Author Topic: lets keep it safe  (Read 9103 times)

Offline willieworld

lets keep it safe
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
hello all my name is willie buchta--im a chassis builder car and bike --this topic will be ways to keep your race car safer and yourself as will --lets keep this topic on cars --thanks  willie

let me say this--first thing you need to do is get a rule book -read read read --then there is a q & a on the scta website at    www.scta-bni.org   

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:38:53 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Ratliff

Re: lets keep it safe
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »
http://www.nitrogeezers.com/Cars%20-%20Garlits_Jacko%20Liner.htm

An aluminum bathtub in the cockpit to isolate the driver from the interior of the car as well as the frame members.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
i
I think that SCTA needs to get a sonic checker and check some if not all the cars out there beceuse I know for a fact that some are way too thin!  There are a lot of people out there that  know how to do nice welding and fab work but there is even more that do not that think thay do!  I hope  I dint piss off any one out there but it is what it is.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »
This is a good idea to point people in the right direction, however to be sure that what you are building that it does meet the requirements of the SCTA rule book. On the www.scta-bni.org there is a place to ask questions regarding rules, changes etc. that are the official rules.

I think what Willie is trying to do for cars and bikes is to keep it seperate and clean and as a guide line to follow. There are many people on here with tons of information and ideas as well as who to go to for parts and fabrication.

So bottom line please use it properly and keep other LSR in the proper forums. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
hay glen    ---my intent wasnt to change any rules just to get some ideas not just for the new guys --the rule book is a minumum and if you like you can go way beyond that    willie
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:53:36 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
Willie, I know you aren't trying to change the rules, My point is not everyone knows about the Q &A section on the SCTA web site. Dan and others are trying to assure that everything is correct during a build and to clarify wording and classes etc. As you know sometimes it takes a little research to understand.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ratliff

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »

Two ideas from aerospace.

1. The X-15 had a swing down headrest that supported the front of the helmet during deceleration. Aside from that benefit, in land speed racing it would also improve safety by generally limiting head movement.

2. Ejection seats are equipped with a cable retractor mechanism connected to straps around the pilot's ankles. When ejection is iniated, the mechanism pulls the pilot's feet tight against the seat. In land speed racing this same thing could be used to reduce injury by limiting movement of the driver's legs.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 02:13:48 PM »
everyone--this site is not a rule change site--it has nothing to do with the scta rule book --like i said in the beginning its a place for suggestions  to make a race car safer --and if you dont have a suggestion i would appreciate if you wouldnt post here and waste our time ---haveing said that the place to start if you are thinking about building a car to race is to buy a  SCTA rulebook and read it at least 10 times then if you have any questions at the SCTA website   www.scta-bni.org  there is a Q & A area  --in the rule book section 17 starting on page 167 there is contact information for any questions you may have   thanks  willie buchta
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:20:28 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:20:57 PM »
Ratliff, have you ever been inside a lay down lakester or streamliner, Ejection systems are great for a sit up type air craft  seat but the design of the above plus the high costs would prevent it. On the ground at high speed I doubt it would work, how can you assure the car is still on it's wheels when they try to eject.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ratliff

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »
Ratliff, have you ever been inside a lay down lakester or streamliner, Ejection systems are great for a sit up type air craft  seat but the design of the above plus the high costs would prevent it. On the ground at high speed I doubt it would work, how can you assure the car is still on it's wheels when they try to eject.

Didn't say a damn word about ejecting. You saw the words "ejection seat" and didn't bother to read any further.

The words you should have been paying attention to were "...cable retractor mechanism connected to straps around the pilot's ankles...the mechanism pulls the pilot's feet tight against the seat...reduce injury by limiting movement of the driver's legs."

Just as bike liners use tilt switches to deploy chutes, tilt switches could be used in a car to activate the feet restraint mechanism.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 02:38:06 PM by Ratliff »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 02:48:47 PM »
A lot of the liners and laksters have leg retention straps in them. Some for several years. But I don't want to get a war of words with the world expert on every thing.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ratliff

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
A lot of the liners and laksters have leg retention straps in them. Some for several years. But I don't want to get a war of words with the world expert on every thing.

Drivers in coupes, altereds, and production classes might benefit even more from leg restraint.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »
I got my answer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:02:03 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 11:28:04 PM »
Ratliff,

I am a bit new to Land Speed Racing, but have had many past years experience driving drag cars and riding drag bikes. I have been out of all forms of motor sports for the last 16 years due to a  rather uncomfortable get off of my bike when a truck crossed the center line of a highway at 55mph.  I was lucky and only broke 13 bones, spent a year without walking and all the pain and rehab in between.

From seeing all your posts on almost every subject, it seems as if you have a very extensive collection of articles and reference data??   I do like to read, but as a racer I would like not only the material to read, but the opinions of folks who have done it and or are doing it... Racing or building racer I mean.

Before I continue to spend my time reading your posts, can you tell me a but about your racing experience? the racing organizations you belong to and so forth...

I do not ask this to be a smart a##, only to better understand and be able to weigh the vast novels of info you post.

Thanks

Charles

Cajun,

You are asking for information that does not exist..

John

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 11:28:37 PM »
On my roadster build I have incorporated a Roush ignition interrupter system that cuts the ignition in the case of a stuck throttle. 

The system uses two sensors, one to sense manifold pressure the other for brake pressure. If you apply 1,100 psi of brake pressure and the system senses manifold pressure it recognizes that the engine is at full throttle and shuts off the ignition.  There is also a separate switch aside from the brake pressure sensor that insures the system works even if there is complete brake failure.

Its used in some of the top forms of auto racing and is cheap insurance.  Especially at El Mirage.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”