Author Topic: 100 mpg?  (Read 24600 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: 100 mpg?
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 01:39:57 PM »
what ya trying to say beer boy?...so what, ya gonna pm me again cuz ya dont like what i have to say and dont want to do it in public ? before ya go all high and mighty, you might want to realize you actually are the one who made a derogatory public post directed at me... so you sir have brought to public attention that fact that my recent posts have been moderated... so my question is... "are you the punk (i was gonna say asshole but am censoring myself) that has been deleting my posts?
Kent

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
what ya trying to say beer boy?...so what, ya gonna pm me again cuz ya dont like what i have to say and dont want to do it in public ? before ya go all high and mighty, you might want to realize you actually are the one who made a derogatory public post directed at me... so you sir have brought to public attention that fact that my recent posts have been moderated... so my question is... "are you the punk (i was gonna say asshole but am censoring myself) that has been deleting my posts?

Kent

I have locked up a few topics, but I have never deleted a single post.  If something you've written was locked up or I've offended you here somewhere, I'm sorry.

When I first started posting, you were one of the people who encouraged me to move forward on my project, and I'm grateful for that.

Chris Conrad
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:19:12 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline edweldon

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »
It's not always about power alone - HP to weight ratio is where efficiency and fun meet.  With today's EFI systems and properly geared, a 4 cylinder fiber-T could probably get better mileage than a lot of current economy cars.

That is very true, a lightweight efficient rod could probably get even better than the typical new economy car.  It would also be pretty fun to drive as the hp-to-weight ratio would still be in the pretty fun range.  Imagine a 1800 lb rod (could even be less) with a 180 hp 4 cyl engine.  That is 10 lbs/hp.  Same as a 4000 lb car with a 400 hp engine.  Most new cars at 4000 lbs have 200-300 hp range, unless they are specifically performance models.

Check out this book on how to build your own Lotus 7 knockoff (easily under 1500 lbs):
Build Your Own Sports Car for As Little As 250 Pounds and Race It! (2nd edition)
Author: Ron Champion, Hardcover, 191 pages
Publication Date: December 2000
Publisher: Haynes Pub Group
ISBN-10: 1859606369
ISBN-13: 9781859606360
 Barnes and Nobel List Price: $34.95
And another note -- there's someone in the UK or maybe the Netherlands, can't remember for sure, that makes a reversing transmission add on for the Hayabusa engine.
Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.

Offline Vortex1

• New folks
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »
Ed, It think Nova Racing Transmissions is the name of the company in the UK.

Jim B

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »
Ed;

Years ago I built a little mid- engine sports car based on a design by John Sable of Rockville, MD. It had one of John'e fiberglass bodies and a steel tube space frame with aluminum stressed panels. The engine was a 140hp Corvair driving a Porsche transaxle. The whole thing weighed only about 950 lbs and went like stink! If the car is lightweight it doesn't take much power to give high performance. I never checked the milage, though. :)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline hotschue

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2008, 03:12:13 PM »
Niel, FYI, John Sable is alive and well living in Carlisle, Pa.  He has volunteered to help construct the nose cone for my MS project.  John still has Sable Sports Racer #001 which he is restoring.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply-- I'm glad to know that John is still around-- he was a very nice guy. I have a few photos that I took of his car and in his shop back in the late '60s; if they would help his restoration effort I'd be glad to scan them for him.

Here is John holding his daughter and me adjusting his wing. This was at Summit Point.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline joea

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »
kent...........Im SOOOOO glad to see ya back.....

miss ya.....

Joe :)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
Joe, are you back? or still posting from your post  :-D 
Where are you and Judy celebrating your honeymoon anniversary?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

canadianrocky

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
Back in the day (1978) I stumbled upon a stone stock 1963 Chevy II that had less than 10,000 miles on it. I asked the guy if he wanted to sell it, and after some huming and hawing he sold it to me for about $1,500. It was in perfect shape and he told me that no one had even sat in the back seat since it was brand new, and it sure showed that way. Everything on the car was original, and he even had the original battery in the back of his shop. All I had to do was to get the shifting lincage fixed.

It had a six cylinder with a three on the tree. I took it one a trip once and got a very respectable 32 mpg with it at about 60 mph on the highway.

Of course, it did not have air bags, crumple zones, shoulder straps, etc, etc. As long as I did not get hit by anything, I was fine. It also did not have Air Conditioning, MP3 player, comfortable seats, etc, etc.

Now I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. It has comfortable seats, crumple zones, air conditioning, shoulder belts, MP3 player, four wheel drive, a box in the back I can sleep in, towing capacity of 6,500 lbs AND it gets a very respectable 28 MPG on the highway. Also, I would doubt the Chevy would get what the Tacoma get around town to boot.

They don't make cars like they use to, and thank God for that.

As far as the 100 mpg, i think that it would be much more important to get rid of the Land Yachts that get 10 to 15 mpg and put out more cars that get 40 to 60 mpg. That is a much more realistic goal.

I am not so much amazed at how much people with pay for gas, as I am what people will pay for milk and bread. If someone goes to the store in their $50,000 1 ton 4x4 that gets 12 mpg in the city, that is VERY, VERY expensive milk and bread.

Oh, I don't have the Chevy anymore. When I got my divorce, my X got half the stuff. I just did not know that her lawyer would make sure she got the best half of it.

Offline mightymanx

• New folks
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »
100 mpg in a car has been blown away quite a while ago VW got over 200 with there car.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/laugh-at-high-g.html

The US does not allow the import of the small high efficiency diesels like the new Mini with a compound turbo diesel made by Toyota. My 1979 VW rabbit gets 37mpg and its diesel twin gets over 60 for  a 30 year old car. :-o The US auto industry has the public brainwashed that if they don't have a 4000lb car with a hemi they are not safe and will die. the scare tactic worked we have made no improvements in fuel economy sense the late 70's

that is my $.02 on the subject.

Dan
"...for thoes who do it well racing IS life, every thing else before and after is just waiting."
-Steve McQueen LeMans 1971

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 12:28:55 AM »
100 mpg in a car has been blown away quite a while ago VW got over 200 with there car.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/laugh-at-high-g.html

The US does not allow the import of the small high efficiency diesels like the new Mini with a compound turbo diesel made by Toyota. My 1979 VW rabbit gets 37mpg and its diesel twin gets over 60 for  a 30 year old car. :-o The US auto industry has the public brainwashed that if they don't have a 4000lb car with a hemi they are not safe and will die. the scare tactic worked we have made no improvements in fuel economy sense the late 70's

that is my $.02 on the subject.

Dan

Dan, you're spot on, and I encourage anyone to go to this blog and read the comments made by people knocking this car, or any lightweight vehicle.  It has gotten to the point that instead of defensive driving, many folks feel it's necessary to armor themselves.  Below is my quote on a comment by 38Chevy454 from earlier in this thread, and I really believe it bears repeating.

The biggest problem with newer cars is weight.  All those 14 air bags, power (seats, door locks, windows, mirrors, sunvisors, etc) add weight.  The crash requirements add weight.  Emissions equipment adds weight.  Accelerating and maintaining that weight takes some fixed amount of energy.
. . .
As far as safety is concerned, cars don't kill people, people kill people.  Better drivers education, not airbags, 5-mph bumpers, or crumple zones, are what will be necessary if we want to have a 100-MPG car.  Until then, I don't think people will give up their cocoons.

I'm sorry if I sound preachy about this, but it gnaws at me, because the responsibility of operating a car safely never enters into the argument.  It almost always falls on the shoulders of the manufacturers through the acts of knee-jerk governmental agencies to change the cars.  I really believe that the cars are not the problem, it's the operators.

So Dan, with your $.02, and mine, we can buy $.04 of gasoline and travel about 3 miles down the road in this very cool VW concept, or idle at a stoplight for a minute in an Escalade and pray we don't get hit by a Hummer.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:26 AM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »
New 65 mpg European Ford:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_37/b4099060491065.htm

Mike

Hey, Mike -

Read this one earlier this week.

Once again, diesel technology.  We were in Ireland 2 years ago, and I was taken aback by the number of small diesel vans they had, most of which were completely capable of doing what most working pickup trucks do here in the states at twice the mileage, and made by manufacturers with a presence in the US market.  The vehicles are out there today, and I can't get my hands on one.