Author Topic: Kenetic Energy Recovery Systems  (Read 23801 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Kenetic Energy Recovery Systems
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2009, 12:48:06 AM »

Figure a way around THOSE monumental problems,then go after the trick stuff!

These two have figured it out. Here is their record in G/Blown Gas Streamliner at Bonneville.

Entry name: Costella & Yacoucci  352.525  08/06

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2009, 01:40:21 AM »
So they've solved CdA and F=MA.

Maybe you know something the rest don't know.

They're adding KERS?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2009, 03:14:46 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, it seems to me that Bonneville is much more of a traction and aero-drag problem than a pure power one.  People who have asked my advice seem to have plenty of power left over when they hit their respective aero vs. traction limits and spin the tires.  Most vehicles seem to be limited by acceleration and wheel spin so a little extra boost for the few seconds of the timed mile wouldn't seem to be a major advantage.
It really seems like a no-brainer....there is no limit on how much power you are allowed to use.....so er why would we want KERS????

Blue - The second paragraph of your last post should be etched in stone and put at the El Mirage, Maxton, DLRA, Salt Flats, etc. entrances. (And maybe somehow embedded in the brains of all Landspeed participants).

hear hear!!!!

I am a firm believer that very few people "go the whole hog" with their aero design........power is easy to get.....aero and traction ????? well, there's sixty years of salt experience that we can look back at :roll: :roll: I can't quite articulate it but there is something about this whole discussion that is pushing my ..."so?" button.......... F1 yep, tick, but what has it got to do with LSR?............

I put this up recently .................
This game is a battle between power and drag, you need to convince traction to be your friend. Power you can get at the shop,most people have more than enough.Drag is something your design will dictate and your design is prey to thousands of different factors.Keep it simple , have a reason for everything you do, not a hunch.

The rules. There are very specific minimum requirements related to safety, learn them off by heart and begin your design there. They dictate the smallest possible area you can sit in.

Learn the basics of aerodynamics, it's not likely you'll ever get to a wind tunnel  so apply the knowns, the unknowns are bad science .

anyway, as Bystander said it seems that Yaccouci and Costella have it kinda down
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
Anyone remember the similar problem Jim Hall had 40 years ago?
His car developed down-force as a result of the on-board JLO snowmobile engine providing vacuum (reverse of a hovercraft).
Until it worked, no one said anything (like the true sportsmen they were: "I don't care if it's legal - until it hurts me").
Then he sorted t out, and they all vapor-locked.
Their first idea to "level the playing field" (only cars like we already have can win) was to add the blower engine's displacement to his engine size (even though this had no connection to the wheels, provided no motive force, added weight, etc.) and in general showing themselves to be poor sports and even worse engineers.
That wasn't enough, since the engine was only 17", so they simply outlawed the very basis for all modern race cars (traction is not limited to mass × tire contact patch × gravity) by fiat.
"Cheating" means "you did something I could have done, and did so openly and honestly, but I didn't think of it - so it must be wrong".

Remember the underlying principle of our ancestor sport: horse racing?
The purpose of racing is to improve the breed.

Any rule that punishes innovation requires careful scrutiny, and should be adopted only after less restrictive measures have been unsuccessful.

Offline jl222

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
  Panic
 It seems a lot of racers have forgotten Jim Hall, the Chaparral racers and all their inventions for downforce.
 Or they may of never heard of him as this happend before some were born.
 Their adjustable spoiler design can still be used and the so can the sucker [on streamliners[ might get clogged fast though :-P
 This is why I post articles about WW11 supercharging and water injection because it can be forgotten or never realized information
is out there.

JL222

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:00:38 PM by jl222 »

Blue

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2009, 03:27:17 AM »
  Panic
 It seems a lot of racers have forgotten Jim Hall, the Chaparral racers and all their inventions for downforce.
 Or they may of never heard of him as this happend before some were born.
 Their adjustable spoiler design can still be used and the so can the sucker [on streamliners[ might get clogged fast though :-P
 This is why I post articles about WW11 supercharging and water injection because it can be forgotten or never realized information
is out there.
The two absolutely awesome car aerodynamic inventions of the past half century (wings are older) are moveable aero and powered aero.  Both were outlawed and both are good ideas that belong in modern vehicle design.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2009, 08:50:42 AM »
   Years ago,I believe in Hot Rod, There was an article dealing with the lack of traction in Funny Car. The premise was that since the cars were putting out so much extra horsepower and a little extra weight wouldn't hurt they proposed to put a short skirt around the lower edge of the body like a hovercraft and put a pair of huge turbos on the engine with the intake side of the compressor ducted under the car and the outlet side ducted out the rear of the body. The theory was that the faster the car went , the more air was removed from underneath and vented out the back. Never caught on. Probably too many: What if's? If something went wrong, What would keep it from flying? Would the driver be operating in a vacuum?
Too much imagination. :cheers: Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »
Doug;

That sounds like Jim Hall's Can- Am "sucker" car. Two big fans were powered by a snowmobile engine. It went like hell but the SCCA outlawed it.

REgards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »
Amazing how the memory fades. I think I remember that a rail tried it with a snout off the roots to the ground. IIRC  worked too well. I think that was before carbon, slipper clutches and sticky tires. YMMV

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2009, 11:58:22 PM »
See Pete Robinson- now deceased.

Maybe Pete augered in because of air suction device off blower creating havoc.

Recently deceased (from living, not racing )Don Arivett took a non-mechanical approach and used body shape -ALA Jocko Johnson 1957 efforts -for downforce. Arivett's design legislated out years ago.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline desotoman

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2009, 01:15:41 AM »
Photo by Dave Wallace.

Pete crashed the car on this run. The downforce worked too good.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2009, 10:58:38 AM »
That sounds like Jim Hall

really?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
OK-- got me. I should have read the previous posts.  :roll:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ