Author Topic: ???????  (Read 8273 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
???????
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »
OK, I waited two days before asking thinking someone would address this so I wouldn't have to be the bad guy. What did you guy's do to Rattliff?? Did he pick up his toys and go home. :cry: I see he was a guest yesterday and a newbie today. Did he use up all of his alotted post's and had to start over?  :-o
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: ???????
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »
 What did you guy's do to Rattliff?? Did he pick up his toys and go home.

One can always hope!!!
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »
I'm not sure what happened, although I was watching the posts on motorcycle safety when I noticed his status had changed to "guest".  A recent inspection of the members list indicates that he has re-registered, but has made no posts.

Here's what I do know.  Two of the times I'm aware of when Franklin got into, well, for lack of a better word, "trouble", were during threads concerning safety.  It's a hot-button issue for all of us.

It's also clear by reading through past posts that, stylistically, Franklin had what many probably think is an off-putting habit of making a single statement, followed by text, or a link.  Rather than promoting his argument or proposal in his own words, he would just drop an article on our desktops and see where it went.  I consider it akin to dropping a few flakes of food in the aquarium and see which fishes came to the surface to nibble.

Also, Franklin is a fan of rocket and jet propelled vehicles, which puts him in a camp that, to some, is an eccentric side-show to the larger, better represented, wheel-driven, grass roots faction in LSR.

Personally, as a volunteer moderator, and the one who locked up the Funny Car Safety link after it turned into an off topic shouting match, I am a bit taken aback by the amount of time I've had to keep an eye on Ratliff's posts and the comments they have prompted.  Sure, we're a competitive lot - we race or build racecars and bikes, or have an acute interest in them.  None of us like to lose, especially an argument.  But does ripping on an eccentric do anything to make any of us better?  Conversely, does being unaware of how one is perceived, or perhaps, uncaring as to how one is perceived, give one the right to stand in self righteous indignation when one's views are questioned?

I've read some of Ratliff's posts and rolled my eyes, thinking, "Here we go again".  But I've also read some where I said, "That's an interesting angle", and it's sent me off to discover something new.  Additionally, I've seen Ratliff's "Ignore" numbers fluctuate up and down, which leads me to believe that even those who like him the least occasionally went back and checked out his posts.

Sticking to topic can solve most of this.  That would include not questioning someone's motives, intentions or intelligence.  The topic is what the thread is about - the topic is not about who posted it. 

One other thing - while privately owned, this is a publicly viewed forum.  Do we really want to take our trash to town?

These are my personal views.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
Too many racers think with their egos not their brains. Or deceive themselves into thinking they're smarter than they are simply because they have a big bank account or a big line of credit. That's why when someone introduces an idea they haven't thought of it's must be suspect because if it were a good idea they would have already thought of it.

Outside of the dry lakes clique, it’s fuel roadsters and competition coupes that are the peculiar cars.

In the larger world, it’s jet dragsters and Funny Cars that are seen by millions of people each year. It’s jet and rocket land speed cars that get papers written about them published in engineering journals. It’s jet and rocket land speed cars that get in the history books.

It was rocket drag bike racers who were the first to adopt rider drag chutes. It was a rocket drag bike racer who verified the effectiveness of rider drag chutes.

It was jet and rocket land speed cars that verified the practicality of tireless wheels since used by many Bonneville racers for the front ends of their cars.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:35:07 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »
Outside of the dry lakes clique, it’s fuel roadsters and competition coupes that are the peculiar cars.

In the larger world, it’s jet dragsters and Funny Cars that are seen by millions of people each year. It’s jet and rocket land speed cars that get papers written about them published in engineering journals. It’s jet and rocket land speed cars that get in the history books.

It was rocket drag bike racers who were the first to adopt rider drag chutes. It was a rocket drag bike racer who verified the effectiveness of rider drag chutes.

It was jet and rocket land speed cars that verified the practicality of tireless wheels since used by many Bonneville racers for the front ends of their cars.

Unfortunately your not preaching to the right choir.  Most of us are interested in all forms of land speed racing and the history there in and some of us are also interested in circle track racing and drag racing.  What this site is mainly about and the what the majority of its members are about is "fuel roadsters and competition coupes" and other cars/bikes that fit the structure of land speed racing under the rules of SCTA, USFRA, ECTA and DLRA.

I've often tried to make a point on something that maybe I feel differently about than others.  I make my case and then will spend a couple posts maybe trying to defend it.  If you do more and try to hammer your point home relentlessly you will lose the respect of those who are your friends and will find yourself being reduced to being irrelevant.

Hopefully you will consider this approach and I will continue to read what you have to say instead starting to get turned off reading what you have to say as has been the case recently.

c ya,

Sum

bak189

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »
Landspeed Racing..............SCTA/BNI....USFRA.......
ECTA.....DLRA............AND............................................. BUB ALL M/C Speed Trials

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
Landspeed Racing..............SCTA/BNI....USFRA.......
ECTA.....DLRA............AND............................................. BUB ALL M/C Speed Trials

The Texas Mile.

Where the only pavement land speed record over 300 mph was set.

With a jet car.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
If you want to find out about Ratliff just google his name and you will see it's not only LSR he's an expert in it's everything. He knows all  :evil:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:03:49 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline aircap

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »
If you want to find out about Ratliff just google his name and you will see it's not only LSR he's an expert in it's everything.

Self-proclaimed "World's Foremost Authority", Franklin takes abuse from worldwide sources - and keeps on rockin'.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
"If you want to find out about Ratliff just google his name and you will see it's not only LSR he's an expert in it's everything. He knows all"

OK, I Googled. There has to be more than one Ratliff he cant have that much free time!!!  Maybe he is a expert in cloning technology.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
Franklin, you miss the point that this isn't the rest of the world, it's LSR. Most of what you post is outside ANYBODY'S area of interest.

Please look up the word dialogue, then look up the word diatribe.
Oh wait, let me do it for you.
di·a·logue
1: a written composition in which two or more characters are represented as conversing

2 a: a conversation between two or more persons; also : a similar exchange between a person and something else (as a computer) b: an exchange of ideas and opinions <organized a series of dialogues on human rights> c: a discussion between representatives of parties to a conflict that is aimed at resolution <a constructive dialogue between loggers and environmentalists>

di·a·tribe
1archaic : a prolonged discourse

2: a bitter and abusive speech or writing

Yep, what you post is a diatribe. The subjects are rarely of interest, you never enter into discussion, just keep repeating the same old thing. The same old thing being some obtuse, arcane thing that may or may not have been used once on the planet and holds no interest to the rest of the world because there are more drawbacks then benefits.

I also introduce to you the third "d" word, dense

Main Entry:
    dense Listen to the pronunciation of dense
Pronunciation:
    \ˈden(t)s\
Function:
    adjective
Inflected Form(s):
    dens·er; dens·est
Etymology:
    Latin densus; akin to Greek dasys thick with hair or leaves
Date:
    15th century

1 a: marked by compactness or crowding together of parts <dense vegetation> <dense traffic> b: having a high mass per unit volume <carbon dioxide is a dense gas>

2 a: slow to understand : stupid, thickheaded <was too dense to get the joke> b: extreme <dense ignorance>

3: having between any two elements at least one element <the set of rational numbers is dense>

4: demanding concentration to follow or comprehend <dense prose>5: having high or relatively high opacity <a dense fog> <a dense photographic negative>
synonyms see stupid
— dense·ly adverb
— dense·ness Listen to the pronunciation of denseness \ˈden(t)-snəs\ noun

You pick the correct number.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
Franklin, you miss the point that this isn't the rest of the world, it's LSR. Most of what you post is outside ANYBODY'S area of interest.

Please look up the word dialogue, then look up the word diatribe.
Oh wait, let me do it for you.
di·a·logue
1: a written composition in which two or more characters are represented as conversing

2 a: a conversation between two or more persons; also : a similar exchange between a person and something else (as a computer) b: an exchange of ideas and opinions <organized a series of dialogues on human rights> c: a discussion between representatives of parties to a conflict that is aimed at resolution <a constructive dialogue between loggers and environmentalists>

di·a·tribe
1archaic : a prolonged discourse

2: a bitter and abusive speech or writing

Yep, what you post is a diatribe. The subjects are rarely of interest, you never enter into discussion, just keep repeating the same old thing. The same old thing being some obtuse, arcane thing that may or may not have been used once on the planet and holds no interest to the rest of the world because there are more drawbacks then benefits.

I also introduce to you the third "d" word, dense

Main Entry:
    dense Listen to the pronunciation of dense
Pronunciation:
    \ˈden(t)s\
Function:
    adjective
Inflected Form(s):
    dens·er; dens·est
Etymology:
    Latin densus; akin to Greek dasys thick with hair or leaves
Date:
    15th century

1 a: marked by compactness or crowding together of parts <dense vegetation> <dense traffic> b: having a high mass per unit volume <carbon dioxide is a dense gas>

2 a: slow to understand : stupid, thickheaded <was too dense to get the joke> b: extreme <dense ignorance>

3: having between any two elements at least one element <the set of rational numbers is dense>

4: demanding concentration to follow or comprehend <dense prose>5: having high or relatively high opacity <a dense fog> <a dense photographic negative>
synonyms see stupid
— dense·ly adverb
— dense·ness Listen to the pronunciation of denseness \ˈden(t)-snəs\ noun

You pick the correct number.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »
Dean, he doesn't understand, he doesn't have anything else to do except be  a PEST
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »
Glen, old buddy, I do get it.

And I am really enjoying the ride. :-D

And isn't the response proof of the theory?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
Glen, old buddy, I do get it.

And I am really enjoying the ride. :-D

And isn't the response proof of the theory?

Sometimes any response is more than is warranted.