Author Topic: safe motorcycles LOL  (Read 28669 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: safe motorcycles LOL
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »
SSS, I had a peg issue kinda like that many moons ago. I was at 7-10 Drag Strip near Pembroke NC doing a match race and was asked to ride a friends Kawasaki 750 2 stroke Triple.. Do you remember those wicked bikes?  I launched hard front wheel got big air, came down for shift to second and no peg in sight, it folded up and stuck,, hmm, I found the shifter and and made it, but darn was it NOT FUN...

Guess the moral of the stories are,, ride the bike before you race the bike...

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »
Video of a rider getting blown off his bike at 200+ mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRXI0XRNaI&feature=related

One rider of Top Fuel bikes (Elmer Trett) has died as a result of separating from his bike. Another (Bill Furr) almost died.

Below another video of another Top Fuel bike rider getting blown off his bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwwuonAKpY

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:57:20 PM by Ratliff »

Offline JimL

Re: safe electric system kill method...
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2008, 02:12:19 AM »
My tether switch (grounding type) is wired to connect to my main power source, immediately after my primary fuse.  If the tether gets pulled, it blows the main fuse, and disables the entire electrical system.  This includes the solenoid wire for the starter relay.  My concern would be for a course worker or emergency responder accidentally catching the electric starter button if my bike is being picked up or moved.  I don't want the engine to start cranking while the bike might be in gear.

Regards, JimL

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »
When is your next crash going to be? Since you can't answer that, and only say "soon", you can't predict what the exact details are going to be.

What you want to do is slide to a stop with the gear protecting you.

You don't want to tumble. You don't want to hit the ground with any kind of force. You don't want any kind of involvement with the bike, from falling off or having it catch up with you.

And you have no say in what attitude your body will be in at any step of the process. Getting a chute to deploy in anything other than a favorable position could make the situation worse, not better.

Parachutes take time to deploy. They also require a minimum or turbulence, something that doesn't happen on a motorcycle. And they don't deploy backwards.

I think wearing the best gear money can buy will minimize your hospital stay. The best you can hope for is to save your life. Keeping everything intact isn't a sure bet.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.