Author Topic: Chain Guard For Bikes Question??  (Read 10655 times)

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
Chain Guard For Bikes Question??
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:44:24 PM »
I have a question about the sprocket edge to sprocket edge rule for the chain guard. The rear is easy, I have a Tiger racing guard to put on & it goes all the way back. Guy got me an extension piece to extend to the front, but I'm not sure how far front I need to go.  For the front, if you get too close to the engine case & countershaft cover, I will have clearance issues as the suspension moves. How close do the Tech's like to see the guard to the cases? I have an 07 GSXR1000. Thanks to anyone that can educate me a bit.  :?

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Chain Guard For Bikes Question??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
You're thinking correctly on the guard length rule. Any rule compliance that can "cause" an integrity issue or a possible failure (and ultimatley a component safety concern like suspension movement making a chain guard contact the rear of the frame which can stress the mounts of the guard itself), needs to have each bike looked at on a case by case (or in this situation, model by model) basis.

Your GSXR will only be required to have a guard extending from the rear edge of the rear sprocket, to the left rear vertical portion of your frame with the suspension compressed (IE: approximattely 1/2" to  1" short of going inside your frame while unloaded). Your frame and subframe in this case, creates vertical coverage with the required material for the rider's protection, so there are no compromises in the rule in doing so. You may also allow the guard to extend forward beyond the frame, but we reccomend to everyone in your situation to notch their guard (same distance would apply),  so it does not rub on your frame. 

Terrible reference pictures follow, but if you'd like close ups of either feel free to ask... and don't hesitate to call the number on the ECTA website regarding MC questions.

GSXR1000 with guard cut shy of frame:

GSX1300R with guard notched around frame:

Excellent question OldFart..... looking forward to meeting you if I haven't already.
Our outlook is that an effective chain gaurd should allow the chain to freely exit the bike while at the same time protect the rider and any components that could fail if struck by the chain(IE:the brake line, n2o lines, etc).
Todd
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:40:38 PM by narider »

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know. I haven't met anyone yet,(a newb to LSR), but have talked to John Noonan & Todd Dross, & Keith Turk on the phone for some help so far. I'm trying to do my best to show up fully prepared to pass tech , & rock & roll. I don't want to be the clueless new guy running around all weekend, like a chicken with it's head cut off, imposing on the experienced guys, trying to get my bike prepared. I talked to Keith about perfs on my leathers & Keith had asked me how he would remember me at the meet, I told him I would be, "The tall, skinny, a**hole", hopefully that will make me stand out? I think he will remember. Looking forward to meeting everyone in Sept. in Maxton. Bob Leesberg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:48:48 PM by Oldfart »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:11:05 AM »
Thanks, Bob -- now there'll be at least two of us at Maxton.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
Nice to not be the ONLY one, but I don't feel as special now that I know there are two of us. Hopefully Keith can tell us apart still. :-D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:08:23 AM by Oldfart »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
Hey Bob! Welcome aboard!
Here's a close up of the notched chainguard that Todd (NARider) wanted to post:

BTW, NARIder is the Todd Dross you've spoken too! Looking forward to meeting
you in September! (You'll have to look down to find me! I'm a shrimp  :-D)

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »
............BTW, NARIder is the Todd Dross you've spoken too! .........

That is the problem with these screen names, you have to remember two names for everyone and some of us have a hard time remembering one  :cry:

Say DahMurf, if you get around to it would you introduce me to that Deb gal,

Sum

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »
Thanks for the pics Todd & Deb. Todd, appreciate your time the other day on the phone. I was surprised at the depth of your answer as NARIDER, now I know why. I thought about calling you again, but I'm trying really hard to not be a pain to anyone. I know how it is when it's volunteers doing all this. I guess the trophy girls (& maybe a trophy guy for Deb?) & all the huge purse money make it all worthwhile. It was the same thing kept me autocrossing. Cool video of you Deb, I caught that the other day now that I'm figuring out who's who. Thanks again for your help.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
sum  i think that half of the posters on this site are in the witness protection program and afraid to give there names   willie buchta
                    921 chicago ave
                    modesto calif.
                    209-6816876 cell
                    209-6816876 home
                    willieworld@hotmail.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »
Willie, LSR is the perfect sport for those of us in witness protection as well as 10 Most Wanted...  8-)  There is not at lot of pesky press exposure to expose our true identities... Why do you think Sum is hiding in Blanding
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 12:04:56 AM »
you got a point --a good point     willie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »
sum  i think that half of the posters on this site are in the witness protection program and afraid to give there names   willie buchta..............

............and then there are those who don't post under even their board name or real name, but have to post under their wife's name........  :evil:  8-)  :roll:  :-P  :?  :-D,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
Sum, cut Willie some slack!  He's already told us that his typing is challenged and that sometimes he uses Sheri's sign-in so he doesn't have to hunt-and-peck his way to his own sign-in.  If we had to wait for him to find himself each time -- we'd still be waiting. . .  See, Willie?  Some of us do pay attention to your stuff.

Just for your comment I'm gonna do it -- I'm gonna go take a photo of a billboard that's been calling to me (for you) for quite a while.  I'll get the photo up here later... 

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Super Kaz

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 11:03:55 AM »
sum  i think that half of the posters on this site are in the witness protection program and afraid to give there names   willie buchta..............

............and then there are those who don't post under even their board name or real name, but have to post under their wife's name........  :evil:  8-)  :roll:  :-P  :?  :-D,

Sum

OUCH  :-P!
Sum ,
you seem a little PERKY Lately :evil:?
I do want to give you a "Shout-out" for your Website 8-)!
You have more Links{he even has my non-updated website link},Video's,and Cool Stuff then any other personal LSR website  I know of ! :-o
Your House build up is pretty B$TCHIN Too  :-D.
Now if I could only understand 50% of it's technical Stuff {I FLUNKED ALGEBRA :oops:} so I'll need the DVD version  :|.
Now back to are chaingaurd subject :roll:?
Kaz.................

P.S
I Like this 1 ,and the bike is pretty FAST Too:-D!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 11:33:45 AM »
kaz   what is the rule about streamlining in the naked class --like the bike in the pic you posted  willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta