Author Topic: Lakester--Streamliner Canopy  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Lakester--Streamliner Canopy
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:09:00 PM »
I'd be interested to know how some of you made/molded the lexan for the canopy of your lakester or streamliner.

I'm interesed in knowing how to overcome the problems of bending it into a compound curve.

Thanks for the help,

Sumner

Lakester Construction In
 Progress

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Lakester--Streamliner Canopy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »
There are several motorcycle fairing and sidecar guys out there making lexan windshields.  Guffstason in Florida is a possibility.  I may not have spelled that right.  Also check Airplane parts guys, several homebuilts have nice canopies.  Use, modify or develop your canopy around what you can get.  It could be easier in the long run.
 Just some ideas
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »
Sumner, call Russ Meeks @ Finish Line Coatings in Milwaukie, Or.  He built a simple vacuum form box and used a vacuum pump and heat lamps.  It turned out great and can be seen on his roadster. Tell him "One Run Bob" sent you...............  
            (503) 659-4278
Bob Drury

Offline hitz

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 01:29:00 AM »
Sum,
  try this site for forming Lexan
 http://Qsip.co.uk/PDF/LEXAN/Process.PDF#search=LEXAN%20Forming'.If that doesn't work type in Lexan forming.I started on a g/gl last fall.Hope to have it running for 2006.Good luck!
 hitz

Offline hitz

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 01:35:00 AM »

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 11:11:00 AM »
Hello all,
 Found this website will searching - http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/bubbles/hpvbubbles.htm

On another note - Hitz,
 I grew up in Anderson and Cottonwood.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

StraightSix

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »
Here's a good overview:   right click save as pdf

I was thinking stretch forming would be the way to go but these guys seem to advocate slip forming instead, because of less optical imperfections.  It does need a more complex system, using a vacuum pump, as opposed to stretch forming which needs only a simple frame and a male mold.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »
The advantage to the vacuum box like Russ built is you don't need a mold to start with, only a cutout the size of the base.  You can then trim it into whatever size you want.
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all of that info.  Some good procedures there to think about.

The advantage to the vacuum box like Russ built is you don't need a mold to start with, only a cutout the size of the base. You can then trim it into whatever size you want.
Bob, I don't know if you looked at the bubble one from above, but I'm wondering if Russ's works something like that.  Is he holding a lexan sheet clamped between two pieces of plywood cut to the shape of the opening with an enclosed box below them attached to a vacuum pump.  Then with the vacuum pulling down on the lexan and heating it where he wants it to deform with the hair dryers and letting the vacuum pull it into shape?

I'll have to try and get a hold of him.  We were pitted next to him last year.  What a beautiful car.  Mine will never be that nice.  On a side note 2 years ago they had to call the ambulance for him and last year for me.  Maybe we shouldn't pit next to one another   :)  and/or no one should pit beside us   :confused:  .

One more thing.  The rule book says to use Lexan, but I can't see where it says anything about thickness.  Does anyone know if there is a required thickness?

c ya, Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
Sum, thats exactly how he did it and I am sure he can tell you the best thickness to work with.  I think he said it took him two tries to get it right.
Bob Drury

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 10:16:00 PM »
Outstanding web site and outstanding article. Good to have for my lakester project.
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ulrace

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
there's a place close to me that makes nice bubble cockpit covers for aircraft. They made one for me for a hydroplane reasonably. (about $300 as i recall) Their mold is adjustable so they can make it longer, wider etc. i think it's Fox Industries but I will check. in Ohio.

bob larimore