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:45:05 PM by DahMurf »

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
You will come to a stop whether or not you have a drag chute.  Without one, you will decelerate at 1 to 2 Gs on the salt and probably a G or so higher on pavement due to higher coefficient of friction.  At Bonneville, this translates to sliding 600 ft or so from 150mph.  The G force depends on how slippery your costume is and how much flailing of arms, legs, and head is done - they tend to dig in.  With a chute, you have the problem of it unfurling when you are sliding chute first.  It will probably wrap around you and make a nice shroud for your body - at least you wouldn't have to watch the festivities.  I wouldn't trust escape capsules either - both the B58 and B70 had them.  The rate gyros would lose track of the capsule orientation after a second or two and not know when to fire the chute (up or down, etc).  Ivan Kinchelow got killed when his early downward-firing F104 ejection seat shot him into the ground (you were supposed to roll upside down first).  Later F104s changed to upward firing seats.  When in a critical situation, you don't necessarily have the time to do everything you need to.  It would take a number of years of expensive design and testing to get any radical solution right and safe for the real world.  This fantasy stuff is interesting since I have a lot of spare time.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
Yes you are delusional because you can't answer specific questions. I am a LAND SPEED RACER who has gone down WITH a bike meaning still ON the bike when I hit the concrete.

Your answer to that was that WE should learn WHEN to let go! Do you have ANY idea how quickly you can go from upright to on the ground? Do you KNOW what a human beings reaction time is? Do you think it is possible to react that quickly when you don't think or know you are going to fall at speed?

Can you explain to me/demonstrate to me how I could have used this parachute to save me from my broken collarbone? A broken collarbone &/or clavicle is one of the most common motorcycle injuries. Derived when falling to the ground. Most often directly to the ground (low siding) without any flying through the air involved.

A tether style cord would not have actuated the chute for me because I didn't leave the bike until AFTER I hit the ground. If the chute deployed when I hit the ground & was still with the bike my fear is that we would have collectively become entangled and risked tumbling down the track together rather then separately thus causing more injury not less.

So far you have given examples of drag bikes with giant flat tires & wheelie bars none of which have so much as tipped over in the incident. The rest of the examples are related to other vehicles not of the same configuration most of which the rider is deployed upward.

SO, tell me, talk to me, in your own words with your own knowledge. How is a chute going to help ME as a land speed racer in the event I wreck again in the same manor? I have a rod on my collarbone and I would really like to not do more damage so if there is something more that can help I want to hear about it.  BUT telling me what works on a boat or a space shuttle is of no use to me because the dynamics are completely different.

And by the way YES I've ridden an unfaired bike over 200mph and I will ride it to that speed again. One I set up MYSELF. At least I have balls enough to get on the tract and prove my theories not just sit around posting other peoples experiences.

So lets hear it. How is your beloved parachute going to save my collarbone when I lowside again? How is it going to do it without getting me tangled up with the bike and causing greater injury. I'm here, I'm listing.

Deb

Human reaction is irrelevant since deployment of the rider drag chute doesn't depend on the rider. It didn't depend either on the drag boat driver to release it.

John Dixon walked away from his incident with no broken bones.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:09:56 PM by Ratliff »

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 05:08:57 PM »
You will come to a stop whether or not you have a drag chute.  Without one, you will decelerate at 1 to 2 Gs on the salt and probably a G or so higher on pavement due to higher coefficient of friction.  At Bonneville, this translates to sliding 600 ft or so from 150mph.  The G force depends on how slippery your costume is and how much flailing of arms, legs, and head is done - they tend to dig in.  With a chute, you have the problem of it unfurling when you are sliding chute first.  It will probably wrap around you and make a nice shroud for your body - at least you wouldn't have to watch the festivities.  I wouldn't trust escape capsules either - both the B58 and B70 had them.  The rate gyros would lose track of the capsule orientation after a second or two and not know when to fire the chute (up or down, etc).  Ivan Kinchelow got killed when his early downward-firing F104 ejection seat shot him into the ground (you were supposed to roll upside down first).  Later F104s changed to upward firing seats.  When in a critical situation, you don't necessarily have the time to do everything you need to.  It would take a number of years of expensive design and testing to get any radical solution right and safe for the real world.  This fantasy stuff is interesting since I have a lot of spare time.

Video of a rider getting blown off his bike at 200+ mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRXI0XRNaI&feature=related

Another video of another Top Fuel bike rider getting blown off his bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwwuonAKpY

Dealing with the world of facts, rather than unfounded speculation (to be polite), the only available data (video of Top Fuel bike riders getting blown off their bikes at 200 mph) shows the rider drag chute would have ample time and optimal attitude for deployment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vT5MSWi9GU

Early in this video (Waco, 1989) is good footage of deployment of an aerodynamic decelerator on a drag boat driver.

Huh, that's funny. It shows the driver NOT TUMBLING. And that's weird, it shows the chute NOT WRAPPED AROUND THE DRIVER.

I've got how real events really happened in the real world. What have you got?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:17:00 PM by Ratliff »

Offline bald1

• neald
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
As a new member of the Land Speed Racing community, I appreciate this site as a source of information.  Our car is being built in my garage with the knowledge and exprience gleaned from this site extremely valuable, practical, and helpful.  My interest is in learning from those who have "done it."  

Those interested in theory, new technologies, "what ifs". etc. would certainly enjoy a dedicated posting area for discussion.  
neald