Author Topic: "Casper" LSR Effort  (Read 8586 times)

MCR

"Casper" LSR Effort
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:48:14 AM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:45:05 PM by MCR »

Offline sheribuchta

Re: "Casper" LSR Effort
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:53:03 AM »
a 600 dollar entry fee is a lot of money just " to piss people off "      willie buchta

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:43:52 AM »
a 600 dollar entry fee is a lot of money just " to piss people off "      willie buchta
Yeah and it's ,not even working. I'm not angry about it. Are you?

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
no im happy       willie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »
...........................But it can tow a stock Mustang down the quarter mile quicker than it can do on it's own...

Not to Piss you off or anything, but this diesel.................

............... ran 285 and no it is not running the.............

............. the orginal engine, but I'll bet it could pull your truck down the salt faster than it can go on its own  :-P.

Actually it sounds like your truck is pretty darn impressive and I'll be looking forward to seeing it run,

Sum

MCR

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
Yeah and it's ,not even working. I'm not angry about it. Are you?

:D

No, I hope I don't get racers or crew angry.

Back in 2004 an "expert" told us that with new emissions controlled Duramax engine (LLY), we could never go past 400HP due to it's injectors.  And that we could never run with the pre-emissions engines. 

So hotrodding "Casper" has been to prove a point.  It uses off-the-shelf parts and is a true pickup truck.  I've used it to take the kids to school and hauled 1700 lb of sand last month with it.  It tows our car to the dragstrip.

$600 entry is alot, but the safety equipment will be about $7000 just to qualify to run Bonneville.

MCR

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
...........................But it can tow a stock Mustang down the quarter mile quicker than it can do on it's own...

Not to Piss you off or anything, but this diesel.................

............... ran 285 and no it is not running the.............

............. the orginal engine, but I'll bet it could pull your truck down the salt faster than it can go on its own  :-P.

Actually it sounds like your truck is pretty darn impressive and I'll be looking forward to seeing it run,

Sum

Yes, the Phoenix(?) is pretty cool.  But I'm not sure it can still tow a trailer. ;-)

We probably won't run fast at Bonneville yet due to gearing issues.  We run out of RPM.  And I can't keep full engine power up for more that 10 seconds, so we have to detune it to control EGT's.

But it's something I've always wanted to do.  I just never thought I'd be racing in a pickup truck though.

MCR

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
Here is "Casper" one month ago at Lancaster CA placing first in a sled pull for charity:

http://mcratracing.com/k/caspersleddog.wmv

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »

We probably won't run fast at Bonneville yet due to gearing issues.  We run out of RPM.  And I can't keep full engine power up for more that 10 seconds, so we have to detune it to control EGT's.

MCR, that is the problem most fast drag racers have a the salt.  Can't run 3 miles...  :|  

I won't piss me off to see you try, it may piss you off to see the results...  :evil:
I would suggest USFRA 130 club, cheap, easy, let you taste the salt without a lot of expense, and go over 130 a little bit.  Go to the USFRA site from the home page and read about 130 club.  
I'll see you there  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

MCR

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »

MCR, that is the problem most fast drag racers have a the salt.  Can't run 3 miles...  :|  

I won't piss me off to see you try, it may piss you off to see the results...  :evil:
I would suggest USFRA 130 club, cheap, easy, let you taste the salt without a lot of expense, and go over 130 a little bit.  Go to the USFRA site from the home page and read about 130 club.  
I'll see you there  8-)

Yes, the Texas Mile is another venue that will let us race, as is the Silver State Classic.  Hopefully we get to run those as well in the truck.  When is the 130 Club event?

There is only a slim chance that the truck will be ready for Speed Week.  I'm going to attend with or without a ride.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 12:45:45 PM by MCR »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »
MCR

130 club at USFRA World of Speed, Sept 17 - 20 inclusive '08.

Ed

MCR

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »
Thanks!

Do you know what safety equipment is required to run it in a car or truck?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »
Pretty much any street legal car/truck can run 130 club mile. Go to USFRA web site for rules. The home page here has a link.

MCR

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »
Thanks!

That is good to know if we want to do tuning development using normal NHRA safety equipment in another truck

MCR

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 06:39:50 PM »
Anyhow, as far as the actual build goes:

Casper was purchased in Las Vegas 3 years ago this month.  There are still two years of payments left. :D

Drivetrain 1 will be the original 403ci Duramax V8 diesel engine wearing a GT4508R hybrid Garrett turbo pushing 60PSIG and PPE dual injection pump system. It spins at either 3200 or 4500 rpm which is lower than the absolute factory redline of 4800rpm.  Behind that is Mike L "Frankenstein2" Allison automatic.  Basically a reworked factory trans.  This transmission has over 600 quarter mile passes on it, several sled pull competitions, and 100 dyno hours.  World's best trans guy is Mike if you have an Allison.

We are putting in a cage that complies with both NHRA and SCTA rulebooks.  Tires will at first be "V" rated rubber until our custom rims arrive.  Seat is a Kirkey aluminum unit with side bolsters.  Fire system will be 5lb Halon for the engine and 10lb Cold Fire for the driver with a backup 5lb unit for the driver.  Diesel fuel doesn't burn easy, but when it does, it has more energy than any other motorfuel.  Driver's compartment is 100% sealed from fuel except a small rear-facing air vent to allow the driver to breathe.  There is no heater or A/C anymore.  With a SFI 20 firesuit and 3 different fuel shutoffs in place, there are several levels of redundency.

I will post pictures as we get more done.