Author Topic: Welcome to the LTA forum  (Read 78956 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Welcome to the LTA forum
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
Still working out the 2009 travel budget,,,, Since I don't have a chassis even started for the Stude,,, If can make the trip I will probably have to take the Vicky to Loring and limit my speed to 175 (current cage etc..)
I was sure hoping to get the Stude done by then,,, but hope alone won't get it done....

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2009, 08:21:49 AM »
Any updates on the racer discount?

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »
"Any updates on the racer discount?"

We have a discount at http://www.caribouinn.com. $88 for a basic room, more discount for suites, etc. Our research chose this place and the "Budget Traveler" in Presque Isle.
The latter offers no discount,  but their basic rate is cheaper. You get what you pay for.
At this Caribou Inn and Conference above, we will have a Salt Talks type of get together on Saturday night, "The LSRendevouz" either in the Bar or if attendance indicates it necessary, Poolside indoors with a private bar and Bartender. No matter where you choose to stay, "LSRendevouz" attendance is recommended.
One other possibility we are waiting for info on is the In-Construction Hampton Inn, also in Presque Isle, slated for Grand Opening in June/July.
Multiple (cancellable) reservations might be a consideration, in case a better deal opens up. We will also ask about on Site/trackside camping for the RV and tent crowd.
BOB W

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2009, 02:39:39 PM »
WHEN/IF you call the Caribou Inn, ask for the "LTA Racers Discount", mention Betty Hersey ( The hotel Rep)  if necessary. Make sure you are in the Caribou Inn, NOT Presque Isle, another place in this mini chain.  Bigger rooms = discounts up to  $30 off. Any problems, get right back to me ! Thank You.
Bob W

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2009, 04:27:03 AM »
I will be camping in Lagrange Maine in anyone needs a place to tent

Or will camping be allowed at or near the venue?

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »
I booked my room  :cheers:

The reservationist wasn't sure what the price was going to be exactly because they didn't have the specifics on the discount. I did mention that this was for the LTA event and to aply the LTA racers discount and that Betty Hersey can confirm the discount. I'll call them in a few weeks just to find out waht the discount is. Discount or not I wouldn't miss the event!  :wink:

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
I'm posting this on all the LTA threads.
A little reminder to remember SSS Jon W and how kind he is to maintain this beautiful thing, Landracing .com for all of us.
Consider patronizing all the advertising sites here (hits) and when you meet him, let him know how you appreciate him.   
Also ask him how he got that Hot woman to marry him.
BOB, I'm thankful, big time,  W

Offline Underdog

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
Bob,congrats on this event!!! Were going to try to make this event with the ole UnderDog!!The 1.5 mile might be enough room to finaly pull 6th gear!!! Let us know if we can help .Larry & Frank

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
"Or will camping be allowed at or near the venue?"
 Official word as of today regarding camping on the grounds.
The Loring Development Authority oversees the grounds, and it's their decision not to allow camping or any overnight presence on the property. There are businesses occupying nearby buildings that the LDA feels would be uncomfortable with this . 
I have not checked out Campgrounds in the vicinity, but do know they do exist.
I will explore options, as in another approach.
BOB W

Offline gofast

« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
There is a state park about 20 miles south of Loring. That might be an option.

Marcia
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2009, 06:43:04 AM »
"Or will camping be allowed at or near the venue?"
 Official word as of today regarding camping on the grounds.
The Loring Development Authority oversees the grounds, and it's their decision not to allow camping or any overnight presence on the property. There are businesses occupying nearby buildings that the LDA feels would be uncomfortable with this . 
I have not checked out Campgrounds in the vicinity, but do know they do exist.
I will explore options, as in another approach.
BOB W

This may be a problem for those of us with large RV's and trailers, finding a campground that you can get a 62 foot rig like mine into can be a real big problem and most state parks are not Big Rig friendly, finding a campground with long pull throughs would be ideal. I would personally be happy with just a large parking area in the area for the overnight. Leaving a campground early in the morning with an RV is not the most hospitable thing to do, smoke and noise pollution with an old CAT 3208 like mine :roll:

Does Maine have a NO IDLE LAW that would prevent using generators at the race site, or just parking overnight somewhere?

Most Air Force Bases had a FamCamp located on the facility, is there possibly one there that is now privately owned?

Will we be able to leave our race vehicles and trailers there at the event site overnight? How safe will they be with those businesses close by?

What time will we be able to get onto the race site each morning and when will we have to be off site at night?

A lot of these answers may determine if I come that far for the event, Maxton has spoiled me :-D
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2009, 05:57:33 PM »
 I forwarded these concerns about RVs/campers/ trailers/etc to my Maine Man,  He'll have answers quick. We'll re approach the LDA about this, emphasizing our need for security for race cars, trailers, and LTA  equipt left out overnight.
I feel relatively confidant we can work something out, as it seems inefficient parking off base when there are 14,000 acres of nothing up there.
Hang in there,  we'll get back on this.
BOB W

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2009, 09:33:41 PM »
I forwarded these concerns about RVs/campers/ trailers/etc to my Maine Man,  He'll have answers quick. We'll re approach the LDA about this, emphasizing our need for security for race cars, trailers, and LTA  equipt left out overnight.
I feel relatively confidant we can work something out, as it seems inefficient parking off base when there are 14,000 acres of nothing up there.
Hang in there,  we'll get back on this.
BOB W

Thanks Bob,

I appreciate it. I did a Google Maps http://maps.google.com/maps  search of Limestone and did find a street view search of a small truck stop called I believe Hometown Fuel that has a small dirt lot http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Limestone,+Maine&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29.163842,31.816406&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=46.912565,-67.825767&panoid=BEq01d9y2C0-XpWy3o-0Yg&cbp=12,329.04114881631426,,0,2.173075124306766&ll=46.912516,-67.825642&spn=0,359.850826&z=13&iwloc=addr

There is a Wal Mart Campground..er...Supercenter located in Presque Isle. There is also a private campground just north of Presque Isle called Arndt's Campground http://www.arndtscamp.com/AARLC/Home.html that says they are Big Rig friendly but by the looks of their web site photos, they are only talking about being friendly to just Big RV's, but adding the trailer on the back may be a problem getting in and out of the sites.

Thanks again for any help.
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2009, 08:50:15 PM »
Hey RV Fans, how's this for service ? We have secured an area for parking large rigs near the runway, on the grounds. It is just West of the Golf Course of The Limestone Country Club Golf Course, and can be found on the MapQuest map of Loring AFB .
This is all obviously preliminary, but it seems this problem is solved and conventional camping should also be arranged shortly. Let me  emphasize there are no "hook ups" or electric available, but we are working on an area  enclave specifically for LTA people.  Hang in there, we are on it like a bum on a baloney sandwich....
BobW, The Lone Arranger

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »
Hey RV Fans, how's this for service ? We have secured an area for parking large rigs near the runway, on the grounds. It is just West of the Golf Course of The Limestone Country Club Golf Course, and can be found on the MapQuest map of Loring AFB .
This is all obviously preliminary, but it seems this problem is solved and conventional camping should also be arranged shortly. Let me  emphasize there are no "hook ups" or electric available, but we are working on an area  enclave specifically for LTA people.  Hang in there, we are on it like a bum on a baloney sandwich....
BobW, The Lone Arranger

Thanks Bob....who was that masked man?

I can taste that baloney all the way down here and by the way, you can stop sending that cold air down here now, we have already had enough of it............26 degrees tonight in South Carolina............:roll: :cry:BRRRRRRRRRRRRR
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS