Author Topic: Weight  (Read 6488 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Weight
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
That is why I think a 80/81 Trans Am, FireBird or Camaro would be a better choice since I will only run in Classic Category...  My search is for a Trans Am, I  think it has better front area than a Camaro.

I believe the Monza would be a  better choice and is more aero than any of those mentioned.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
I had a Monza back in the day. The wing shape of the body made it lift but it was fast.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:33:17 AM by racer x »
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 11:35:04 PM »
Maguromic,

I agree the Monza would be a bit better...  2 reasons it is not my first choice.

1. It is harder to find one in decent shape around here.
2. I am not sure I can fit in it.. I am 6ft, 370lbs,,,
    (not extremely flexible due to a M/C crash that broke 13 bones and a few pounds of stainless steel and titanium parts holding me together)

If I could find a Monza that has been drag raced and see if I can get in and out,m that would help make the final decision,, I know I can get in and out of the Trans Am   style bodies,,, (longer doors)
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59:01 PM »
Cajun Kid,

You have to drive what makes you feel comfortable.  Your idea of trying a Monza is a  good idea.  Do any show up to Maxton or any of the other races in your neck of the woods.  Don't let you hight and weight hold you back.  I have seen several 6 foot close to or over 300 lbs guys in roadsters.

I completely understand what you mean by having metal holding you together. I am in the same boat.  I have so much metal I travel with a medical card, otherwise when all the alarms go off at the airport they take me to a private room for a search. :-o
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 09:14:31 AM »
At the airport... been there done that,, after 9/11 it made air travel for even worse, they don't except the medical card,,, I still get the wand, frisk and sometimes the private room,,, hmmm now one time at Miami Airport,, the busy line I got in was a blessing,,, the security agent was a 6ft. Tall Bodacious Blonde,, and the frisk was so good, I just about turned around to go back through the line again..  :evil:
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Cajun, good job staying on topic....  :-D  Looks like you have built in ballast and a steering dampener....  :-D  :-D  :-D  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »
Think I got it figured out?
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »
Am I on track?
Weight = good for starting line traction, may be needed for quite a while for same, but may interfere with stability (i.e., CG vs. CP) as speed gets well up. YRMV = given.

Does ballast have to be fixed in place, or merely "secure against loss"?
(some will see where I'm going here) :-D

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »
Am I on track?
Weight = good for starting line traction, may be needed for quite a while for same, but may interfere with stability (i.e., CG vs. CP) as speed gets well up. YRMV = given.

Does ballast have to be fixed in place, or merely "secure against loss"?
(some will see where I'm going here) :-D

With the Stude we added about 1000 lbs. last year and went faster.  We are adding another 500# this year and Hooley, John, Patrick and Jerry just did that.  My theory is it isn't going to hurt us accelerating as right now we can only use 25-30% throttle in 1st and 2nd without spinning the tires and our first gear is a very high 1.90 with a 2.47 rear.  I'm hoping the extra weight will help us in 1st and 2nd with traction we need there and again at the top of 3rd and in 4th where we have had problems breaking the tires loose when we get to the "aero wall".

We need to accelerate faster to hopefully get our 2 1/4 speed up 8-10 mph if we are going to break 250, which is our goal.

Our added weight is going in to hopefully move the CG forward another couple inches and will only result in about 250 lbs. more on the rear as we have been keeping the car at a 50/50 balance, which in our case according to some crude calculations has kept the CG ahead of the CP by 6-8 inches.

I'm not sure if anyone has gone with movable weights that could move during a run.  I for sure would want to get a ruling in writing before I proceeded with that.  In our case I don't see how it could be done with all the other packaging requirements.  Also as I mentioned above you need the required weight on the back tires on both ends of the run, so I would think moving it forward for stability on the top end of the run would then get away from the weight you need at that point of the run for traction to overcome the aero drag, but I don't know for sure what you have in mind.

Keep us informed,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 12:07:54 AM »
Mike,  I used 4" square1/4 wall tubing which I welded a section of 1/4' 4x3 angle  one before I filled with lead and one after and drilled a 1/2' hole for mounting to frame---I suggest you not make them over 100#---I made one for a specific place and it weighs 160# and it is a real bitch to deal with

this system makes it easy to relocatre the weight..
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!