Author Topic: Ratliff  (Read 32062 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Ratliff
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2008, 10:26:07 AM »
First, I explained how rider drag chutes were developed thirty years ago and that twenty six years ago they saved someone from any significant injury (INCLUDING BROKEN BONES) after departing a bike at over 200 mph. Then I provided a link to a video of one deploying from a Top Fuel drag boat. Then Eric Ahlstrom, a degreed aeronautical engineer who has worked extensively with aerodynamic decelerators and used to race superbikes, said rider drag chutes were a good idea. Then I provided links to videos of two Top Fuel bike riders getting blown off their bikes at 200 mph. YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER. IT'S BEEN EXPLAINED.

NO I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY ANSWER because not ONE of your examples came off of the BIKE at a significant lean angle on the bike or under it. Go back and review what you are quoting and show me ONE example of a RIDER being UNDER a bike that is on the ground or at a significant lean angle whereby they will land at least partially under the bike.

If you don't have this data or you don't know the answer then just say it so we can all move on knowing that you just don't know. :roll:

You have yet to define what is "land speed" and what is not "land speed." The Kaplan-Carr 348 mph lakester was a converted Top Alcohol dragster. Many other lakesters have used the drag strip derived dragster configuration. Three rocket dragsters set FIA records at El Mirage and Bonneville.

Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »

First, I explained how rider drag chutes were developed thirty years ago and that twenty six years ago they saved someone from any significant injury (INCLUDING BROKEN BONES) after departing a bike at over 200 mph. Then I provided a link to a video of one deploying from a Top Fuel drag boat. Then Eric Ahlstrom, a degreed aeronautical engineer who has worked extensively with aerodynamic decelerators and used to race superbikes, said rider drag chutes were a good idea. Then I provided links to videos of two Top Fuel bike riders getting blown off their bikes at 200 mph. YOU GOT YOUR ANSWER. IT'S BEEN EXPLAINED.

So have you preached this to the drag racers, are any of them following your recommendations.... oh yea, you haven't made a recommendation you have just been living your racing vicariously through the actions of others.  Maybe you should re-read Eric before you use him as a character witness

FYI Ratliff: Your information and the opinions you derive from that history are wrong or obsolete over 90% of the time.  I do not agree with you in any way, shape, or form.  That you occasionally manage to offer an unqualified, unresearched opinion of someone else's invention that someone agrees with does not make you any smarter.  By your own admission, rider chutes are 30 years old; what took you so long?

We're done here.  Many have tried to wrestle this pig and all we are is dirty while he continues to make the same irrational squeeling noises over and over and over again. 

So to summarize what you have to say it sounds like blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...blaa...

http://www.draglist.com/artman/publish/phil_elliott/article_00724.shtml

Verheul and Swindahl were about 20 years ahead of me. NHRA didn't listen to them either. People died before NHRA started to change.

http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD%20Dec%202001/SOD-121201.htm

Drag Racing Story of the Day!
Fire Protection and Cockpit Intrusion
(Letters to Dick Wells)

By Franklin Ratliff

Dick Wells is 25% of the Board of Directors of the NHRA.

The following e-mails relate to concepts I first publicly proposed during my interview with Bret Kepner, published in the October 1999 issue of Drag Racing USA, and which I've continued to promote in on-line forums such as Nitronic Research and Drag Racing Underground. FR

October 19th, 2001

Dear Mr. Wells,

As I pointed out in my September 5th letter (below), there is no good reason for drivers of fuel cars ever to be seriously burned again, even on tracks that don't have a safety crew the caliber of the NHRA Safety Safari.

To address cockpit intrusion problems in dragsters, I suggest double-frame construction for the cockpit portion of the frame. The exterior frame could use arched instead of flat frame members with the exterior frame mounted to the interior frame through chromemoly plate diaphragms to spread the load. The use of double-frame construction would also simplify the creation of fully enclosed driver capsules for Top Fuel cars since the space between the interior and exterior frames could be filled with insulation. I suggest making the transparent portion of the canopy as small as practical, perhaps using double-glazing with tempered Pyrex glass for the outside and quarter-inch polycarbonate for the inside.

To solve some of the driver egress problems associated with installing a fully enclosed driver capsule in a Funny Car, an opening could be left in the body. The capsule could be built to match the contour of the body so that the capsule actually serves as part of the body. Several months ago Brent Fanning of Udder Nonsense Racing pointed out to me that even in existing Funny Cars because the cockpit is relatively well sealed, ram air can be used to pressurize the cockpit and keep smoke out while the car is in motion.

Sincerely,

Franklin Ratliff
------------------

September 5th, 2001

Dear Mr. Wells,

Below is why over two years ago I first proposed the concept of an X-15 style fireproof capsule that even in a fully engulfed car would keep the driver insulated from the fire inside a breathable atmosphere.

"...As near as I can tell he went up in flames in his funny car just before the finish line, steered toward the wall, crossed over to the other side, hit the wall, went airborne and then came to rest just before the turnout. The Sheriff's crew chief Scott Mason was down at that end just after the Sheriff's run and was the first on the scene. It took several minutes to get the body lifted and when they got in there, Keith's face shield was melted to his helmet. Scott pried one side up about two inches to try to get him some air. About that time, the safety crew showed up and tried to put out the fire. They had to cut the cage off so they could get Keith's helmet off..."

With regards to cockpit intrusion by another vehicle, there is a highly informative article on canopy and safety cell design in the September issue of POWERBOAT magazine. Unlimited hydro builders have, more than in any other motorsport, taken the lead in anticipating cockpit intrusion. With vehicles that can slice and dice a driver three different ways (propeller, rudder, AND skid fin) they have had some extra incentive.

Sincerely,

Franklin Ratliff

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2008, 10:32:57 AM »
This thread is about as enlightening as watching Maury Povich or Jerry Springer. 

I don't know what's more depressing - watching the audience yell at the guest, the guest yelling back to the audience, or the fact that we're all watching it.

I do not expect this to go past 75 posts, it will either be locked or the subject in question will be tossed out with yesterdays garbage.

J

So I missed it by a few posts.

Thank you Jon!!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Can we lock this topic down please....
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »
Thank you.

J

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »
Deb,  those smileys being all lovey-dovey made me pass coffee out my nose.....Thanks!!  Jerry :-D
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2008, 10:52:55 AM »
Deb, I think your beatting a dead horse was the best. Were do you get all of those icons? Jon should get them for this forum.
As far as Franklin being gone, I guess the mass emails will start again, but a small price to pay.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
Opps sorry floydjer!  :-D I was looking for a clean-up smiley to try to help you out. All I have is this

And then I forgot I had this one!  Should have used it sooner! 

As for the smileys, I collect (download) them as I see them & like them. I am borrowing them for reuse from other people. All y'all are more then welcome to use what I have in my photobucket collection here: http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/DahMurf/Smileys/
I update frequently and enjoy their injection into posts! It helps us understand the true intended meaning of the written word.

You just click in the box next to IMG CODE under the smiley you like & paste it directly into the reply window.

Jon is more then welcome to my collection however I don't OWN them per say, like I don't own the copyright to them so I'm not sure of the legalities of all that. My collection of them for personal use (and yours as well) shouldn't be a problem to the best of my knowledge as I/we aren't marketing them or making money on them. Jon on the other hand could/might so that may limit him actually importing them into the group directly.

Clear as mud?

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »
Thank you
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing