Author Topic: Diesel Truck Classification?  (Read 2604 times)

MCR

Diesel Truck Classification?
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »
In the 2008 SCTA rulebook it has a class called Diesel Truck:  5.F.4 page 79

What is a Diesel Truck?  The paragraph starts with -

"This class is intended to represent typical diesel pickup trucks ..."

But there are minitrucks in this class that aren't "typical diesel pickup trucks".  A typical American diesel pickup is a full sized truck.

So is this to be interpreted as any pickup?  Or is there a list of acceptable chassis to start with.

It is tied to Gas Coupe and Sedan instead of Pickup trucks in the rules, and another sentence states:  "... trucks entered herein are typical of street machines that may be purchased from any automobile dealer."  emphasis mine

So if the pickup could be easily bought at any auto dealer, whether or not it had diesel power from the factory, it can be a Diesel Truck for LSR competition?

The rules allow for any engine swap it appears as long as it can run event diesel.

John Romero

Re: Diesel Truck Classification?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:32:36 PM »
You should ask this on the scta web site. The "gatekeeper" who gets these all these requests and then forwards them to the appropriate person just happens to be a member of the truck committee and runs a diesel truck.

http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/Rule-QuestionForm.html

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »
A typical American diesel pickup is a full sized truck.

This class is limited up to and including one (1) ton vehicles.

That would include mini trucks, micro trucks . . .

To answer your question the rule book would have to list every possible combination of vehicle.

Instead they make it generic to say that they want an off-the-lot truck, not a custom built.

The gas coupe and sedan rule references are more about safety, modifications, and other things.

The engine is another matter. You would have to get clarification before you build, but I would think anything diesel you can shoehorn in it would be legal. I would think taking a gasoline engine out would be legal.

Again, if you are going to build, document the plan and submit it to Ed Whiteley the Truck Category/Pickup Classes Chair.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

MCR

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »
Thanks folk!

I will shoot off a letter to Mr. Whitely.

I pretty much just have to confirm you don't have to start with a Diesel Truck to run in Diesel Truck class, ie - that it is not intended to mimic a Production style class.  It would be a lot cheaper to start with a small vehicle.

MCR

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »
Answer was, any pickup can be used, including minitrucks even if they never had a diesel option.  But El Caminos and Rancheros are not allowed.