Author Topic: Firesuits: Who made yours, how do you like?  (Read 4917 times)

MCR

Firesuits: Who made yours, how do you like?
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
Shopping for a SFI 15 or SFI 20 firesuit.  SFI 15's are the rarest.

Who are good sources?  Trying to keep it under $1000, but looking at everything.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:21:29 PM by MCR »

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Firesuits: Who made yours, how do you like?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
The folks at Stroud Safety  are great folks and have off the shelf stuff and do custom suits as well..

I got mine in less than 3 weeks.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline stratman59

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:34:22 PM »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
No sense buying a 15 -- someday you might need a 20, as I did.  I asked Bob Stroud if one was more comfortable than the other.  No.  But for a little more you have greater protection even and when you need it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline speediesparks

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »
 I have a Simpson SFI-20 ,only need a SFI-15,but really like the extra protection.I would also look at the ads in National Dragster,there always seems to be one for sale there.You might try ebay they show up sometimes. :-D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:32:30 PM by speediesparks »
Just counting the days to go racing!

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
Take a look at racingjunk .com. In the safety equipment section. Depending on your size there several 15-20 suits for sale,

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/race-suits.html
try these guys
later
robbie

That is were I recently got mine from and I like it so far, but only have had it on to try the belts and the rest of the stuff with.  It was $760 for the /20 and I paid $60 more for my name and some horizontal racing stripes.  Figured I would look fast even if I wasn't going fast  8-).

I think they said a couple months, but it was less than a month from the time I ordered it.  They want lots of measurements and that seems to pay off in a very good fitting suit.  You don't want to get larger or smaller as the suit will fit the measurements you send to them.  To me it looks well made.

I think Mike (Ack Attack) put me on to them and I think that is what they got for Rocky,

Sum

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
i had a Simspon suit made for me last year as the ones off the selves did not fit right.  It is a SFI-15 and the SFI 20 were only about $75.00 more. More material selection and colors in the SFI 20 but don't ever anticipate ever needing the SFI 20 with our car.  It only cost 700.00 but being a new driver last year and what with all the other saftey gear( shoes, helmet. gloves etc.  the bill was closer to a Grand. Yikes!!!!!  I got mine at Hunt racing in Fair Oaks California. Jeanie Hunt took care to make sure that measurments were correct and when Simspon sent my two piece suite as a one piece. It was corrected and only took a total time of 3 weeks to receive, from  the original order date.  It is a well fitting suit and comfortable. Well as comfortable as it can be considering it feels like it weighs 10 pounds.

Ps Simpson offers free alterations on all of their fire suits.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:39:20 PM by cheeto racer »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »
Just a heads up.  When I had Deist make mine a few eons back, I flew down to L.A. and had their seamstress do the measuring on me in person.  What I wasn't smart enough to tell her was that I sit low in the car with long legs making my knees rather high.  This, I guarantee will raise your voice a minimum of two octives when Jensen or his henchmen "snug you up".  I finally went back and they were able to add two inches to the outside seam of the pants.  Now I need about six more inches in the front of the jacket because of.....ah.........shrinkage, yeah thats it, shrinkage................. :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Tom Bryant

• http://www.bryantauto.com
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »
I have worn Simpson and for several years wore Deist two-piece suits. A few years ago, I purchased a Carbon X one-piece SFI-20 suit from Design 500, the only supplier of the Carbon X material at the time. It cost $1,200 but I consider it worth the money. It is more comfortable (lighter in weight) than my previous suit and still offers more protection. Several safety suppliers now have Carbon X suits in their line of fire suits.

Tom
I don't understand..."It won't work!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC
 - LSR since 1955 - www.bryantauto.com

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:56:58 AM »
Deist did my -20 2 piece. Being 6'8" and 240# means I can't buy off the rack. I'm happy with it, though I've never had to see if it works (and I hope I never do!). Good people at Jimmy Deists!

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 07:12:35 AM »
Deist made my fire suit and they did a great job.  Its a one piece and when it need a little altering they did it perfect and you could not tell at all.  Brian #7796

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 06:34:37 PM »
My -20 is a Leaf. Paid $325.00 new at the Long Beach Ca. Hipo Swap Meet. My -15 is a Simpson. also new with a fadded spot from the showroom. $150.00 Same swap meet different month......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »
I went with Stroud----ordered it when I went through OKC---have been verry pleased---Stroud will also re web his Quick releases!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

MCR

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
Thanks for all your input.

I ended going for a SFI 20 suit from Simpson.  Why?  Their web-based custom suit info was better and pricing about the same as the rest for a true 5 layer custom suit.  Since I'm a fatman, I figured a custom suit would keep folk from mistaking me for the Michelin Tire dude.

They claimed it would ready in 3-4 weeks, so we will see.  If it doesn't arrive before Speedweek, I'll be a spectator.