Author Topic: fuel injection at Bonneville  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Bryan Long

• New folks
fuel injection at Bonneville
« on: January 22, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »
I am a relative newcomer to competition at Bonneville, involved with the #1149 B/STR. I was under the impression that electronic fuel injection is not permitted, but after a closer look at the rules, it appears that it is. I have seen a lot of competitors using mechanical fuel injection, but do not recall seeing electronic. If I am correct in my observations, can anybody suggest why there is little or no use of EFI?

Offline fwillyj

Re: fuel injection at Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »
-in the 2004 rule book, page 6 starts the general requirements.
 -on the bottom of page 19 it says computers are allowed, then on the top of page 20 it states except in vintage and classic classes.
 -on page 45 VINTAGE CATEGORY 2nd paragraph it states that roadsters are included in vintage catagory.

<small>[ January 22, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: fwillyj ]</small>

John Beckett

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »
It?s spelled out in Classic "No EFI", but in Vintage or Modified I believe EFI it?s only restricted when running a Vintage engine.

A lot of people don?t run EFI because it isn?t cheep (compared to carburetion) and many of us old timers don?t relate well to computers.

JB

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
It is used all the time in classes allowed. And it is a good idea. I have tuned a lot of cars that run it along with a bike or two satrating in the early 90's. Would not do it any other way.
 Dave

John Beckett

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Agreed, electronics are the best way to go. Just a tall learning curve for many. My next home grown engine will have EFI.

JB

Offline Bryan Long

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 11:08:00 PM »
Thanks, guys. After taking a further look, my interpretation would be the same as John Beckett - since we are not running a vintage engine in our B/STR, we would be permitted to use EFI. Not sure if we will, but at least its an option. I also like the idea for the more flexible and easier tuning. I have developed an EFI system for a street rod based on GM junk yard parts, and it works well.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 07:51:00 AM »
If the learning curve is too tall.. just remmber to ask your questions and i will do what i can to help. I have in the past and will do so in the future. It is the business I am in and do have discounts for LSR guys and do support the stuff on the salt...

Dave