Author Topic: Chute advice  (Read 6139 times)

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
Chute advice
« on: April 20, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »
What set-ups are you veteran racers using?,lanyard length and chute size etc.The class I'll be running in is A/CGALT, record is just shy of 230 so I should probably get a chute that's good for 250mph,my car weighs somewhere around 2500lbs.I'll be lucky if I can go 170+ this year,but then I only want to buy my chute once.
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline Stan Back

Re: Chute advice
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
Give the manufacturers a call -- they deal with more different situations than any one racer.  We are more than satisfied with Bob Stroud at Stroud Safety, but I imagine all the top makers can help you with recommendations.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »
Big Time - Recommend you at least talk to the guys at Chute Metal Company in Chatsworth, Calif. We have used their equipment on a 300MPH streamliner downto a 225MPH MG wagon. Nothing but proper chute deployment every run after switching to their product. Pat

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »
I have a Chute Metal and like it but I have tried to contact 3/4 times to no avail....thought they must be out of business or don't care any more. Good Luck. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
Big Time & Jimmy - I just got off the phone to Chute Metal - They are there and there is a message machine if they can't get to the phone because they are building something. Man to talk to is Tom Abbott at 818-886-7399. They are not a big business but will give you a good product. Pat

<small>[ April 23, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: SALT201 ]</small>

Offline dave

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:33:00 AM »
another vote for Bob Stroud , his chute stops great with out hitting to hard

dad land

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 10:38:00 AM »
not that i'm gonna do it but i have seen them on sit-on bikes,of dual engine bike. just an old country boy here but i would like to hear your collective thoughts on a chute on a sit-on bike!i have my own thoughts but would like to hear from more knowledgeable folks on this! i've heard amo's thought's on it and they still make me laugh 3 years later. thanks for the up-coming reply's. dad land

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »
hey dad I thought I submitted something similar  Im after hard facts re parachutes for "sit on bikes" and especialy parachutes that the rider wears , I saw a pic of some jet powered bikes from the 70,s with the riders wearing such ,
 Joe or Jon and what was there thoughts ?
 Gary
slower than most

dad land

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
that's what i'm talkin 'bout!........where do i find this?did they live to make a return run?sounds almost as good as a james bond ejection seat.jet powered bikes? are you talking about "the fly"? he had a hydrogen peroxide motor/ on a harley sportster back in the 70's.(and some folks think i'm not right..........in the head!) dad land

Offline John Burk

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
I didn't see it but the story goes that E J Potter of Chevy powered tire smoking Bike fame tried a parachute (mounted on his back) - Snatched him off the Bike - Having seen him drag race his Allison powered 57 plymouth with no firewall , no gloves , no face protection the parachute story could be true .

UK Malcolm

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »
The bikers on rocket machines used the same parachute packs that the top fuel hydro boat drag racers used before the advent of capsules.  Do not know if the bikers ever tested them.  Captain Jack McLurg wore the same parachute when lying velcroed onto his rocket kart.

Should any 'open' biker try out a chute on themselves please let us know over here in the UK!

dad land

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »
not sure if i want to be the...TEST DUMMY on this one but i am very curious....."life is sometimes stranger than fiction!"would this fall under - NO FEAR / or NO GREY MATTER ?plus the return run would be extremely hard to make.........velcro'ed to the bike huh?these would be pics for the wall ! DL

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 03:25:00 PM »
Dad
 I think we should let pissin Joe test it and at the same time we could do a little skeet practice on him. Maybe add a couple of training wheels to the bike so it stays upright. What ya think. LOL
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

UK Malcolm

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »
Firstly don;t we need KT to be the test pilot, the spilled coke quantity will give a reading on g-force and the smoke from the cigarette will show the airflow into the canopy!  The maker of drag boat systems may now package the chute into the life vest, but its worth checking.  Maker I recall is Lifeline in Parker, AZ 85344.  Phone USA 928 669 9241 of fax USA 928 669 8895.  Check out www.lifelinejackets.comMalcolm