Author Topic: speed-o-light  (Read 10952 times)

Offline willieworld

speed-o-light
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »
i had some spare time today so i took a spare engine apart and cut the transmission off --ive decided to build a twin engine bike --my friend john bossie has a twin engine knucklehead drag bike that he used to race in the old days the bike is called THE THING his son dave has a twin engine evo drag bike that he is converting to a lakes racer--ive wanted to build a twin engine bike for a long time so here goes ---the first thig i did was cut the trans off of the front engine the rear engine will retain the transmission--the motors are xb9 buell motors 984 cc with a 3.50 bore and a 3.125 stroke the motors are built for buell by harley davidson and they are 02 and newer buell only no its not a sportster motor--any way im not sure what the bike will be other than it will have 2 motors that would put it in the 2000cc pushrod class --the record at boneville in a-pg and a-pf is 169and change --there are no sc-pg or sc-pf records at bonneville in the 2000cc class--any way there a lot of classes to run in --this will be a long term project and will be up and running by the may 09 race at el mirage if all goes well--if anyone has any suggestions they will be much appreciated   thanks  here are a few pics   willie buchta
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:43:32 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Re: speed-o-light
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »
some more pics
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:36:20 PM »
two more pics
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »
Willie I need to teach you how to do photobucket. You always post great stuff but the picture are a pain sometimes. If you want I can show you and it will only take a few minutes.

I will watch in anticipation to see what you do next. My question is what is your plan for a primary to couple the motors together? Also are you going to run carb or injection? If so what is the plan to sink the two motors together?

Is it true that if you have two motors and both are making 100 hp a piece and you dyno that you will not have 200 hp? Something more along the lines of 175 hp due to the motors being coupled.

Good job Willie - tell Sheri hello and that her records are not to far from happening.

Scott

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
Willie:

You're having way too much fun and this appears to be another one of those projects. It looks good already.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:52:19 PM »
Worse than him having fun doing something that hasn't been tried very much -- and making it up as he goes along -- and probably going to get a nice batch of records for his troubles ----

Worse still is that he'll probably do it all on a budget that wouldn't buy much more than a few tanks of gas at today's prices. 

Cool idea, Willie, and best of luck.  Thanks for posting your work here on the site -- and think about having Scott show you how to put stuff on photobucket.  It can save you some time as well as hassle.

Regards,
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bald1

• neald
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:47 PM »
Eleven months is a long term build?  You're some builder!
neald

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 12:40:16 AM »
thanks guys although its not much yet i have some ideas--one is to mount the engines in pairs in a rack so that a pair of engines could be swaped out in about an hour --an other is to keep the oil and gas supply and all electrical with the bike and not the motors with quick disconect fitings --all exhaust will stay with the motors--i will chain drive the motors together by unhooking the front motor i could run on the rear motor only in the 1000 cc class hook up the front motor 2000cc class --two 1200 cc motors 3000cc class unhook front one 1350 cc i think the combinations are almost endless then each cc class has 4 classes ( gas -fuel -blown gas-blown fuel) well you get the idea --by next may i will be 64 years old so you can see this will probibly be the last bike i will build for me to race--o these engines come in either 984 cc or 1203 cc the 984 is 3.50 x 3.125 the 1200 is 3.50 x 3.800 all of the parts interchange between the two motors
yes scott i could use a hand with fotobucket
     i havent decided what frame class to run in yet i will have to research the records if anyone has any suggestions i would be more than happy to listen i know i cant think of everything   thanks everyone  willie buchta       not sure about the hp and torque with 2 motors  any one out there know
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline hitz

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »
Willie,

Yes, you do know how to have fun! It takes a lot of thought to make things simple and clean and you've got the nack.

I hope you let us know how to synchronize those syncopated engines! Thanks for your time posting.

Scott,

Hope you put those instuctions for posting pictures somewhere where we all can all see it.

Harv
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 08:13:56 AM by hitz »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 01:33:50 AM »
harv while you are on the line answer me this --on my computer when i post a pic it comes out about 3 in x 3in  when i double click on it it gets bigger almost full screen but the quality isnt that great is that the way it is for you  thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:40:24 AM »
thanks guys although its not much yet i have some ideas--one is to mount the engines in pairs in a rack so that a pair of engines could be swaped out in about an hour --an other is to keep the oil and gas supply and all electrical with the bike and not the motors with quick disconect fitings --all exhaust will stay with the motors--i will chain drive the motors together by unhooking the front motor i could run on the rear motor only in the 1000 cc class hook up the front motor 2000cc class --two 1200 cc motors 3000cc class unhook front one 1350 cc i think the combinations are almost endless then each cc class has 4 classes ( gas -fuel -blown gas-blown fuel) well you get the idea --by next may i will be 64 years old so you can see this will probibly be the last bike i will build for me to race--o these engines come in either 984 cc or 1203 cc the 984 is 3.50 x 3.125 the 1200 is 3.50 x 3.800 all of the parts interchange between the two motors
yes scott i could use a hand with fotobucket
     i havent decided what frame class to run in yet i will have to research the records if anyone has any suggestions i would be more than happy to listen i know i cant think of everything   thanks everyone  willie buchta       not sure about the hp and torque with 2 motors  any one out there know

Willie,

PM sent, just an FYI

J

Offline hitz

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:19:29 AM »
willie, your asking the wrong guy. I haven't even been able to post off of photobucket. I have posted awhile back from my computer but that hasn't worked either lately.

maybe if you get the kb's up around 150 and 600X400 on the size it will help. Are you posting direct while in preview? Hope someone helps us both.

harv
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 08:31:06 AM by hitz »

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »
I like the way your brain works Willie, and the speed at which your hands do what your brain asks of them.
Photobucket is a piece of cake, once you load your photos into it, just right click the mouse on the IMG code (below the pic), and it tells you the code has been copied, then paste it into your message content (another right click)
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »
Will it is all cut and paste.........here are a few pictures from photobucket. The reason I mentioned photobucket to oyu is because you post a lot of good info in regards to your builds. It would be much easier to read and more beneficial if the pictures just came up like the ones below.

The othere great thing is you can type in between photos so you can describe what is going on in each photo. Willie I will send you my phone number, give me a call this evening and I will walk you through it, i have baby classes all day today so tonight is best. In the meantime sign up on photobucket.com and get an account ready.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »
Willie,
AGAIN!! Looks like way to much fun!! Obviously you have done your reasearch on the classes and you should end up with a ton of records!

There have been several discussions on multi motors on the forum but I do think that multi Harleys can have unique challenges. One suggestion would be to run both motors with big flywheels as it will help dampen the torque surges as each of the cylinders fire also allows you to run more agressive cams.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.