Author Topic: Ratliff  (Read 32093 times)

dwarner

Re: Ratliff
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »
"I say we start one for Warner first and see how THAT goes over."

That would be fine with me as long as you promise to put me on your ignore button.

DW

PS: When will you answer my direct questions with direct answers?

DW

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 05:32:57 PM »
As a new member of the Land Speed Racing community, I appreciate this site as a source of information.  Our car is being built in my garage with the knowledge and exprience gleaned from this site extremely valuable, practical, and helpful.  My interest is in learning from those who have "done it."  

Those interested in theory, new technologies, "what ifs". etc. would certainly enjoy a dedicated posting area for discussion.  

Haven't talked a whole lot about theory or new technology. Just stuff that hasn't been done much or seen in land speed racing.

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »
When I went to new employee orientation at Edwards AFB (the Air Force Flight Test Center) in 1959, we were shown 30 minutes of people getting killed while testing new unproven stuff like aircraft, ejection seats, parachutes, etc.  The moral is that there is risk doing new stuff no matter how many engineers and other scientists have studied and designed it.  It's even more risky when regular people do it, so I suspect LSR types eagerly read about new stuff, but are (rightly) wary to actually try it. 

To do things right, it takes a lot of time and resources which an average person like me doesn't have.  Another alternative is a SWAG (for the bravest among us), which generally results in a SNAFU.  Or do it thoughtfully, slowly, carefully and for little cash.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »
What you dont have is anything that has happened during an LSR run at Bonneville or anyother LSR venue. So it makes it not really relevant, no matter how many times you repost the same old stuff. So IMHO that makes it irrelevant and redundant.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
I personally enjoy seeing Ratliff's stuff, and I like to learn something new to me even if it's old and maybe not relevant.  The rocket info is interesting, and I wonder how many people running rocket cars knew about the ME-163 rocket plane and its propensity to melt the pilot if they got a fuel leak using the same fuel used in the cars.  Having accidentally inhaled a good whiff of nitromethane once, I am glad I never got close to a rocket car.  I guess I should start work on my Harley Hummer LSR bike, so this it it for me.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
What you dont have is anything that has happened during an LSR run at Bonneville or anyother LSR venue. So it makes it not really relevant, no matter how many times you repost the same old stuff. So IMHO that makes it irrelevant and redundant.

"A wise man expects the unexpected"

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »

Back in the seventies, Top Fuel drag racers didn't think rocket dragsters were relevant to them.

In the early eighties, when Top Fuel cars consistently began running over 250 mph, they discovered why rocket racers never ran moped front tires.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »
What do you mean by "moped" tires
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »
What do you mean by "moped" tires

I mean a class of low-powered motorized vehicle under 50cc, generally two-wheeled.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »
And this has what to do with LSR.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline jdincau

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »
What tires are you refering to specificaly

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:44 PM »
And this has what to do with LSR.

Top Fuel dragsters aren't supposed to be "LSR" either, but you sure see a lot of cars that look like them at El Mirage and Bonneville.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »
What tires are you refering to specificaly

Before Goodyear developed a real race front tire for Top Fuel and dragsters in general, Avon was the popular brand.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »
What tires did the rocket racers use in the 70's?

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »
I personally enjoy seeing Ratliff's stuff, and I like to learn something new to me even if it's old and maybe not relevant.  The rocket info is interesting, and I wonder how many people running rocket cars knew about the ME-163 rocket plane and its propensity to melt the pilot if they got a fuel leak using the same fuel used in the cars.  Having accidentally inhaled a good whiff of nitromethane once, I am glad I never got close to a rocket car.  I guess I should start work on my Harley Hummer LSR bike, so this it it for me.

The really brave guys were the russkies who test flew a rocket fighter prototype that burned nitric acid and kerosene.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:47:25 PM by Ratliff »