Author Topic: Welcome to the LTA forum  (Read 79166 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

Re: Welcome to the LTA forum
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
I guess if that Pizza place by the east gate , The Rendezvous, is still open, we'll have to rename our get together on Saturday night at the Caribou Inn. We had originally titled it "LSRendezvous", a Maine version of The Salt Talks at Speedweek. In order not to confuse, we need another name. Like,we really need another lame name game here.
That info on http://www.loringairforcebase.com/ is great. I'll contact The Lady, ask numerous dumb questions. Amazing considering how long the place has been shut down how the former residents keep in touch. Now they get a reason for a Reunion !!!
Hang in a little longer, our Rulebooks should be available very soon, and we'll officially put up the Website with all the poitinent infos.
Bob,is the name, W

Offline TerryW

• Speed Safe!!!!!!
    • Loring Air Force Base Landspeed Racing
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »
Bob,
As of July, it was still open. My fiancee was there. She has also put a link  http://lta-lsr.com/HOME.htm on her webpage http://www.loringairforcebase.com/  She also included in the News section the information from blogspot: BIG NEWS!!

Loring Land Speed Racing - July 31st-August 2, 2009

The Loring Timing Association is bringing land speed racing to Loring AFB!
http://lta-lsr.com/HOME.htm

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Land-Speed-Racing-Comes-to-Maine-for-2009.html

"Land Speed Racing Comes to Maine for 2009 By Brian Lohnes Posted 01/08/09

etc etc :cheers:

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »
 Mostly for the benefit of those of you that aren't aware yet, this is the address   (below) for the Loring Timing Association and 
information for our event to be held in August this year.We recommend  reading  all
the info available, and we hope it answers enough  questions.  Pre
Registrations can be submitted now, or if you are  unfamiliar with Land Speed Racing
, you can first order a Rulebook which has  most of what info  you need to
prepare to attend and run your vehicle.
We will soon also add a Aerial based map picture of the site to familiarize
everybody with the facility.
We will also add a News icon for regular updates on available 
accommodations and dining facilities in the area.
Directions are also forthcoming .
In the meantime, have patience if we've forgotten anything or confused an 
issue, we will straighten it all out very shortly.
We thank all of you that kept the faith waiting and watching our  progress.
We again  openly thank our Mentors at The ECTA for their ongoing  help ,
this probably could not have been done without them. And if it's a  failure,
blame them. LOL.
Bob W, LTA,  Co Conspirator at Large
 http://www.lta-lsr.com/

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
I'd just like to reiterate how the LTA would really appreciate if more entrants would pre register. It would help us gauge attendance so we would not be caught short on porta potties . Seriouslier, we really need to get the best idea possible, for volunteer recruiting, security issues, and all that non-racing stuff that has to be done.
The more stuff that's pretty-well planned for gives us more time to ourselves to maybe even race our own cars, which was the original point of this venture.
You save $25, get a head start on paperwork and tech, and endear yourselves to  the people working the registration center ( card table ? )
The only idea we have at this time is the thread on this list and the ones reserved rooms at the CARIBOU INN. (remember, mention the LTA racers discount when you call)
http://www.caribouinn.com/flash/
Thank You
Bob W

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:14 AM »
As I have stated in the past
I will be heading up to volenteer thursday night and will arrive early friday morning I will be there till later monday evening

Tuesday or Wensday anyone driving up to the event that needs a rest/crashing/sleeping place about 7 hours from the venue, I live in Nashua NH and can put a few people up
also that thursday night I will be sleeping in my hunting cabin in LaGrange Maine(cue ZZTop soundtrack) about 2 1/2 hours from the venue and have  camping there if anyone is in need
e-mail me at homeygib@comcast.net if you are gonna take me up on it

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
 Minor Updates

Our "AsphalTalks" Saturday night at the Caribou Inn will be BarSide as opposed to Poolside. Seems the pool area is super hot in summer as all the inside facing rooms ACs dump into that area and the ventilation is not up to removing the excess heat. I guess they designed it for the Maine Winter,only. The new location is located next to the lobby, or the bar.  Room for only 275, so come early. yeah, right.

Trying to gauge the weather a week in advance is not reliable, but we are keeping tabs ,especially late in the event. Rain Saturday, long day Sunday and vice versa.

Those of you still without rooms, keep checking the Caribou Inn for cancellations, there were three in the last week, according to the desk person I spoke with today.

Bob W

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »
Here's a link to NOAA weather for Loring.  Looks pretty good as of right now -- 8.45 Tuesday morning.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Loring+AFB&state=ME&site=CAR&textField1=46.9404&textField2=-67.8948&e=0
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2009, 08:14:21 PM »
I'd like to congradulate everyone who will be making history this weekend and that's all of you. This event shows incredible work and commitment. Thanks to all of you spreading the love of LSR.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »
Thank You Ken,
I'm out of here 8ish tomw morn, any important questions ( with short answers ) do it now.
As you  Volunteers will be arriving at different times, hunt me down on the runway and we'll discuss what you are comfortable with, and then I'll assign you something entirely opposite.
I really seriously appreciate the different kind of volunteer at a first event like this, the possibility of being stuck someplace is more likely in this situation.
I'm really committed to making this as enjoyable for everybody, including non volunteers, or just a little help, or  the 24/7 dedicated LSR Good Guys. Everybody knows who they are, the perennial always there people, always with a smile .
We have cell phones, two different sets of radios, and I think optimistically enough people to run this with a good time to be had by all.
Bob Wanner , starting to exhale...

Offline half-fast

« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2009, 12:06:14 AM »
Here's a link to NOAA weather for Loring.  Looks pretty good as of right now -- 8.45 Tuesday morning.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Loring+AFB&state=ME&site=CAR&textField1=46.9404&textField2=-67.8948&e=0

Slim I like this one better:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/sports/weekend/USME0216?from=sixten_topnav

notice Saturday is "Raceday outlook" and Sunday is "Car safey checklist" :cheers:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
I usually avoid the commercial weather sites - because they're commercial, and because they carry ads -- which take time to load.  I want to see the weather, not what phone is on sale at AT&T and what blog has spent money to advertise, etc.

The NOAA weather site is my choice, and so that's the one I refer to when I can.  It doesn't have a few of the features that the comm'l ones have, though, and that's why we don't have NOAA weather on the home page of landracing.com - yet.  Soon, I hope.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline White Monster

« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »
Today's 10-day forecast for Limestone, ME:

Fri, Jul 31
Mostly Cloudy
High: 82°
Low: 61°
Rain: 10%
From SSW 9mph

Sat, Aug 1
Partly Cloudy
High: 80°
Low: 58°
Rain: 10%
From WNW 9mph

Sun, Aug 2
Partly Cloudy
High: 79°
Low: 58°
Rain: 20%
From W 7mph
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline tedgram

« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2009, 06:26:18 AM »
   It's starting to look like I will not be able to make this event. Last week we got hit by Lightening and being off the grid and being on battery power I had to buy a new inverter. That came yesterday and I will install it today.
   Tuesday my wife's car quit and my code reader got nothing from the ECU. The car had to be trucked 100 miles to the dealer. Yesterday they worked on it and are going to replace the coil packs and said they hoped that only the fuse was blow to the ECU, will get an update today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline Greg Williams

• New folks
  • "flying high in faith and gifts from above"
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
I just want to say hello to everyone, some may know me from a few of the mile events. I am looking forward to running at the Maine venue. Won't make it till Sunday.  Its taken a few years but I have shaken the hate everyone first attitude that came from 16 years of policing and being shot and so forth.

Getting back into Church has helped. Looking forward to making some new friends and of course going faster than I have before. Nevertheless best wishes to all.

Greg Williams
213.7 MPH "Texas Mile"
212.7 MPH "Maxton Mile"
215.4 MPH "Maxton" Chad Millholland (Rider)
232.7 Loring Dean Sabat (Rider) Turbo ZX-14
All Aboard NOS KAWASAKI ZX-14

Offline half-fast

« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »
Most recent forecast looks great for Sat & Sun, Hey to Greg, and tedgram sorry to hear the news.