Author Topic: Finished..............well.............  (Read 17414 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Finished..............well.............
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:48:36 PM »
No I didn't finish the car  :cry:, but I finished updating the build pictures to the present minus yesterday's work..

========================================================

................... exhaust/tail.......................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-3/construction%20page-119.html

.............. more exhaust and center section of the top.........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-3/construction%20page-120.html

.................... finish inlet........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-3/construction%20page-121.html

.................. finish primary side of exhaust system......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-3/construction%20page-122.html

................ finish inlet system from scoop to air box ...................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-3/construction%20page-123.html

............. finished air inlet/exhaust/tail except for paint.

Now for the body...........

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:52:42 PM by Sumner »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Finished..............well.............
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »
Where's the PROP go, oops thats another guy, sorry  :-D :roll:
Keep it up Sum, lots of work to build from the ground up. See ya soon.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
Starting to look really good Sum. Keep at it.

Pete

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:36 PM »
Where's the PROP go, oops thats another guy, sorry  :-D :roll:

Keep it up Sum, lots of work to build from the ground up. See ya soon.

Looks good! Can't wait to see the finished product pics!  :-D

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »
Sum,
Looking great!! Really looks like you could be rolling on some salt with it next year!!!

See you at the salt!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:18:27 PM »
Sum....put the torch down....put some wheels on it and roll it across some scales...ya got a lot of metal in it, ya may have some problems if it weighs more than 1400lbs...
kr

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »
Sum, looks great.
I cant see how you will get the motor out.

Posted on: Today at 07:18:27 PMPosted by: 1212FBGS 
Insert Quote
Sum....put the torch down....put some wheels on it and roll it across some scales...ya got a lot of metal in it, ya may have some problems if it weighs more than 1400lbs...
kr

Good to see you back KR.

I think the square tube makes it look heavy.....if you squint and see round tubes it doesnt look so heavy.
It all depends on the wall thickness Sum used.....(if its 1/4 wall....it will be heavy!)

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline power58

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »
looks like a great foundation for a great car. Thanks for the photos. Quality work.
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline Geo

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »
Wow! Sumner. :-o

I've been watching from the beginning and every time I go to see what you have done I am more impressed.  Your machining and welding skills have become rauther professional. 8-)

I finally figured out what it is!  A device that changes regular air going into the small hole into hot unbreathable air at the other end of the 12 foot tube where there is a slightly larger hole. :-D

Geo

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »
Sum, looks great.
I cant see how you will get the motor out.

Posted on: Today at 07:18:27 PMPosted by: 1212FBGS 
Insert Quote
kr

Good to see you back KR.

I think the square tube makes it look heavy.....if you squint and see round tubes it doesn't look so heavy.
It all depends on the wall thickness Sum used.....(if its 1/4 wall....it will be heavy!)

Thanks and the motor comes out, I think :-).  Yes the square tube looks heavy.  It is .120 wall (not .250) and all the little non-structural stuff is thin wall tubing.  The car from the bottom (not the ground as it has a round bottom and I wanted it off the ground 6 inches) to the top of the cage is 30 inches and it is 22 inches wide.  The pods are 6 inches high and 12 inches wide so the frontal area minus the wheels/tires is under 6 square feet total.  It looks bigger than it is as I shoot all the pictures at as wide angel as my camera will go.  For instance the new intake/exhaust/tail on the top is only 8 inches high and 12 feet long.  To me in the pictures it looks like more.  Yes the car is long, about 24 feet, but there really isn't much in the last 8 feet.  I'm following Pork Pie's advice that it is as important how you go out of the air as how you went into it.

I don't want to weigh it yet as it will weigh what it weighs and I'm starting on the body and I use the sides of the build table and a big upright to see where all the body attach points are to keep the car identical side to side.  If I go moving it around I'll have a hard time reestablishing that relationship.

Kent I know of at least one motorcycle powered lakester that holds lots of records that is over 1400 lbs.  Mind telling me how much your streamliner weighs?  I know I'm heavy for this motor, but if it doesn't run this fall chances are it might never go down the salt with this motor.  I think a blown 'busa will move it especially after a good push start. 

If it doesn't run or never sets a record it has still been a hell of a ride getting this far and if it weighs too much I'll just get the plasma cutter out and start making holes and send them to you Kent  :wink:.

Thanks for taking a look at it guys and you too Deb,

Sum
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:19:19 PM by Sumner »

Offline hitz

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:00:18 AM »
Sum, it looks like you've been hitting it hard on your project. You certainly aren't afraid to try new ideas, are you?

I had a target weight of 2000# pounds when I started and I am there now with a gallon of gas and me in the cockpit. Probably not over 2150# when it hits the salt. Bet yours is not much under that!

I think yours will be a beautiful and original looking car. Now if we can get these lakesters done and and going down the salt we'll find out what we've made. I'll bet we have fun! :-D

See you SW

Harv

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »
Poor man's scale:  (Well, not that cheap, but still easy to use) -- we've got a pallet jack with a built-in digital scale.  Put a stack of pallets under the car, jack it up, read the weight.  Ditto anybody's vehicle -- easier than weighing each wheel.  There's the inherent not-so-good part of it, though, in that if you want to determine the weight at each wheel (for balance or whatever) you'll still need to do it one at a time.  But for a quick idea of weight -- go to your local hardward shop that's got such a pallet jack and borrow it for a few minutes.

Yes, Sum, I know you don't care at this point.  I just wanted to show off some of my vast reservoir of knowledge of things unrelated to anything.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DallasV

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:10:15 PM »
Looks good Sum....would have been a lot better and cheaper if you used COMPOSITES, Ha.
Can't wait to see it on the salt.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
Remarkable achievement Sum. When you are on the starting line waiting for the go signal you will truly understand what you have accomplished. Not many build the ENTIRE vehicle by themselves. Not like living in L.A. where a quick car ride will access any part or service. You must have racked up many $$ in rural delivery surcharges.  :-D  As has been said, the journey is often as important as the destination. Your build has reached the Great Salt Lake, the Flats are not far beyond. Well done.   Larry

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
2230.... gsxr, busa, it dont matter.... the chain aint gonna like anything over 1600 lbs.... no really Sum... your frame is fixtured straight... Its time to get it off the platform so you can get it out in the sunlight and look under it... you need to find all those missing welds before they get burried under other stuff and you cant get to them to weld um....really sum, off the stand and on it wheels...love ya
kr