Author Topic: Welcome to the LTA forum  (Read 79185 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

Welcome to the LTA forum
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:23:45 PM »
This is the first official post to the new Loring Timing Association forum. I'm Bob Wanner,one of the Co-conspirators in this project to bring LSR to the North East,the Waaaaasy NorthEast to be specific.
Basically, a few of us enthusiasts located and secured a venue similar to The Maxton Mile, only it's about 400 miles north of Boston. It's the former Loring USAFB, Limestone Maine,close by Caribou. We had hoped to run our maiden event this year, but between Wildlife Refuge restrictions limiting us to post July only events, not being comfortable with the cost of a single event being covered by attendance at such a remote spot, and gas at over $4.00 a gallon, we regretfully pulled the plug on this year. We plan on our first event the first weekend of August,2009. We will run a mirror event to the ECTA, who has been graciously at our side answering silly questions for several months on everything involved in running an event.We are forever in debt to the Turks and Timneys and all the volunteers at ECTA for thier help.
Any Questions ?

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Welcome to the LTA forum
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:11:02 PM »
Good luck on the venture Bob. I'm stuck out here in Utah where there's nothing to do.  :-D How long do you have for a course and shut off? Wayno

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:18 AM »
Good luck on the venture Bob. I'm stuck out here in Utah where there's nothing to do.  :-D How long do you have for a course and shut off? Wayno
Hey Elmo,
Heres a multi event speed week within easy driving distance for you.
www.pershingcountyspeedweek.com

Hopefully Bob will make it out to our event next year - I need someone to take over SSS's pottie role!

carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:47:57 AM »
There should be a Derby Mile forum too I guess. Boy am I looking foward to running there. Pavement. Sweet.

Offline Bonneville Racing News

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:58:47 AM »
Bob,
Can I make an announcement in the next Bonneville Racing News for you?  It should kick up some more interest and supporters for you.  I'll add the organization to the list of LSR contacts printed in each issue too.

Who are all the founders?  Experienced LSR guys?  How's the track's surface? Length?  Active airport? Shut down?  Staging area?  Have you made any test runs?  ECTA tech and classes? Camping potential?  Motels nearby?  Target date for first meet?  Contact phone # and email?

Wendy Jeffries, Editor
Bonneville Racing News
salt@pollybutte.net

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
Bob,
Can I make an announcement in the next Bonneville Racing News for you?  It should kick up some more interest and supporters for you.  I'll add the organization to the list of LSR contacts printed in each issue too.

Who are all the founders?  Experienced LSR guys?  How's the track's surface? Length?  Active airport? Shut down?  Staging area?  Have you made any test runs?  ECTA tech and classes? Camping potential?  Motels nearby?  Target date for first meet?  Contact phone # and email?

Wendy Jeffries, Editor
Bonneville Racing News
salt@pollybutte.net

Hey Wendy welcome to landracing.com  :-).

Those of you who are not familiar with..............

--- Bonneville Racing News--- Bonneville Racing News --- Bonneville Racing News --- Bonneville Racing News ---

should check it out.............

http://www.wendyjeffries.com/BRN.htm

I wasn't aware of the publication for years, but am a regular subscriber now.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »
I hope I didn't get more than a whole bunch of you confused - by starting up this section for Loring.  That is, I didn't put one up for Pershing County -- so is the same thing, or whatever happened to Lovelock, Nevada, or whatever?

I'll start a new section for the Nevada event as soon as the powers that be there (That you, Carl) ask me to start it (which might be some day soon).  In the meantime -- if you've got questions about the Pershing County event, send 'em to Carl Johansson, who posted about four posts ago here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:59:15 AM »
 I was online last October basically mutually whining  with BobbyHotRods, Bob Jepson, about how we'd love to have a LSR venue  more convenient to the NorthEast. I remembered a site, Abandonedairfields.com, someone posted on one of our LSR sites, went there and perused a short list of possibles. Long story short, we have since secured permission to use this large former AF base, complete with a paved strip totaling over 14,000 feet long by 300 feet wide. We'll initially run a mile exactly the way ECTA runs Maxton, and our dream would be to utilize the full runway for two mile runs eventually. The surface for a run south to north starts with 1,000ft slightly deteriorated asphalt, then 1,000ft concrete, then 10,000 ft good asphalt, then another 1,000ft concrete, and another 1,000 of that deteriorating asphalt.
 We now have enough time to educate ourselves in the aspects of running an event, and feel will have enough well known experienced LSR types to safely run a the whole deal.
The airport is inactive, no refueling or tower/landing services. Landings can be made with prior notice to the Loring Development authority, but bring enough fuel for a RT.
Staging, pit areas, camping, water, sanitation, food, etc., are all available and need only be delineated in a meeting to be held very soon. We will be up there for a media/promo and test runs to be video'd to show both for the local community and hopefully a You Tube type tour of the place.
As it is still a very popular Snowmobile area, with over a thousand miles of state maintained trails in winter, lodging is no problem.
As I said in the original post, the first weekend in August is Day one, and two, and?
Some history of the base and a nice independent picture are enclosed
Thanks for your interest, especially BRN and Wendy!
BOB W LTA official mouth
http://www.loring.org/lda_home.asp
http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/7772641.jpg

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »

Hey Wendy welcome to landracing.com  :-).

http://www.wendyjeffries.com/BRN.htm

What happened to "Wendy BRN"???  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Just did a Map Quest,,, only 1198 mile from my house to Loring AFB... Hmm thats about 21 hours drive time?

August of 2009 ?  Sounds like that could be fun.  Good luck.. Hope to be at your First Event...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
Trip distance: 3276.63 miles Time: 48 hrs 37 mins

(3276+3276) / 25 mpg * $4.50 gas = $1,180

Hmm. . . I might have to stick with El Mirage for the moment.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »
Dean, I am twice as close but my fuel cost would be the same.

2400 miles / 12 mpg x 5.00 for diesel = $1,000 for fuel.

Maybe I can offer to carry a few bikes up for the bike riders in my enclosed hauler and share some fuel costs??? 

There has to be a way to cut/share costs so we can help make the first event in ME  a big one...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

LVMAXX

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:34:20 AM by LVMAXX »

Super Kaz

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »
Trip distance: 3276.63 miles Time: 48 hrs 37 mins

(3276+3276) / 25 mpg * $4.50 gas = $1,180

Hmm. . . I might have to stick with El Mirage for the moment.

Dean,
I wish my tow vehicle could get 10mpg let alone 20-25mpg ! :cry:
6000 MILES ROUND TRIP divided by 7- 10mpg X $5.00+GALLON = $4000.00+ for diesel alone :-o!!!!!!
Got any extra room for a brokedickdog like myself :oops:!
I really Would Love to go but this F-250 6.0{and a few Ex's} has put me in the Poor House :|
I'm praying for a Financial Miracle,but we keep pickin the wrong Lotto #'s :?
Wish I could go, :oops:
Kaz...........

LVMAXX

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:34:47 AM by LVMAXX »