Author Topic: 100 mpg?  (Read 24592 times)

Offline joea

Re: 100 mpg?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 05:10:33 AM »
in the 1990's we bought a used 1990 geo metro lsi......go
to fueleconomy.gov.....look up the sticker mpg for it.....the old
standards......it was rated at 55 city......58 hwy........

we got 61 mpg going to denver one trip.....

what the f have we been doing.......cant even buy a hybrid now that gets that
kind of mileage that a used car got almost 20 yrs ago.......

and we got a patient in our ER/OR/ICU that was in a head on collision with one of them.....who survived
just fine.....

check out:  (this is a production fricken car..a real car)

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/11/01/audi-a3-tdie-crosses-australia-at-71-3-mpg/

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 05:57:47 AM »
unfortunatly Joe they start at 40K ( down under) for a  bare basics car ,which is well above the cost of the discounted large gas guzzlers ,cannot see many sales , especially amoung the working class I associate with , costs for regular unleaded is passing through the $1.75 liter and Diesel is just off $2.00 liter and our govt is about to increase the excise /tax on lpg substantly along with a new carbon tax and not satasified with that have levied a tax on all alternate fuels based on BTU's per liter ,a no win for us plebs  :cry:
slower than most

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
I have lately been thinking about selling my '32 HiBoy with a thumper 383, TH350, hugh rear tires and steep rear gear. It's a daily driver in good weather and fun to drive.

I've been thinking about building a light weight 'glass '27 Track style T Roadster with a 2.3L Pinto or Ranger 4 cyl. and 5 speed. Should get decent MPG, perform well and still be fun to drive. No airbags or side bars, just a cautious driver.

Hotrodders do adapt. Should be some interesting rides being built in the next years.

Tom

Hey Tom put a 700R4 in the hiboy and fuel inject it and you would be in the mid 20's with the right cam.  I have a friend with GM's 383 ram jet in a '34 coupe that gets 24-26 mpg all the time running on the open road.  I just got 23 mpg on a trip to Moab recently with my new motor and I'm going to go the EFI route next winter with it.

c ya,

Sum

Offline desotoman

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »
I have lately been thinking about selling my '32 HiBoy with a thumper 383, TH350, hugh rear tires and steep rear gear. It's a daily driver in good weather and fun to drive.

Tom

Hi Tom,

When you say steep rear gear, what are you running a 4.11? You might try a lower numerical gear and use the torque that motor puts out to get better mileage. Just a thought. Cheaper than building a new car.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline mrdodge

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
Hey Hawkwind

Further to your comments, in NZ right now unleaded is $2.19. a litre and premiun is $2.24 a litre. For our friends in the US, that converts to NZ$8.40 a US gallon which in turn converts to approx US$6.40 a gallon :cry:. Sure am looking forward to our trip to Bonneville so we can put some "cheap" gas in the car :-D
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 11:35:04 PM »
I've been thinking about building a light weight 'glass '27 Track style T Roadster with a 2.3L Pinto or Ranger 4 cyl. and 5 speed. Should get decent MPG, perform well and still be fun to drive. No airbags or side bars, just a cautious driver.

A 4-popper track-T would be a righteous ride.  A lot of performance parts are available for the 2.3, or the 2.5 Chevy, for that matter.  I've contemplated a 2.5 Mopar with a Dakota 5 speed in a Morris Minor, but not until the Midget is done.

It's not always about power alone - HP to weight ratio is where efficiency and fun meet.  With today's EFI systems and properly geared, a 4 cylinder fiber-T could probably get better mileage than a lot of current economy cars.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:55 PM »
It's not always about power alone - HP to weight ratio is where efficiency and fun meet.  With today's EFI systems and properly geared, a 4 cylinder fiber-T could probably get better mileage than a lot of current economy cars.

That is very true, a lightweight efficient rod could probably get even better than the typical new economy car.  It would also be pretty fun to drive as the hp-to-weight ratio would still be in the pretty fun range.  Imagine a 1800 lb rod (could even be less) with a 180 hp 4 cyl engine.  That is 10 lbs/hp.  Same as a 4000 lb car with a 400 hp engine.  Most new cars at 4000 lbs have 200-300 hp range, unless they are specifically performance models.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »
Whats all this gotta do with land speed racing? you guys bag on Ratliff for posting stuff that ya think is not related to lsr...
kr

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 01:03:37 PM »
Kent, it is in the non LSR section, which might be a good spot for a "bagging on Rat) post.... just kidding y'all
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »
Some pretty interesting stuff on new diesel technology.

http://www.greendieselcorp.com/index.html

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 01:30:14 AM »
Kent, it is in the non LSR section, which might be a good spot for a "bagging on Rat) post.... just kidding y'all
See ya on the salt  8-)

Man, I hope you are kidding, because moderating ANYTHING the gallant defender of the propeller driven composite car has become a nightmare of late.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

MCR

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 05:41:00 AM »
Some pretty interesting stuff on new diesel technology.

http://www.greendieselcorp.com/index.html

Tom G.

Sounds interesting, but my Snake Oil sensor is vibrating. 

160,000 PSI injection pressure achieved by replacing the existing injectors for 3% of engine cost?  Since they have pictures of a Duramax (LBZ most likely, if you look at the passenger side feeder pipe) in their ads let's use that.  IIRC, the retail on the engine is $15,000.  What's that, $450?  That is how much one factory Bosch injector is at retail, roughly. 

The existing LBZ engine runs at 180mPa (26,000PSI) injection pressure, which is about the highest out there.  When we crank up the pressure to 29000, we crack injector bodies occasionally, so they must be running all new injector bodies.  No way for $450.

Then they have have graphs of their system reducing cylinder pressure in half. 
Uhhh...  Wait.  I can do that too by reducing engine output.  Cylinder pressure is closely tied to torque/HP.  Reducing spikes is good, reducing average pressure ATDC is bad.

I could go on, but I've probably bored most the readers already.

Point being, their is no free lunch.  I love the idea of high rail pressure, but it's not going to happen by magic.  Nor is high rail pressure the end all of common rail.  They claim ultra high pressure will stop engine knock.  Really?  Crank your rail pressure up to max at idle and it will sound like the pistons are .020" undersize to the bore.

So if anyone is thinking about investing with them (that is their goal today) please be careful.  Every time fuel prices climb, there are alot of Get Rich Quick schemes popping up everywhere in the transportation industry.

Anyone for a Hydrogen Generator?  :-D

MCR

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 05:51:06 AM »
Whats all this gotta do with land speed racing? you guys bag on Ratliff for posting stuff that ya think is not related to lsr...
kr

Efficient use of HP and good brake mean efficiency is the essence of high performance.  Get the most power out of your fuel, and use that power to it's best advantage.

It is no surprise that 505HP Corvette gets 26mpg hwy.  The 505HP tells you they know how to build and tune an engine.  The 26mpg tells you the body is slippery and the fuel consumed is being used completely.

As far as Ratliff goes?  I read newspapers, magazines, and watch TV, as well as read the internet.  If something doesn't interest me, I don't read it.  Some folk have a hard time of it.  Not a popular opinion perhaps.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 11:45:51 AM »
The double overdrive 6-Speed manual transmission also helps a lot for highway mileage.

MCR

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »
On our 2002 Z06, you hit redline (6800?) in 5th (overdrive 1), then shift into 6th(overdrive 2) it actually slows down nearly 15mph.

But...  It will actually take off from a stoplight in 6th if you are good.  Runs clean from idle to 7300 if you remove the limiter.