Author Topic: Rule 3.I Page 24 Fuel Systems  (Read 11839 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Rule 3.I Page 24 Fuel Systems
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
I have a question as to what "heavy steel tubing tubing means? (size etc..)"All fuel lines in the area of the clutch and flywheel shall run through heavy steel tubing or outside the frame rail, regardless of the presence of a scatter shield"

Here are a few pics of my setup... Notice the 1/2 Alum Fuel Line, it has  blue shrink tube around it as it goes through some 1/8 wall steel tubing. Does this meet the requirement of heavy steel tubing?

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline t russell

Re: Rule 3.I Page 24 Fuel Systems
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:54 PM »
I will say it should but the truth is I would have to inspect the car. When you were teched I am sure it was looked at if you were inspected for over 135.
terry

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Terry,  I was tech'd to 135 only.

There was 3 area's of concern.

1. This fuel line, but after reading the rule I need clarification??  Is this not heavy enough? If not how thick is heavy tubing?  Also I do not want to take this apart can I just put another tube over it as a shield (if in fact this is deemed "not heavy enough"

2. My doors on a 33 Ford open backwards (suicide doors)  The door latches are not "stock"  I have the 2 step "Bear Claw"  latches,,,  I thoght that was OK,, but the last thing I want is my door flying open,, so I am in process of working up a secondaty dead bolt system that can be operated from both inside and outside the car.

3. My Power shut off switch is to close to the license late and body of the car.  I need to make the rod longer so in the "off position it is where it is now in the on position, so it is easy to use, just by tapping it,,, you have to push in and under the body now..

4. My tires are T rated  (thought that was OK  to 150mph,,, maybe they are.. I am in process of getting H Rated Hoosier Pro Street Radials  or Micky Thompson Sportsman S/R 's  Both are H rated and should be ok to 175MPH at Maxton

Not sure which of the items  1-3  kept me at 135  , not 150 this past weekend,  but better to err on the side of caution.. I will fix what needs to be fixed so I can tech to 150 in Sept.

All in all, with a from scratch new car and it being my first LSR car, I am very pleased it was OK'd to run and that I did OK on my second run..

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:23:56 AM »
Charles
It doesn't say it now, but I think the rule book used to define this as 1/4" steel to protect the fuel line.
On the Merk and lakester I used 1/4" steel plate, bolted to the chassis to accomplish this and passed tech easily the first time with both cars.

Rick
Rick

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
I have not ever inspected at Maxton and I have only inspected 5 or six times---but I would not seek counsel of a more senior inspector  with a fuel line through .120 tubing---
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
Did the inspector write anything in your log book?  He should have noted deficiencies during the inspection as well as areas of concern.  During an inspection it is also really good to have a note pad and take notes. 
Even folks that have been at this for a long time tend to forget "suggestions" from an inspector unless he writes them down in the log book.  Just remember everything they tell you is aimed at your safety and well being. 
That prospective is the toughest part for an inspector, should he note you should do something that you should do, even if it is not a rule requirement, but he knows it is something that will help protect you...
Sounds like you did well for your first inspection.  Overkill is always better than underkill.  My opinion is the protective devices should be the same thickness for the same job.  Is your scattershield 1/8th?  If so that should meet the requirement for a fuel tube protector, but if that was an area of concern, I would move to 1/4 wall.  Remember if it is needed will 1/8 stop a metal jacketed .223, 30-06, 7mm Mag or 44 Mag? 
Just my thoughts, not necessarily that if the staff and management....  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:45:58 AM »
I was teched and approved only to 135.... I was told that the items I listed needed attention. My main question was about the term "heavy wall tubing"    
No tube wall thickness is listed...

I want to be safe and follow all the rules, but I am at a loss on how to procede on the fuel line deal.  I have 1/8" wall tubing around the fuel line now... Can I put another 1/8" piece of angle, or C channel over it to make a total of 1/4"  ?

Is 1/4" the actual thickness needed ? I do not want this to be a problem.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:52:31 AM »
If it was me and I didn't want it to be a problem, I would go with the 1/4 wall. It's cheap, easy and you know it's legal.

MCR

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »
I was teched and approved only to 135.... I was told that the items I listed needed attention. My main question was about the term "heavy wall tubing"    
No tube wall thickness is listed...

I want to be safe and follow all the rules, but I am at a loss on how to procede on the fuel line deal.  I have 1/8" wall tubing around the fuel line now... Can I put another 1/8" piece of angle, or C channel over it to make a total of 1/4"  ?

Is 1/4" the actual thickness needed ? I do not want this to be a problem.

Charles

How thick is a rollbar?  I think anyone would consider that "heavy" steel.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
My cage is  1 5/8  .120 wall DOM
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »
charles  im guessing here but if you have a 1/2 fuel line you are putting it through a 1 or 1  1/8 or maybe a 1 1/4 tube  in that tube diameter 1/8 inch isnt "heavy wall " its more of medium wall--the rule doesnt mention wall thickness and it should --if you can submit a rule change request if you cant let me know and i will --the rule should specify a wall thickness i would sugest 1/4 in. ---it is much safer to run the fuel lines on the outside of the frame if you have ever seen a clutch explode ar a trans  (im sure someone will post a pic) you wouldnt run them a piece of 1/8 in wall tubing --remember the rule book are minimums and also the rule should be more precise than 'heavy steel tubing'  just some thoughts
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »
If you want it to Never be questioned, make it 1/4"
Yes, I think two layers of 1/8" thick mild steel will equal 1/4"

Rick

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »
Charles, from the pictures it looks like a piece of C-channel mounted around what you have would offer you any protection in the event of parts flying around the fuel line. Or like R.Fox said go with 1/4 wall tubing past the flywheel and trans area. The weight won't hurt you. The car and construction is really nice.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »
Please do not take my questions as in any way arguing the rule or trying to change/alter an exisiting rule. I am a very detailed person and was just embarrassed and caught by surprise when questioined about the steel tube my fuel line whet through,,, All I am trying to do is get a "answer" on what "wall thickness"  needs to be. (as the book did not specify) So I assumed that if roll cage tubing could be .095 to .134 thickness,  then fuel line running through 1/8 tube seemed OK..

Again, not to argue, I only seek clarification??

Now that it seems that 1/8 is not enough??  Can I just "shroud" the existing tubing with another piece of 1/8 material  to "total"  1/4" ???I have no problem adding more protection, I just do not want to undo what I have. I aslo want to get it "right"  the next time.
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 12:43:11 PM »
Glen and Rich,  I now think we are all on the same page.

I will get some "C" chanel of at least .125 and cover the existing tubing. That will give me 2 layers of protection totaling .250 and I will not have to alter my current  fuel line,,,

Since the entire chassis is already poweder coated, I did not want to do any more welding.  I hope you can see I try to do or get nice work done... I just feel stupid I used 1/8 material..  I can bolt the extra over the existing and that should work...

Thanks again for being so patient with a "new guy"  If I had not taken 18 years off from racing, maybe I would be a bit more up on this stuff..

One thing for sure, this site and forum is GREAT and has helpled me a bunch,,, I should have asked this question before I did the install.. oh well... 

I appreciate all the help, feedback and encouragement..  you guys are great... you too willie ..and everyone.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:46:29 PM by Cajun Kid »
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT