Author Topic: Tubing Notchers and Benders??  (Read 43446 times)

Offline comp

Re: Tubing Notchers and Benders??
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 11:17:42 PM »
Thats the one I have and it has all but expired.

Scott

how many cuts did you make ???

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 11:21:50 PM »

Scott

I would say less than thirty. It will still cut, but when I have to spend more time working on a tool than the tool is working, it is time to look for another.

Scott

Offline comp

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 11:29:23 PM »

Scott

I would say less than thirty. It will still cut, but when I have to spend more time working on a tool than the tool is working, it is time to look for another.

Scott

can it be modded to improve it ??

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »

Scott

Scott

It might have to be as right now I can't spend $300 plus for a new one. I was hoping to find some plans to build a new one, but I might just have to think a little for myself and come up with my own design.

Scott

Offline comp

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 11:56:25 PM »

Scott

Scott

It might have to be as right now I can't spend $300 plus for a new one. I was hoping to find some plans to build a new one, but I might just have to think a little for myself and come up with my own design.

Scott

reason i ask i have a buddy and he isn't happy with his ,,so is you find info do let us know

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 12:16:41 AM »
I have a setup that I built that I mount in my mill which will cut any conceivable angle on any size of tube. Despite that I often use the two cut method with a slight grinder tune up as I feel it gives me greater access to the root of the joint and ensures absolute penetration. Actually a belt or disc sander works really well in place of a grinder.

Pete

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
If you have a mill, just clamp the tube in the vise and use hole saws to notch. I made an arbor for the hole saw out of a large bolt, 5/8 I think. Keep the speed around 500 rpm and the hole saws will last longer and be less likely to snag.

Then I have this bender, http://cgi.ebay.com/Race-Car-tube-tubing-bender-4-dies-and-pump-complete_W0QQitemZ260272226698QQihZ016QQcategoryZ92150QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It works great and for the money I haven't seen a bender that comes with as many dies.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »
Thanks for the link, I have seen the bender before without all of the dies.......looks like a nice piece.

Scott

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »
I made by own tubing notcher and it has worked fine for angles less than 45 degrees. We are buildinf a lakester and must have made more than 100 notches. Use only bi metalic cutters,SLOW speed,and lots of oil. Cutter life varies but isn't great. I wish I could find a fine tooth cutter.I have cut only DOM tubing.

Offline Superfast Matt McCoy

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »
I bought the Harbor Freight notcher with the intention of modifying it.  I was going to mill out the cheap bearings and press in some good ones, but the thing works great as is.

You can tell it is cheap material, but as long as you're careful and tube notching isn't your business...

One question for those of you who have this notcher: is there a way to get it to cut angles up to 55 or 60 degrees?  it's advertised up to that high, but it doesn't seem to be able to go past about 40 even with the hole saw in the farthest back position.

Am I missing something?  The instruction manual is pretty useless.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 07:16:02 PM »
Matt;

The Harbor freight tubing notcher will work on those angles but you must use a very small hole saw.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
I was taught by Duane Korn from H&L Metals on Signal Hill, who did all of my bending, how to make tube joints using a torch. I would not recommend it with 4130 but on mild steel it works great. You need to calculate the depth of the cut into the tube and then lay the cutting torch at the angle that you need and start with the torch in the middle of the tube. Once the metal starts to melt and you have a small puddle, hit the ox and stroke the torch to cut one side and then, keeping the torch at the same angle to the tube, stroke back to cut the other side of the notch. You will need to have the ox high enough to cut the depth you want the joint to be. A little clean up on the big disc grinder and you are ready to go. I know it sounds kind of crude but like everything if you work at it you can get pretty good. I have built probably 10 cages most of them for sports cars, so they are pretty complex and have used this method for them all.

That being said I think I'll buy one of the JIG a Joints for the next one just to try it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
I was taught by Duane Korn from H&L Metals on Signal Hill, who did all of my bending, how to make tube joints using a torch. I would not recommend it with 4130 but on mild steel it works great. You need to calculate the depth of the cut into the tube and then lay the cutting torch at the angle that you need and start with the torch in the middle of the tube. Once the metal starts to melt and you have a small puddle, hit the ox and stroke the torch to cut one side and then, keeping the torch at the same angle to the tube, stroke back to cut the other side of the notch. You will need to have the ox high enough to cut the depth you want the joint to be. A little clean up on the big disc grinder and you are ready to go. I know it sounds kind of crude but like everything if you work at it you can get pretty good. I have built probably 10 cages most of them for sports cars, so they are pretty complex and have used this method for them all.

That being said I think I'll buy one of the JIG a Joints for the next one just to try it.

Rex

Rex - Interesting, any chance of you taking a few pictures and showing your method in steps??

Scott

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 01:42:08 AM »
I'll do some pics in a couple of weeks, plan to be real busy next week.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline comp

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 01:47:07 AM »
I'll do some pics in a couple of weeks, plan to be real busy next week.

Rex

will be looking for them