Author Topic: DRAG CHUTE ADVICE.  (Read 9621 times)

SALTRACER

DRAG CHUTE ADVICE.
« on: January 24, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »
Can anyone recomend a good drag chute?  Also, what size of chute 10' 12' or 14'? My car is a modified roadster that weighs about 2200- 2500 lbs.  I hope to run 200 plus in the future and would like to buy a chute with this in mind.  Any advice or coments will be welcomed.

Offline jimmy six

Re: DRAG CHUTE ADVICE.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »
You will tons of info here if the guys will write. My experience is to think smaller than you normally would. Most chute manufacturers think drags and a quick shut down. Use info from the manufactutrers who advertise with us. I currently use a choked down triform  7' to 8' with a roadster over 200 stops grear withouth breaking your neck. I own a 12' crossform Simpson I was advised not to use over 200 because it was too much chute.Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
As J.D. says, don't put too large a chute on it.  I watched a roadster at 2003 Speedweek pull the chute at the end of the short course swap ends so fast that he was still on the throttle going backwards.  One more thing, the longer the tag line, the better.............Bob
Bob Drury

Offline RICK

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 07:58:00 PM »
Most chute formulas ie. weight/speed, are for drag cars that have to stop in an extreme short distance. Too much chute will remind you that your belts are still on.

Also, I've found out that if my car gets loose and squirrlly, right before I scream "PLEASE JESUS" that if I PULL the chute, it pulls the car back into a straight line so I can keep it off the wall and get it stopped safely
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline ack

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »
I would call Bob Stroud at Stroud Safety Oklahoma City. Give him the weight and speed. Our chutes worked flawlessly last year. Were designed by Bob for 1.3 G's.

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »
SALTRACER - GIVE A CALL TO CHUTE METAL COMPANY IN CHATSWORTH, CA. (SO.CAL AREA) (818) 886-7396. GREAT CHUTE - HAVE USED ON MODIFIED ROADSTER TO 300 MPH STREAMLINER - TROUBLE FREE.  HASSEL FREE. TELL HIM WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. PAT

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
The 3 major suppliers all produce a good product suited to your application. Price and delivery are the things you can decide on.
 Using a chute from another vehicle is to invite problems because it may not be suited to your application.
 A wrong chute in dirty air that is attached at the wrong point can lift a vehicle and really surprize you.
 Once a chute has been used it is larger and tougher to pack until it is washed and dried.
 Many failures are caused by to tight a pack.
 Too many shroud lines and panels are more difficult to maintain and increase the failure rate.
 I know a guy with a surplus 16ft ring slot on a 200mph roadster and I think it backs up when he pulls the handle. That might not be the right combo.

<small>[ January 25, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »
Life is not all roses.
 Sean packed the chutes with the tail wrapped around the cable that formed the pits and had to do it again. He did a good job every time.
 I think Scott is pulling legs.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

wmtsmith

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
Bob Stroud in OKC got my vote and my money--as well as Burklands

ffstorer

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 11:46:00 PM »
I don't want to interupt the tread, nevertheless, a queston for Scott Guthire, what class were you running at 258mph  in 1020 cc car?

Fred

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »
Not to say it couldn't happen to any manufacturer but a friend of mine ran a new roadster at the World Finals and a new Stroud chute broke a line at 197 and he borrowed my 23 year old Chute Metal tri-form which worked just as good for him as it has for me.
 Take care of what you have or get and it will serve you well for many years. Good luck..J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DallasV

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
Had the same Deist on our roadster for 20+ years. No problems so far, and Deist has been making chutes for salt flats racers for a lot of years. We run a 10' crossform and I've opened it at 250 and my eyeballs never touched my visor so I give it a big thumbs up.

Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »
Bob Stroud's chutes are very good and his design with the baged canopy avoids the problem of having the chute partialy blossom before the slack is out of the lines .

SALTRACER

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice guys.  I have decided to use a deist chute and have one on the way. Good luck to everyone this year and be safe.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
We have two Deist chutes, a 16' cross form "Oh **** chute" and a little high speed chute that Jim designed for Al. Both have worked great every time. Don't like the big chute at 300+ but it sure does work when necessary.