Author Topic: Rain on lakebed?  (Read 14163 times)

Offline promachine

Rain on lakebed?
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
Did we get any rain on the lakebed last weekend?
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline mkilger

Re: Rain on lakebed?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:25:28 AM »
well I hope it did alittle bit, it would keep some of the dust down,  but if it rains too much you will need  a scout to get on the lake bed,    are you coming down ?  I dont know if it got any rain at all, 

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:36:04 PM »
I got to El Mirage about 9:30 Sat morn. I drove by the course prep people & headed over to the north/west corner where my buddies had a camp set-up. I was getting warm, about 95 by noon. I did a couple runs along the west end on the bike I just got finished, just to make sure it would be ready for this weekend.

We could see the weather coming in from the east. Rain clouds & lightning. The first rain came in the afternoon. You could smell it about an hour before it hit. First, large drops that quickly absorbed in the lake bed. Then they came fast & furious. It went from nothing to a deluge in about 30 seconds. In about another 15 seconds, the hail started. 1/4" diameter, so we ran behind the trailer for shelter. The wind was blowing and it rained for maybe 45 minutes and passed. There was a bit of water being blown around the lake bed by the wind, it would shift around the edges of the lake. Seemed to dry out pretty good, but we could see rain all round E.M.

About 7:30 pm, the second set of storms came. It seemed as though the rain would pummel us & move west, then the wind would shift & it would pummel us again, move the the south, change course & come get us again. By now the entire lake was flooded as far as we could see. Lightning was all around, at least giving us something nice to look at. The rain stopped about 8:30 & most people called it a night by 11pm. But the rain just waited until it could catch us sleeping outside. It rained around midnight & again about 1am. Luckily, the fire kept alive till morning to dry out the wet ones.

Tried to leave Sun morn by skirting the lake to the entrance, but I have a 2-wheel drive pick-up with a trailer and I was worried about getting stuck. The east end was flooded as far as I could see, but the west end was mostly dry. I went to Calloway's to get off the lake bed & he gave me & my nephew from Boston the 25 cent tour ( way better than the nickel tour).

With the heat this week & a little wind, the lake bed should be in great shape for the meet.

Matt Shuss

Offline promachine

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »
Thanks Matt, Hopfully we will have a nice coarse this weekend. Try to keep us out of towners updated if you can.
Yea Mike, we are bringing the 811 down, new 44 amp mag and a 16 gph pump.
She is a beast on the dyno with only 96% in the tank! 8-)

Offline mkilger

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:10:28 PM »
thats cool John we  miss you guys and 811  roadster will be good to see her in the dirt again.

Online jl222

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 12:24:22 AM »
Thanks Matt, Hopfully we will have a nice coarse this weekend. Try to keep us out of towners updated if you can.
Yea Mike, we are bringing the 811 down, new 44 amp mag and a 16 gph pump.
She is a beast on the dyno with only 96% in the tank! 8-)

Promachine
 Only 96%! Wish i were going to be there just to hear it, how big is the motor and how much hp? How many seconds do you run on the dyno? We are taking the 222 car to a chassis dyno and they said about 8 seconds hope thats not to long or to short but don't want to be to hard on it before bville.Hoping for good numbers and at least the air fuel ratios .

Good luck at El Mirage and go fast  JL222
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:27:04 AM by jl222 »

Offline promachine

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »
jl22, I do about a 10 sec sweep test. This will show you about what will happen in 1st gear so tune your car on the rich side so she will have fuel enough for the five mile.
She is a c engine (364") and is making about 1150 lbs. ft. of torque from 4000 rpm to 6000 rpm un-blown.

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »
an update from George Callaway yesterday:

As of sunset the standing water is about 100 yards west of the west Wind sock & pretty much BANK to Bank. Slightly windy today, but overcast. What we need is heavy winds & 100+ degree dazes. As long as we DO NOT HAVE any more rain, I feel the west end should be O K for our race. As we all know----the east end dries LAST, plus all those sort spots down by the island. There is ROAD WORK on going by the dairy, expect delays on friday. I still suggest anyone coming from the west( Palmdale/ Hwy 14) use MY GATE.   George

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
Anybody know how to get to Callaway's from the west?

Windy and hot is the forecast. Duh.

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 98. West wind between 5 and 15 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 100. West wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. West wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to between 5 and 10 mph. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 101. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 70.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 102.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 102.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 103.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline desotoman

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:07:45 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »
Sum,

We have put out two different ways to get to George's off of El Mirage Rd. Both will get you there. The directions I printed are the way I used to go for many years. I would turn left on what I called County Line Rd, since that is where Los Angeles and San Bernadino Counties meet. Then I would just follow that road out to the lake bed, which went right by where George now lives.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
Toms way from Ave J to 240 and at the top of the little hill there is an arrow sign"Callaway" is shorter and better IMHO. I come across from 5 on 138. Cross 14 and turn right at the railroad tracks go down to Ave E. Turn left and run out to ave 110. Bypass Lancaster that way. Then go right to Ave J and on out to 240.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:53:17 PM by RichFox »

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
an update from George Callaway yesterday:

Any update from George on the (not so dry) lake bed?

Matt

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

----- Forwarded by Karen I Davis/BII on 07/16/2008 01:38 PM -----

ElMGeo@aol.com wrote on 07/16/2008 07:05:11 AM:

> Karen, , Still have standing water out in the
> center/middle straight north of the west windsock. The
> lake surface is ROCK HARD, I drove down within a few feet
> of the water & didn't even leave a tire track. Its still
> overcast here, need clear skies, over 100 degrees & 100
> MPH wind.  If we still have ANY standing water late on