Author Topic: Front Roll Cage Hoop  (Read 6697 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Front Roll Cage Hoop
« on: March 26, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
The rule book says:

The front hoop of the roll cage shall be at least 3 inchs in front of the driver's helmet while the driver is in his normal driving position.
In the rule book it looks like they are measuring from the top peak in the helmet and they show the measurement at an angle, which would be different than vertical.

-  

In this picture where on the helmet do I start measuring the 3 inches?  This is in a lakester with the driver in a prone position and his head is tilted forward.  The helmet is in the position it will be in while worn.

I am trying to mock up the cockpit and seat.  

Thanks, Sum

Lakester Construction In
 Progress

LittleLiner

Re: Front Roll Cage Hoop
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
SUM

May I suggest if you plan to make the cage out of wood that you go with Hickory or Red Oak.  It is my experience that white pine is difficult to weld. .

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »
It is my experience that white pine is difficult to weld.  
They make white pine wire for migs now   ;)  .

c ya, Sum

Lakester Construction In
 Progress

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »
Sum
 One thing you want to do is have on a full fire suit when you start fitting yourself in the cockpit, it will make a difference, You might even make a PVC mock up prior to welding any tubing. Make sure everything is in reach when fully dressed and in the cockpit. We have had cars come to the lakes and salt and when the driver got in nothing fit and a couple couldn.t get out of the car.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks Glen.  I don't have the fire suit yet, but will be able to borrow a friend's when he comes through this summer.  I've been using one of those really thick work coveralls and I've still tried to leave a little more room.  Right now I have it about 1 inch wider than I need at the moment.  How do you feel about that?

This will be a real incentive not to put on weight.  I've seen a couple guys get stuck in their cars.

c ya, Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
Sum
 Thats a good start. Fire suits are more restrictive then heavy coveralls etc. It's best to have the real thing when fitting, including the placement of fire bottle controls, fuel shut off etc. This should be done with the fire suit, and the arm restraints on and attached to the seat belt. This stuff is hard to change at bonneville. Keep me posted and I will help where I can.
 Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
When you have your suit built if you don't buy a ready made one, be sure to get the sleeves pointed the way you expect to use it.
 If you are just going to stand around with your hands inyour pockets for pictures, the standard arm straight down will be just fine.
 The worst case is the laydown biker that reaches forward to steer.
 Take any fitted suit coat and see what happens when you reach forward beyond straight down.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »
Sum, when I bought my firesuit from Diest eight years ago, I went to their shop to be fitted.  Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to tell the seamstress that I would be driving in a semi-crouch position, having long legs.  The result was that when I got  belted in, my voice went up about three octives, and I couldn't breathe.  I took the pants back and they added to the sides of the legs... what a difference.  Anyway, if you measure yourself, go big, or you won't be able to move once you get in.................Fat Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
Keep me posted and I will help where I can.
 Glen  
Thanks.  I wish I could get all of those things now, but I just don't have the money.  I might have to use my friend's suit the first year.  I've tried it on and it fits good, so that is a good thing.

Thanks Bob and Jack, those are good points that I wouldn't have thought about.  My friend has a two piece suit and thinks a one piece might take up less room in a tight cockpit as there would be no overlap around the waste.  He is an ex-fireman and also mentioned if he did it again he would get a one piece as he feels it would be safer in a fire.  Any thoughts on that?

I've taken lots of cockpit pictures when I've been there, so that is helping some.

c ya, Sum

<small>[ March 28, 2005, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Sumner ]</small>

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »
"seamstress", see he did get the girl cut.
 A single piece suit has the advantage that it is easier for help to get you out of the vehicle.
 When they lift on the shoulders, your butt will be right behind.
 A 2 piece lets you take the jacket off to cool off but the disadvantages outweight the comfort.
 Another mistake is to get the 1 piece so short that you struggle to get the top off and tie it around your belt line.
 Remember your belt line moves up and down as well as in and out over the years, but a cut on a fire suit is forever.
 I asked Burke LeSage why he drove so many different cars ?
 He said because he fit.
 Burk is small.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »
Looking good Sum!!!!
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
Sum
   When Al built his lakester, he thought it would look good with vinyl upholstery. Vinyl on 1/4" foam. He couldn't get in the car, end of upholstery.
   Any way, living out where you do, you probably have some insulated coveralls. When your friend gets there see how the coveralls bulk compares to the fire suit. It might give you a close example to the real thing to size with until you get them.
 Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 09:46:00 AM »
Okay, here's something that might help get you measured correctly -- even though it's for bike leathers...

Z Custom Leathers, where we get our suits (and so do quite a few other bike racers) has measurement pages online.  Print out one for yourself -- you can choose "men's" or "women's".  Men's has about 20 measurements, women's has 24 (vive la difference!).  You also specify what type of vehicle you'll be riding when wearing -- sport bike, cruiser, go-kart, and so on.  That is, they can make the suit to fit correctly for the position you'll be in WHILE AT THE CONTROLS.  You can specify snug, standard, or "relaxed".  I even told them what type and amount of underwear I'd wear so they could allow for that, and for the body armor under the suit, too.  They ask you to have someone measure you -- so your arms, for instance, can be flexed just right for the position you'll be in.

I don't know if firesuit manufacturers have this kind of measurement stuff available, but you could do worse than go to www.zcustom.com and print out the measurement pages and follow them when you're ordering your firesuit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »
don't know if firesuit manufacturers have this kind of measurement stuff available, but you could do worse than go to www.zcustom.com and print out the measurement pages and follow them when you're ordering your firesuit.

Thanks.  I'm going to be at the Street Rod Nationals in Oklahoma City in a couple weeks and I plan on going by Stroud's.  I'll talk to them about a suit, helmet, belts, chute, etc..  Some of this I probably won't buy until later so I have the most current dates on them, but I'll probably get the belts now, so I can build attachment points into the car during construction.

c ya, Sum

wmtsmith

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
Get Jenny to measure you while are there---you will like their service and products