Author Topic: 200 MPH Club Hat Trick  (Read 15298 times)

Offline hayaboosta

200 MPH Club Hat Trick
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:08:46 AM »
It has been a crazy week since my return from the “Monster Mile” June 27-28.  I want to acknowledge and thank some people that made my record /ECTA 200 MPH Club inclusion possible and fun.  It was truly a great bunch of people to be with to pull off the first 200 MPH Club “Hat Trick” on a Naked Motorcycle.  

First and foremost, a very special thanks to Bill Warner (Wildbro).  If you didn’t know Bill from his outstanding performances on his Vmax  (ECTA 200 Club), I am sure you know him NOW after his naked runs of 240+, 243+ and 246+ at the June Maxton event.

I called Bill and asked if I could make a single pass on his bike to attempt to enter the ECTA 200 MPH Club.  We agreed that I would make a check out pass and a full run.  We spoke to Keith “Diet Coke” Turk and he agreed to the plan.

Friendly hellos and handshakes welcomed me as the competitors and volunteers filtered in on Friday.  The “air” of the event was much like Bonneville, no rush, time to hang out and talk.  It was very laid back.  Keith was busting my nuts in no time flat about us west coast dirt bikers, among many other topics.  Thank God I didn’t ride a BMW!

Bill had only made two full runs on the new bike, a 215 pass and an over boosted 226 in April.  His attempt in May lasted 230 feet when he pitched a chain.  Saturday morning we rolled his staging lane rig (see below) to the start line for a systems check run before he handed the bike over.  Wouldn’t you know it the guy runs 230!  

My turn, after a quick blast to 180 mph I cruise through the lights at about 140.  I practiced the course that Bill had laid out for me.  Which side of the course to be on at the half mile, which patch or crack to avoid, how to set up for the shutdown, I know I traveled more than a mile with my ziz-zaging!  

The bike was far from comfortable for me; I am 6’2, 245lb in my skivvies, quite a bit larger than Bill.  Bill offered to alter the bike, but I figured I would do the altering.  It came time for my one chance, I needed a 207 or better to surpass yet another Scott Guthrie held record (sorry Scott).  Although it was one of the ugliest passes I have ever made it worked, 220.480 mph.

The hat ceremony was great, some new friends hung around for the festivities.  I thought it would only be fitting if Bill presented me “The Hat”, Keith also suggested it.  Bill did a great job presenting.  I also felt privileged when Keith, a 200 MPH Club Ace (B’Ville, Elmo, ECTA, Muroc and Texas) presented me the ECTA 200 MPH T-Shirt with his firm handshake and ear-to-ear smile.  I was honored to be in the presence of those who stayed to welcome me to the Club.  Joe Timney also pointed out that my run was the fastest Naked ECTA 200 Club inclusion, an added bonus!

I would like to thank everyone at the ECTA for welcoming me as they did, especially Keith and Tonya Turk,  Joe and Donna Timney and Seldom Seen Slim.  They put on a great event.   I will forever be grateful to Bill Warner for his unselfishness and sportsmanship.

It makes me wonder though, what is the problem with us Land Speed Racers?  We run on dirt, salt and bombed out runways.  I am convinced that if an event is put on with miles of flat smooth asphalt/concrete at less than 750’ of elevation they would put a patch over one eye, fill our suits with fire ants or something!  I cannot belive the speeds that we have seen lately on these sub par surfaces.  

I have been around various forms of racing for many years, and I am proud to say I am a Land Speed Racer.  

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:15:32 AM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: 200 MPH Club Hat Trick
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »
Good stuff Scott, nice riding and awesome achievement on many levels(3 to be exact!).  You and Bill made a great team and raised the bar on many levels. Btw, Guthrie would of been the first to push you to do what you did (his record or not), and to shake your hand when you did if he was there.

Is this Maxton's first Naked Hobo, or did he find a really killer Toys-R-Us to shop at?

Bill, I don't think that qualifies for the 7 items or less line, please move to the customer service counter so your cart can be inspected by the manager.
Todd

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »
Congratulations!!!

That is an awesome achievement!

Well played teaming with Bill and good on Bill for making it happen!
It's just what LSR is about and the way it (almost) always is at Maxton!
We're very proud of you!

(now you can brag that you've also rode the fastest naked bike! Brag quick though, I'm sure the dirt/salt boys are gunning for it now!  :-D )
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »
Congratulations, Scott!

Some of the guys at the barber shop summed it up recently saying "those LSR folks are just wired differently.."

Viva la speed!
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Well played teaming with Bill and good on Bill for making it happen!
It's just what LSR is about and the way it (almost) always is at Maxton!

Thanks Deb!  You and Todd spent more time helping (volunteering) than riding from my observation at the event.  Like I mentioned, the event has a great family feel and it is people like the two of you that help make it all happen. 

Thanks to both of you for being part of the Hat ceremony.  I was comforting to have someone else from "Joisey" in the mix.  Great video by the way! 

As far as bragging is concerned, what am I supposed to say, "I went the slowest on the fastest bike"?   :-D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:36:19 AM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »
Some of the guys at the barber shop summed it up recently saying "those LSR folks are just wired differently.."

Thanks Shane!  I have also heard (and been referenced) to being a few fries short of a Happy Meal.   :-D

After a pass down Maxton I gathered even more respect for "The Fast Guys and Gals" that call Maxton home.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:34:00 AM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »
Thanks Deb!  You and Todd spent more time helping (volunteering) than riding from my observation at the event.  Like I mentioned, the event has a great family feel and it is people like the two of you that help make it all happen. 
Yeah we tend to do that a lot but we enjoy it all! We want to see everyone happy & racing!
Thanks to both of you for being part of the Hat ceremony.  I was comforting to have someone else from "Joisey" in the mix.  Great video by the way! 
It was our pleassure for sure! You know, the Joisey speed freaks are slowly moving in on the bike front!!! But don't tell anyone! hehehe
As far as bragging is concerned, what am I supposed to say, "I went the slowest on the fastest bike"?   :-D
Hey some of us slow people will take that! BTW, isn't that run your fastest ever naked (or faired??) and only the 2nd run on that bike and that track. Come on, that's good stuff there & plenty to brag about!

Deb

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
 BTW, isn't that run your fastest ever naked (or faired??) and only the 2nd run on that bike and that track. Come on, that's good stuff there & plenty to brag about!
[/quote]

Yes was an honor to ride the current fastest naked bike under power! No doubt!
The 220.480 is my fastest naked pass and my second fastest timed run by a hair.  You made me think about it, I have 27 starts at LSR events, including licensing [8] and aborted runs (4).  Elmo (13), B'Ville (12 including Bub) and Maxton (2). You could almost do that in three Maxton events!

As I have said many times before, if it was not for the help from Noonan, McVicar and Guthrie I would not have been on such an accelerated learning curve.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:01:43 PM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

racin jason

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
  Congrats Scott,

Now let's go to Texas!!!

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »
I'm there Y'All :-D
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline sabat

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
WTG Scott, congrats and great write-up. -Dean

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
  Congrats Scott,

Now let's go to Texas!!!

That's a great idea, you naked fast guys should hit TX the same meet & have a naked shootout!
(whew... is it hot in here? ... naked bike, naked bike... alright, I'm ok!  :evil: )

Deb

Offline TRNorBRN6001

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
Congrats from myself and all of TFA!!!! Great to pit next to ya as well!!!

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »
Congrats from myself and all of TFA!!!! Great to pit next to ya as well!!!

Thanks!  We will see you in Texas correct? 

If I don't lay off the pizza I may have to talk to you about joining TFA!
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline WildBro

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »
It was a pleasure racing with you Scott.  You did a damn good job on a bike not even close to being set-up for you. (something about a monkey and a football, I think you said)
I hope you will be back to Maxton many more times.

Congrats on your triple X Naked,
Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas