Author Topic: Ratio Questions  (Read 14335 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Ratio Questions
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »
Al's was an Aluminum block and heads deal that was on the cover of the GM race parts catalog in around 90? Had Hilborns and a billit crank common pin so it was an odd fire. cam turned backwards gear driven without an ilder. I made a duel distributer deal simular to my Plymouth but using two 3 cylinder, Mallory distributors for a Chrysler outboard. One fired one bank and the other did the other bank. I guess he still has it.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 06:05:00 AM »
I have run old Buick V-6 stuff at this displacement built in the early 90's with kinsler injector with EFI, around 13/1 compression and pretty tame cams for road racing they made around 565 hp until you were tired of filling the fuel tank..
 Funny John asked me what to run for an E engine a long time ago and this was my first suggestion. About 300 e-mails and messages later it is now a good idea.. Go figure.
 Dave

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »
I inherited a Kinsler mech srtup and trashed all the extra parts (IT has 3 pumps) and used the body with Hilborn stuff (I understood)  on a 180 inch. For the 258 I used a single carb in a manifold that put it way back in the corner and looked odd.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

John Beckett

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »
Uncle Dave

Your V-6 has always been a good idea (like the Ford V-8 second best).Unfortunatly it is'nt my $ going into this project so needed this forum to help convince the owner which way will be the most cost effective approach.

May have a lead on a Goodies Dash Chevy V-6 with an extra uncut crank.

JB

StraightSix

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Beckett:
  After listening to all the comments about rod / stroke ratios and other factors in the design of an engine my conclusion is this: A V-6 is probably the best available engine for a salty ?E?. Buick and Chevy made some rather good ones a few years back when they ran V-6?s in the NASCAR Busch series.

JB
Not to mention the VQ35DE engine from the Nissan 350Z, which is putting up over 500hp in street tune with twin turbos, 3.5 litres.

John Beckett

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Yeah, there is a nice Toyota engine, and a Chevy out there too, but trying to do this with something that has a selection of readily available race parts that won?t cost my first born child. Don?t have deep enough pockets for things like custom billet cranks right now.

Dave?s Buick made 565 HP without a turbo. Guessing that John Rains is making close to 1400+ HP with one turbo. Ought to be enough for what I need to do.

JB