Author Topic: Air Shifters???  (Read 7709 times)

Offline isiahstites

Air Shifters???
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:44:43 AM »
What are you guys running for air shifters on your motorcycles? I am trying to find something that works well and doesn't cost an arm and leg. I can build some of the components to keep cost down, however at the moment I do not know a whole lot about them.

I am running a Dyna 2000i ignition and I believe it has a wire for air shifting. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: Air Shifters???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:31:07 AM »
Scott, have you checked the adjustment of the ....... :roll:

You coulda at least have called me before I started this post... :mrgreen:

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

bak189

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
If you are running with a batt. get a Pingel elec. shifter.......it allows for up and down shifts....works great..................................................

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:33:24 PM »
Just curious.  :?

John N., do you run an air shifter?

Larry  :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
Just curious.  :?

John N., do you run an air shifter?

Larry  :-D

Never on a land speed bike, the idea benind it is that in LSR everything you do to get up to speed and back down safely is done slowly and methodically.  I do not like relying on another air/electric device to assist in getting me down the course, my foot has not failed even when I shift in to 7th gear now and then. :-D

Your results may vary.

J

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »
one more thing to go haywire   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Blue

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »
one more thing to go haywire   willie buchta
Yeah, why add a system unless you don't have the strength to shift it manually?

On my old 125cc enduro cart, my best friend installed a manual shifter "paddle" on the steering wheel.  His reasoning was that we had just as much strength in our fingers as we were using on the foot shift.  He was right.

Now, a larger engine may need more force, but figure out what this force is and try to do it manually before you go adding another potential system failure.

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
We started using a CO2 powered air shifter for the last 3 shifts because it allowed me to stay tighter in the pocket, and interupted the acceleration the least.  I still have the shift lever, and use it for deceleration, or for when the shifter runs out of air...lol
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
I use a home-made low pressure air shifter setup. I was full hot on using the air shifter with a kill box and my modded gear position sensor to auto shift clutchless.
I decided it would not be a good idea on the salt because any tire slippage could a spike in RPM and cause it to shift at the wrong time. I will admit that my current push button setup works great and I am using components that I often use in industrial environments with a very high reliability rate.

It just goes to show that what works for drag racing doesn’t always perform the same way on salt.

For my application I felt an air shifter would be better than a cable or linkage setup. The stock busa shifting would not work…so I had to use something. I would not use this IF it was on a salt bike......but my street busa could sure use one!!!!!!

Co2 shifter problem....food for thought:
 http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=129477.0

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:34:24 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

bak189

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
Like I said.....use a Pingel Elec. Shifter.........no
BIG BOOM....................................................................

Super Kaz

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »
Like I said.....use a Pingel Elec. Shifter.........no
BIG BOOM....................................................................

Sorry bak189,
but the electric shifters I've used Killed my Battery EVERY TIME!
It was a Hole shot Unit not a Pingel,but they both were too much of a Drain :x for my little HD Battery!
As a NHRA PSM Racer 2b,and AHDRA {I've Just got seat time for my Lic. for now :oops:}, but we used and still do use Nitrogen over Air, and regulate it down to 140lbs.

If it's good enough for Chipp Ellis,and Matt Smith I'd say it's OK FOR U????? :?

I only use the clutch to take off then Blip the Throttle for clutch-less up shifts,but I've Only gone 201mph :wink:.

I might Not be The Worlds Fastest{YET :-o},but if my LSR Bike Hero's like J/N & J/McV Don't have them why should I :|?

Just a  word of advice "Stay AWAY from the electric stuff " just a little advice from a Wanna Be :cry:",but your free to waste your Money as you Like?

Since this could be Money Used for Diaper's,and New Baby Supplies I'll SELL YOU MY OLD 1 FOR $75.00+ Shipping{it was closer to $400 brand new ,and was only used on the dyno} if you want to try? :mrgreen:
PM me if you like.
Thanks,
S/K.............

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:06:54 AM »
We use co2/air on most of our bikes, but no experience with them on dirt or salt yet.

I'll SELL YOU MY OLD 1 FOR $75.00+ Shipping{it was closer to $400 brand new ,and was only used on the dyno}

If Scott doesn't want it Kaz, I'll take it. Will contact you later, have to get out to the track. Give me paypal info and amount shipped to 22405.
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »
Deb - I sent him a PM I am interested. Good luck at Maxton today and if you see an old guy with a long and low BMW that is painted silver tell him I said hello.........his name is Randy.

Scott

We use co2/air on most of our bikes, but no experience with them on dirt or salt yet.

I'll SELL YOU MY OLD 1 FOR $75.00+ Shipping{it was closer to $400 brand new ,and was only used on the dyno}

If Scott doesn't want it Kaz, I'll take it. Will contact you later, have to get out to the track. Give me paypal info and amount shipped to 22405.
Deb