Author Topic: LSR tires on motorcycles??  (Read 8448 times)

Offline isiahstites

LSR tires on motorcycles??
« on: July 19, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »
I know that the motorcycle streamliners are using tires rated over 300 mph. I am curious what they are running and if you know of anyone running them on a conventional motorcycle. I know Ed Mabrys bikes had LSR tires and I know of another bike that has them, but I am curious who else has ran them?

Essentially the tires the bike liners are using are car tires correct? Any info would appreciated.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

Re: LSR tires on motorcycles??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:23:10 PM »
Surely someone has a little bit of info......... :-D

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:36:30 PM »
Scott, go to links and log onto the web sites for MC liners. There should be a few and see if they show type of tires they use.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »
Scott, go to links and log onto the web sites for MC liners. There should be a few and see if they show type of tires they use.

Great idea Glen!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »
scott i think a lot of liners use goodyear frontrunners i know sam wheelers front was a 22 x 2.5  goodyear he ran 355 mph before it went flat im not sure if it was a lsr tire or a tire for the front of a dragster which is a 22 x 2.5 x 17 goodyear  --if you find out let me know  sheri and i run them on our bikes not because of the speed rating but because they are short and thin and we are very optimistic---- thanks  willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »
scott i think a lot of liners use goodyear frontrunners i know sam wheelers front was a 22 x 2.5  goodyear he ran 355 mph before it went flat im not sure if it was a lsr tire or a tire for the front of a dragster which is a 22 x 2.5 x 17 goodyear  --if you find out let me know  sheri and i run them on our bikes not because of the speed rating but because they are short and thin and we are very optimistic---- thanks  willie

Willie - thanks for the info.......I have read about the Front Runners, and this morning while searching for info I found that you were running the 22 x 2.5. What size rim are your running? Is that tire a 300 mph tire? Also is it a motorcycle tire or a car tire?

Scott
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:43:45 PM by isiahstites »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »
scott you will need about 165 hp to go 200 mph and 382 to go 265 you should be good with a ZR rated tire --sheri and i run the 22 x 2.5 x 17 just because they are short and thin --i changed my front and sidecar wheels from 80--90 --21s and with no changes to the engine (still sealed from speedwee 07) bumped the sc-pg record by 7 mph --i did narrow up the frame a little --better tuck --and took all of the NOS stuff off of the sidecar  which helped a little --O yes the weight of the wheels-- old wheel tire and bearings 28 lbs.--new wheel tire and bearings 8 lbs healped a little    willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 08:26:14 PM »
Willie,

Sams front tire was one from the front of a TFD and is no longer made...

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
scott you will need about 165 hp to go 200 mph and 382 to go 265 you should be good with a ZR rated tire

Willie my friend, who said they were for my current bike??

Scott

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »
john do you know what brand and size sams tire was-

scott --a sidecar maybe                                                 willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »

scott --a sidecar maybe                                                 willie buchta

Willie he runs Goodyears 17 x 2.5 for the front and 15 x 4.5 in the rear.........it is on his website under specs.

Scott

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
scott those tires are available from goodyear  and hooser  the goodyears are 149 dollars through summit racing
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 09:19:30 PM »
Willie,

Scott's new bike might be a Cowasaki, a Try'Umph, a Hawnda, a Bee Emm DoubleYou, a Ape Prill E Ah, a RowTax, a Yahmaa Haw, or even a  SueZook Key,

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »

Sam's front tire was made for Shirley Muldowney.

(Rick Vesco holding the tire and Dave Despain looking at it.)

That is the problem as there are no more easily available and they also have as noted had problems over 340 or so.  Due to this he is returning to the option of trying a metal front wheel/tire.

Above is a picture of Sam's rear tire.  To me it looks like a Goodyear??

==========================================================================

On the rear at least I am pretty sure that BUB 7 is running Goodyear landspeed car tires (not the real narrow one) that look like front runners.  

They also had a tire problem and I personally feel they might be tire limited.

====================================================================

I am also pretty sure that Mike's Ack Attack is running MT's and is the only one of the four main contenders for the land speed motorcycle record at this time that is really running tires that are designed for 400+ speeds.

========================================================================

And the last of the big 4 ...........  Max's liner I'm not sure.  Maybe it is on his site or Stainless or he can let us know.

=========================================================

Other liners:

Looks like the J & P Cycles Harley powered Streamliner  appears to be running Goodyears in the back at least.

I think this might be Kent's bodywork and old liner.

==========================================================================
All of the above pictures came from my site here..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/b-ville%20meets/2006%20BUB-index.html

Willie most if not all of these guys are running the "true" Goodyear land speed tires if they are running Goodyears and not the front runners that look the same.

c ya,

Sum

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:26:54 PM by Sumner »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 09:59:28 PM »
thanks sumner  sheri and i both run goodyear eagle 22 x 2.5 x 17 made for top fuel cars --if im repeating myself im sorry i should be at el mirage finished the corse walk getting ready to eat dinner with everyone we havent seen sence june --i guess thats what makes us a little tense today  miss all of you  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta