Author Topic: lets keep it safe  (Read 9097 times)

John Romero

Re: lets keep it safe
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 12:57:43 AM »
2. Ejection seats are equipped with a cable retractor mechanism connected to straps around the pilot's ankles. When ejection is iniated, the mechanism pulls the pilot's feet tight against the seat. In land speed racing this same thing could be used to reduce injury by limiting movement of the driver's legs.
I would think the reason to restrain legs during an ejection is to keep them from being blown back over your head and breaking your legs or pelvis. As to doing it in a car you are assuming that your feet could come back to the front of the seat which in many cars, not just streamliners, it not possible. It is not possible in my coupe. Also, you would now be attached to your car and if you wanted out it's another thing to undo. You also could not put on the brakes anymore.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »
The ignition interrupter sound like a great idea. Where did you find it?

Pete

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 01:36:48 AM »
I got mine from Roush, I have had a relationship with them from my road racing days and they have been kind enough to help with my roadster project.  But they are available from Roush racing or BSR products for about $600 or they show up on Ebay quit often for about $200 or less new.  The part numbers are 30-107-0023, 30-107-0026 and 30-107-0032   The only difference between them is the brake pressure sensor from 1,100 to 1,300 respectively. Its a very simple kit to install and cheap insurance.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:51:10 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

saltfever

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 04:37:25 AM »
. . . . I have incorporated a Roush ignition interrupter system that cuts the ignition in the case of a stuck throttle.  . . . .Its used in some of the top forms of auto racing and is cheap insurance.
Very interesting and a great idea for carburetors. What does it cost?  I notice that it was designed and implemented for NASCAR. They use carbs. However, if you have a mechanical fuel injection system and the required mechanical fuel shutoff, do you think it is needed? If you are running EFI there can also be an switch to the electric fuel pump. My question is how much redundancy is needed for either FI system? Does your roadster run carb or FI?

Along the same lines as above: Has anybody heard of an out-of-position switch? Such a device would shut off the ignition if the car went on its side or flipped. 

Ratliff

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
2. Ejection seats are equipped with a cable retractor mechanism connected to straps around the pilot's ankles. When ejection is iniated, the mechanism pulls the pilot's feet tight against the seat. In land speed racing this same thing could be used to reduce injury by limiting movement of the driver's legs.
I would think the reason to restrain legs during an ejection is to keep them from being blown back over your head and breaking your legs or pelvis. As to doing it in a car you are assuming that your feet could come back to the front of the seat which in many cars, not just streamliners, it not possible. It is not possible in my coupe. Also, you would now be attached to your car and if you wanted out it's another thing to undo. You also could not put on the brakes anymore.

By using a tilt switch, the leg restraint mechanism would not activate unless the car was already in an attitude where the brakes were no longer useful.

Most of a person's weight is in their legs, so by restraining the legs once a crash is in progress the body restraint harness would be that much more effective.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 10:42:34 AM »
There are some people who just may have more of their weight intestinely---woops ----I mean internally
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
Saltfever, My roadster is blown fuel injected.  When the system triggers the ignition shut off it also triggers a solenoid that is hooked to a fuel shutoff, which is separate from my manual fuel shutoff.

I also have a tilt system on my parachutes, the same system that is used by the Ack stream liner.  The guys at the company that make the switch are really great guys to deal with and they mentioned that there are a few cars on the salt with the tilt switch.  http://www.riekerinc.com/E-Inclinometers/SlopeAlert.htm

Another area I think that is a little overlooked is the seat fit. In the early 90’s when I was testing a IMSA car at Willow Springs, I was involved in a bad accident. I spent three weeks in the Lancaster hospital, because the seat collapsed and the only thing holding me was the seat belts.  Ever since then I have used a seat insert that is fitted to my body. I have moved my seat and insert from every racecar I have ever driven. It is made out of a material that is similar to the liner material in helmets and was made by Bald Sports http://www.baldspotsports.com   

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:01:04 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »
Noonan,, Guess you are right,,,, got ya ... thanks
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 12:52:39 PM »
Ratliff, have you ever been inside a lay down lakester or streamliner, Ejection systems are great for a sit up type air craft  seat but the design of the above plus the high costs would prevent it. On the ground at high speed I doubt it would work, how can you assure the car is still on it's wheels when they try to eject.

Okay, as Franklin later pointed out, we're not talking about ejector systems, and for many good reasons, and I'll list one.

I'm going to say it was about 1973, the Blue Angels were doing an air show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  One of the planes' landing gear failed to deploy, leaving the plane skidding down the runway, and eventually through a number of cornfields.  The pilot ejected from the plane while the plane was in contact with the ground.  I witnessed it.

According to Ray Miller, a former corporate pilot for Martin-Marietta, a man who had many contacts in the aerospace industry and who's opinion I tend to trust, the Navy pilot's back was permanently damaged due to the lack of cushioning that the fighter had because it was on the ground.  The ejector system was designed to be used while the plane is airborn.

007 not withstanding, I suspect any ejection system on any automobile could cause many more problems than what it could solve.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Ratliff

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »
Ratliff,

I am a bit new to Land Speed Racing, but have had many past years experience driving drag cars and riding drag bikes. I have been out of all forms of motor sports for the last 16 years due to a  rather uncomfortable get off of my bike when a truck crossed the center line of a highway at 55mph.  I was lucky and only broke 13 bones, spent a year without walking and all the pain and rehab in between.

From seeing all your posts on almost every subject, it seems as if you have a very extensive collection of articles and reference data??   I do like to read, but as a racer I would like not only the material to read, but the opinions of folks who have done it and or are doing it... Racing or building racer I mean.

Before I continue to spend my time reading your posts, can you tell me a but about your racing experience? the racing organizations you belong to and so forth...

I do not ask this to be a smart a##, only to better understand and be able to weigh the vast novels of info you post.

Thanks

Charles

I did the design calculations for the centrifuge Art Arfons built as part of his last land speed project to become reacclimated to g-forces.

Arfons didn't ask how many centrifuges I'd designed or built.

Crashing is not racing. When you're crashing you're no longer racing. At that point, it doesn't matter how much racing experience a person has because it's irrelevant.

Attached is the section of my interview by Bret Kepner published in the October 1999 issue of Drag Racing USA (formerly Super Stock) magazine where I proposed X-15 style driver capsules for drag cars because safety standards were inadequate. Unlike NHRA or the professional racers, I wasn't waiting for anyone to burned (Arley Langlo, for example) or killed (Darrell Russell) and had no vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

In the years since that interview was published, drag racing has been (slowly) moving toward what I proposed. The closest anyone has come so far is the A/Fuel dragster John Force commissioned in 2006 for Ashley. Although this car did not have a canopy, it did have, in addition to the NHRA mandated rollcage shielding (resulting from the Darrell Russell tragedy), a full length carbon fiber tub in the cockpit along with titanium plate armor bolted to the exterior of the cockpit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:32:41 PM by Ratliff »

Offline DallasV

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
I believe Willie's original intent on this post was to help out some of the new comers on knowledge that some of the more seasoned vets may or may not know. So I have some ideas that are fairly simple and don't involve having to redesign your entire ride. Mostly what to do with the gear you already have.

If the driver is a rookie or a fairly new shoe, I think an important practice is to strap the driver in with full gear, block the drivers visibility of the cockpit, and shout out commands, i.e. Chute, extinguisher, fuel shut off, mag....until they can get their hands on all those devices every time while calling out commands very quickly. I think this is very important for those in front engine cars. I personally have been oiled down several times and it is nice to be practiced at finding those devices blind. also I immagine in a fire or while upside-down speed is of the essence.

Make sure that you can reach everything and have your arm restraints as short as possible. I will never forget being one of the first few people to a lakester crash about 12 years ago and the driver having both hands taken off in a pencil roll, he loosened up the arm restraints because it was hard to reach the shifter.

If I can think of more I'll pipe in. Please everyone be safe. 
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.