Author Topic: Welcome to the LTA forum  (Read 78959 times)

Offline TRNorBRN6001

Re: Welcome to the LTA forum
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
Didn't someone do that at BUB and win a little coin for displacement to speed. Sorry a little off topic.

Thank you again Mr. Wanner, what a tremendous under taking! Hope all goes well, and it's successful, but most of all I hope you enjoy yourself a little and have fun too!

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2009, 09:48:47 AM »
Didn't someone do that at BUB and win a little coin for displacement to speed. Sorry a little off topic.

I believe they use actual displacement for that award. It was a small cc bike that won it but I do believe it was based on real numbers. ;)

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »
Ok car guy here !!!

I would think the cars can change classes only within the body category at a given event.

My car is an  E/CGALT  since it runs altered I am stuck in altered the entire year at each venue (I think),

With that said, I can run E/CGALT, then re enter to E/CFALT no problem. I could then enter Blown gas and Blown fuel  so 4 classes with same motor ??  Hmm if fast enough run "up motor class" to D or even C...
All bikes seem to be able to change motor class, fuel class and blown or unblown just as I described for cars,, yet one possible differance,, if I undrstand is Bikes can also change body/category,,, where a car can not ?? or can some cars ? I can't as I read the rules since I am running Classic Altered ??

Charles
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:48:38 AM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

dwarner

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 12:07:15 PM »
This is the main issue with the number of classes currently being run. Able to run up class with an unblown E on gas to Blown Fuel Comp Coupe because there is no record?

Not something I would take a lot of pride in.

DW

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »
Dan, Dan --

Don't you realize it's cherry-picking season in other parts of the country?

How about just getting a graphics program for your computer and just printing whatever you want?

We got a 179 mph record from one venue without attending for $15.  200 mph costs $25 -- we're saving up!

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

racin jason

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »
Yeah Deb that will be cool when a 50cc YSR runs in the APS UF (Altered Partial Streamlined UNLIMITED Fuel) class and sets a record at 55mph..I am sure the holder will be real proud.. :roll:

Make it like real racing..

Awe never mind. just get the money... :cheers:

I think this is Bob and Co's show and he can run it the best way he sees fit.
There's is something cool about throwing your own party, everyone has to play by your rules! :cheers:

I support being able to run different classes and run up displacement classes. This does two things, first it brings in extra income that will ensure the LTA will continue to operate and prosper.
Having a 1.5 mile paved race is going to put up some huge numbers and be a great shot in the arm for the sport.

Secondly, It fills the record book with many records and gives others a target to shoot for.

We have all looked through the SCTA records and have seen "Soft" records that we know we can beat.

What's the difference?

How about a SCTA "C" motor record that is faster than a "AA" motor? Is that ok just because the "AA" was running in his class? 
Is that real racing?
Should the "AA" record be wiped from the book?
Did the "AA" racer show up race his car and pay the same entry as the "C" racer? Yes he did.
Is it a record? Yes it is.
Is it a soft record? Maybe.
If it bothers someone that much they can build a "AA" and bring it out and show us how soft it is!

How about running on SOFT El Mirage minimums and setting records and getting points?
"Real racers" in classes that had records set by racing not by committee could never achieve the amount points that the minimum racers can.

Is that real racing or just taking advantage of poorly set minimums?  You be the judge.

How about running just over the class record on GPS to get the record points but not fast enough to prevent the racer from breaking the same record the next event.
Is that real racing?

Are we Landspeed racers or bracket racers?

I will leave it up to you to decide!

J.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:20:46 PM by racin jason »

dwarner

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2009, 02:00:13 PM »
My point exactly Jason - too many classes, not a realistic points chase, it goes on and on.

I understand the new venue, run up class, set records, gain income. I encouraged John Beckett to do that. This isn't my first rodeo.

DW

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »
DW  it looks like you  have it all under control....

My take on car classes is that we seem to be forced into staying in our body class.. and I am 100% OK with that,, as that is the class I chose to build and run in... now as to motor class... If I run in "E" and set the record and decide that I think my E set up can compete with the D class, why Not ?  same as If my gas motor can compete with the fuel class,,,  .. Seems to me that is good for everybody...??

This is a great group of folks and looks like you have lots of folks very interested in supporting the event... I will be working hard to get the Stude to LTA,, but back up plan is to bring the Vicky,,, but since the Vicky now has a Pump gas  C motor... and LTA is 1.5 miles,,,I  may have to add some more roll cage and wear a diaper,, LOL

See you and continued good luck.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
APS/PG1000 - went 151 mph on Bonneville short course. !49 at Maxton. Same gearing significantly different jetting. Maxton is 220 ft elevation, Loring is 745 ft , Bonneville is 4200 ft . With Maxton jetting I anticipate 5 mph increase over Bonneville using the extra 1/2 mile ... If you factor that for the Busas they could go 260 + ... Joe

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »
An unrelated thread discussion has been split off from this thread & relocated.
I created a new board in Misc Forums called LSR General Chat.
(I didn't ask Daddy SSS's permission. I'm running on the ask for forgiveness rather then permission notion! He knows how to fix it if he doesn't like it.)

Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5366.0.html

Here are two posts that are related to this thread:
Am I the only one that thinks the speeds at Loring are not going to be THAT much faster?  I am thinking a little faster but not what people are imagining.  It still takes set-up and Hp, correct?  I do realize that with the extra distance, extra Hp in a turbo bike can be applied and more importantly the sharp corners of little mistakes (shift points, throttle control...) are smoothed out.  But do you all really think people are going to be pulling 10-15 mph out of their butts  :|  I checked with the guys that have run the 1.5 over the pond... this is why I am thinking this way.

Bill

Bill,

Trust me you guys and gals are going to go at least 5-10 mph faster, the guys over the pond have never equaled the speeds we as a group have done over here whether at El Mirage, Texas, Bonneville and Maxton.

They have had a few fast passes and the fastest ever recorded at 265.4 mph however that was done by Frank with a 35+ mph tailwind as told to me by a fellow racer that did race the same weekend.  The return speeds were much less and the average was less than 250 for the two way.

Their is another event there in Sept and if their is not a lot of wind or moisture is will be a good comparison to the speeds you folks will run at Loring.

John

I now return you to your regularly scheduled LTA forum discussion.

Offline WildBro

« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »
I can see the 5mph more, but no way 15mph. 

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2009, 12:38:34 PM »
The other thing to consider is that it is primarily asphalt and not concrete. There will likely be new challenges in regards to traction that can easily have an impact on the final speeds. A new challenge & learning curve!

Debbie

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Top Speed Potential
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:31 PM »
Bill,

I think the faired bikes will be the ones that pick up the most mph with the added distance as a few factors will go against an unfaired bike/rider.

1.  Mainly the lack of streamlining on the bike and in front of the rider would be the main reason for a less than even mph gain to the faired machines.

2.  When you ran all of your phenomenal unfaired passes 240-246 mph that ride was very quick and just a flash in the pan with regards to time holding on, moving in to position and getter "aero"  With the added distance I see that you and others will have the potential to go faster than you might think barring any weather conditions.

The above comments are only direct at Turbo Machines that are not able to deliver all the power to the ground in a mine distance at this time, a stock bike of any size may be out of p o o p at the mile and may not pick anything in the next 1/2  mile.

When I ran 240 naked at El Mirage it was just a quick flash at top speed and holding was not an issue however Jason can tell you what it is like to run 235+ at Bonneville for an entire mile, it is a totally different machine as you are holding that a great speed for 3-3.5 miles and as Jason made mention before it was hard to do.

I feel you unfaired can pick up five and Wayne can pick up 10 plus mph on the bike Scott bought from Charlie.

J

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:30 PM »
I agree with John (Don't I always?  :evil:)

The non-turbo bikes are probably close to their aero/hp max and won't see much. The turbo bikes and partially streamlined bikes will gain, and any bike that is having traction limitations at Maxton or Bonneville will have another half mile to dial it in. No amount of length at Bonneville will improve traction.
On the extra asphalt you have time to adjust the throttle, make yourself a little smaller, smoke a cigarette . . .

The big guns could see 15 mph. The 50 cc guys . . . not so much.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
My question is, can my VW BRICK go any faster in 1.5 miles than it does in 1 mile :roll: I'm planning on making the trip up to Loring with the WABBIT in August and looking forward to the whole season to start here on the east coast.

If there is plenty of dry camping at the track, I will be planning a Blue Bird Wanderlodge mini-rally just like we do twice a year at Maxton.

I might stay up in the northeast for an extended trip in the 'Bird, if anybody has any suggestions of inexpensive places to go see, in the eastern Canadian provinces, please email me off the forum at iamflagman@aol.com

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:31:46 PM by iamflagman »
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!