Author Topic: Tubing Notchers and Benders??  (Read 43439 times)

Offline isiahstites

Tubing Notchers and Benders??
« on: July 04, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »
What are you guys using for notchers? I am planning on building a new bike and am going to need a good bender and a notcher first. The notcher I have now is a POS. Are there any links you guys have to a notcher I could build rather than buy? Show me what you guys are using for notchers and benders. I will probably build a bender and buy a notcher unless someone has a good plan for a notcher.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: Tubing Notchers and Benders??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »
I have used the www.lowbucktools.com notcher for many years with good results. I do use the 4 inch grinder after I notch the tubing to get the best fit. I have built about 30 race cars with this notcher and never had to replace anything.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »
Scott

The radiused end of a tube turned 90 degrees is 2 straight cuts . I do mine with my Portaband and dress with a 4" grinder .

John

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the link and suggestions. I have been using my cheap notcher and then dressing the notches up with a die grinder if needed. I want something that is going to make a precision notch for a very good fit. The low buck notcher I have seen before, I am not sure how it works, does it just cut the tube instead of drilling on it with a holesaw?? Is it kinda like a punch?

Scott

Offline hotschue

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »
Nice, easy and clean cuts.....Harbor Freight $50.....Bi-metal saws Home Depot... chrome moly cage....perfect fit every time..I was considering buying a high dollar notcher, glad I didn't.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
Hotschue:

This one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42324

Make perfect joints for clean secure welds. Use with your electric drill or drill press. Precision settings from 0° to 60° in 1° increments.

Use with 1/2'' chuck
Accepts 1/2'' and 5/8'' threaded arbor hole saws
2'' pipe capacity
Requires 14'' clearance between chuck and table
Adjustable mounting bracket
All steel frame

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 08:08:36 PM »
Thats the one I have and it has all but expired.

Scott

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
The Dave Williams Low Buck is a different breed from the jig-a-joint type notchers.Noneof those IMHOP-and I've used three or four - are rigid enough structurally for long  term use.

Plenty OK for a few builds, though.

The Low Buck is more robust but doesn't do angles easily- I think the one I used in the late '70s might have been the prototype and Dave might have improved it by now.Dave had as big a market with corral builders as he did racers in those days. Norco, Ca IS horse country!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline hotschue

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »
Mike, thats the one.  I also had tohad to cut a larger tube than the unit is designed for.  The shank mount is bolted on and I put a shim washer under the mount to center the cutter.  Really easy to work with, although having a drill press helped keep everything steady.  One cutter head cut all of the fish mouths pictured.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 11:39:53 PM »
I have been using the JDsquared heavy duty tubing notcher and am a very happy customer.  When used with Starret hole saws you get a very precise combo.   If you keep the Starret holesaw lubed up it will last for many cuts in chromoly.

I also use a JDsquared model 3 bender at my personal shop an i enjoy it alot more than the old hosfeld (sp) we used at the chassis shop i worked at.  Is nice and sturdy and has an excellent fit and finish.

Cheers,

Grant B.

p.s. I have used that harbor freight notcher and i can't say i was very happy with it at all.  Had alot of slop in it and i wonder if it would even last through one chromoly cage. 

Offline hotschue

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
Just a pic in use.  Lube everything, moderate to lite pressure on cutter,  takes about 30-45 sec. to make cut.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »
Mike, thats the one.  I also had tohad to cut a larger tube than the unit is designed for.  The shank mount is bolted on and I put a shim washer under the mount to center the cutter.  Really easy to work with, although having a drill press helped keep everything steady.  One cutter head cut all of the fish mouths pictured.

I use mine in a drill press as well and I to had to add a washer to the unit to center the cutter. Don't get me wrong it worked, but it just wasn't to my liking all that much, I felt like I was spending unecessary time with the unit to get it to work properly. Then I started feeling well I got what I paid for.

Scott

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »
I bought a Harbor Freight tubing notcher and it works OK with good quality bi- metal hole saws. I use DeWalt saws but others are probably just as good. It isn't a high quality tool but I only need to make enough cuts to build my roll cage. Like another user I had to put washers under the three tube bolts fastening the tube holder to get it lined up correctly. Crummy but cheap-- two stars.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »
..Probably belongs in "How To" but, I use the hole saw to cut a "donut" out of a sponge and leave it in the  saw. Soak them in oil and you have an auto-lube .    Jerry :-)
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
I used a "Joint-Jigger" for several cars, it worked very well compared to some of the cheaper copies. I finally stepped up to this machine:

http://www.pro-tools.com/emn510.htm

I don't know if it's worth the extra initial cost, but it sure works nice.....