Author Topic: For and against water injection  (Read 42753 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: For and against water injection
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 12:01:20 PM »
Spambot?
It's those clever rejoinders that make these visits such fun. The fastest reaction is entirely composed of:
1. ignorance
2. personal ad hominem attack
That was so helpful, and contributes a great deal to the discussion.

sabat: please, remind me - exactly where did I copy this from, and to whom should it be attributed?

Offline jl222

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
my experience is the water injection only works in lower boost application..... now if your talking aircraft stuff yeah it would probably work in higher boost especially at altitude where their is no oxygen ... i feel it is a band aid... if your using it to slow burn race then your head squish and piston dome isn't right... if your using it to keep valves from stretching get a bigger stem size or a different supplier.... if your using it to fix a problem then fix the problem right... W I can have too many variables.... man up for the expensive stitches not the band aid.... let me add this, so yer only gonna get so much stuff past an intake port... so if you displace some of that air fuel area with 2 parts hydrogen than that's good right? humm.... don't you 4 stroke guys wanna run in the 12 to 13 AF range?  I mean fuel and oxygen makes the heat and heat is power so.... yeah yeah we can beat this dead horse around for a while..... black/white, Ford/Chevy, Yankees and Raiders still suck..... tonic water with my Gin please!
Kent

kent... read reply #16 and maybe you'll understand how to get more through an intake port. If increasing hp from 2000 to 3800
doesn't convince ya that water injection works... nothing will, and those test were done on earth at 60 psi boost.
 Low pressure only, how about 175 psig and 3 gal min. [ Turbochargers by Hugh Machinnes pg 118] 3 stage turbos and no room for intercoolers.
  The 222 engine would melt at 12...13 air fuel so a big NO.

JL222

P.S. better make that a double

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »
my experience is the water injection only works in lower boost application..... now if your talking aircraft stuff yeah it would probably work in higher boost especially at altitude where their is no oxygen ... i feel it is a band aid... if your using it to slow burn race then your head squish and piston dome isn't right... if your using it to keep valves from stretching get a bigger stem size or a different supplier.... if your using it to fix a problem then fix the problem right... W I can have too many variables.... man up for the expensive stitches not the band aid.... let me add this, so yer only gonna get so much stuff past an intake port... so if you displace some of that air fuel area with 2 parts hydrogen than that's good right? humm.... don't you 4 stroke guys wanna run in the 12 to 13 AF range?  I mean fuel and oxygen makes the heat and heat is power so.... yeah yeah we can beat this dead horse around for a while..... black/white, Ford/Chevy, Yankees and Raiders still suck..... tonic water with my Gin please!
Kent

kent... read reply #16 and maybe you'll understand how to get more through an intake port. If increasing hp from 2000 to 3800
doesn't convince ya that water injection works... nothing will, and those test were done on earth at 60 psi boost.
 Low pressure only, how about 175 psig and 3 gal min. [ Turbochargers by Hugh Machinnes pg 118] 3 stage turbos and no room for intercoolers.
  The 222 engine would melt at 12...13 air fuel so a big NO.

JL222

P.S. better make that a double

Really? How rich do you run that car and on what type of fuel(unless you don't want that publically known) ?
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline jl222

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

Fast-Evo... A8C ..118 octane  AF :-D  What AF you run?

JL222
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:17:02 PM by jl222 »

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »
I run in the high 11's to low 12's.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »
I'm going to try it on a blown Caddy flathead, with about 12lbs boost. I don;t have room for an intercooler, so this intrigues me. I'd be happy To provide with/without dyno results. I realize this is not on the same level as a lot of you guys, but they should be good, realistic, unbiased results.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline jl222

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm going to try it on a blown Caddy flathead, with about 12lbs boost. I don;t have room for an intercooler, so this intrigues me. I'd be happy To provide with/without dyno results. I realize this is not on the same level as a lot of you guys, but they should be good, realistic, unbiased results.

I've observed that roots blown engines [ on gas] with no intercooler or water injection don't go any faster than the unblown guys.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 10:52:09 PM »
Yep, I've noticed the same thing! Sometimes not as fast.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
I don't remember where the thread about alcohol in gasoline - and the potential need for removing said alky - is located.  If one of you would be so kind as to freshen my memory - I'll post the response that Rick Gold (ERC) sent along.  He discusses it in good detail and I'd like for all to be able to read it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
4 barrel Mike can find it. He finds everything.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »
4 barrel Mike can find it. He finds everything.

DW

Gee, thanks (I think  :roll: )

While on a very short coffee break, only finding slim pickings.  The most appropos is this ECTA forum thread (?) which I did NOT take time to read thoroughly: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,6531.0.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!