Author Topic: Apoligize/ Head rest question  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Apoligize/ Head rest question
« on: July 21, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »
First off I apologize for so many posts on subjects, I am just trying to be prepared for tech inspection.

I was told that I have to have something on my aluminum racing seat that would prevent the drivers head from going back and fourth or side to side in the event of a crash.
I do have my neck collar and such along with my 5 pt harness.

I have read in the gas coupe class in the current rule book and I have not seen anything concerning metal headrest's or items that would prevent the drivers head from going back and fourth and side to side.

I have looked on Kirkey's website and they do offer these, however my question is are they required for 2008 racing season?
Also I will be attending speed week as a spectator, would it be worth it to bring the car to the event and have it teched there before WOS?  Would it cost anything?

TIA

Clay
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:24:04 PM by Clay Pitkin »
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Apoligize/ Head rest question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:44:22 PM »
!st. You don't need to apologize for asking a question, that's what this forum is for. A question for you is do you have an SCTA log book and chassis sticker for the car. If not bringing the car to the salt would be a good idea to check it out and have any changes made  / entered into the log book for corrections, or changes required by the inspectors. You can buy the log book there and after the big inspection you can bring your car to the insp. area ( Monday) and get it eye balled under less pressure. The log book is a good place to keep and driver and car documents together. Always keep it in the push vehicle during the event. See you on the salt. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
2008 rule book top of page 24:

Lateral movement:  The structure shall provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 2 in. per side.  See Section 3.B.1

also page 26

3.C  Head Rest:

A padded headrest shall be installed in all vehicles to prevent whiplash.  All drivers shall have the padding within 2 in. of the back of the helmet.

Don't worry about how many questions you ask,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »
Deleted all my words they Dittoed what Glen said,

Dang Sum, a guy cant get a word in edgewise with this group..... anymore as I hit Post yet again  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »
If you have a log book, your vehicle can be inspected right along with that meet's entries at no additional expense.  The meet entry fee is paid after inspection (unless pre-entered).

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
I would give the people racing the head of the line. With 485 or more entries it's only fair not to tie up the line with a car that might not be running at SW. We get several new cars each year that tow up only to make sure they comply. The next day is usually pretty quiet and Sunday is a good day to see what others are going through in inspection. Plus the line is a lot shorter the 2nd day.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
If I am not mistaken the horse collar will not be legal anymore.
Could be wrong.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »
Actually, I think that from the third day on is the best for looking at a new car. In the past I have had Jim Travis do this kind of inspection along with driver changes and inspection corrections.

Jim is very talented and an experienced builder of all types of race cars. Listen to him if he offers a suggestion.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:22:18 PM »
The horse collar is not outlawed. You can wear one if you want. All the other demensions for movement listed in the book must be met. I wore one in May and nothing was said. The 2" on either was checked. IMO As competitors begin to use "Hans" type devices the use of the collar will just disappear.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro