Author Topic: the 'best' motorcycle front wheel  (Read 18750 times)

bak189

Re: the 'best' motorcycle front wheel
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »
The Yamaha GTS 1000 is a exact copy of the QCS
built by Bakker Framebouw........and I mean exact!!!..............................................................................
Riding a bike with Hub-Center takes getting used to..........it is different.....but once you get
it.........it makes for a fast easy, fun, ride............

bak189

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
Hey, Bones can you post a picture of your LCR
front suspension?

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
This is confusing!
Given that some report an increase in MPH from a smaller tire, what is the reason?
Jonny Hotnuts comment about X-section is correct, and the John Player Norton demonstrated that a plug of still air created by the front wheel can be used to aero the front of the chassis.
Intuitively, it seems to me that a larger radius (tire section) would be an improvement in drag as to how it would disturb the air?
Is this less important than the extra rolling resistance of the contact patch?
If yes, that suggests that a really large diameter tire (= smaller "dent" in the salt) might be better.

Ratliff

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
This is confusing!
Given that some report an increase in MPH from a smaller tire, what is the reason?
Jonny Hotnuts comment about X-section is correct, and the John Player Norton demonstrated that a plug of still air created by the front wheel can be used to aero the front of the chassis.
Intuitively, it seems to me that a larger radius (tire section) would be an improvement in drag as to how it would disturb the air?
Is this less important than the extra rolling resistance of the contact patch?
If yes, that suggests that a really large diameter tire (= smaller "dent" in the salt) might be better.

Empirical experience has been that a tall thin tire with the proportions of a Frisbie has the least drag (but putting Moon disks on it still helps).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:12:53 PM by Ratliff »

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 03:15:59 PM »
In Willie's case he changed both the front wheel and sidecar wheel, so it could be that all his mph was improved from the decrease in frontal area of the sidecar wheel...and just as important it has less 'pumping' loss from the surface area of the tire dragging a layer of air along with it. Another big advantage of a fender is using it as a device to scrape off this layer of parasitic air mass(see pro stock drag racers here, been doing it awhile) . I think the siecar wheel for sure should be smaller and faired and have a air dam on the back to reduce pumping loss. The front as well should have the same, but not as important in the aero, but for sure in pumping loss. height of tire is more of an issue than width in my opinion, if you deal with pumping loss. All of the aero stuff isn't going to mater much if you use spokes...one step forward, two steps back kinda thing.

'WITH DISCS'...you think the disks could help direct airflow away from the inside of the wheel acting as a sort of 'disk' if you will? Most of the air is far outside that area at speed, but I haven't thought about that point that much, would lke to hear more opinoins on that one.

Hans

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »
no discs allowed in the motorcycle class except on the inside of the sidecar wheel   --willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 03:56:25 AM »
'disks' in meaning brake disks, in response to the second reply on thread. Nope, no wheel covers and solid wheel on rear only.

Offline bones

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 08:21:08 AM »
Bakk
      the LCR is similar to the E-S-Y Hook front end.Two paralel arms facing forward with a car type stub axle.I would use this instead of hubcenter if I was to make another one.I will get some help to post some pictures.
   cheers Bones
ps might be easier if I bring them with me    LOL