Author Topic: Ballast Question  (Read 10728 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Ballast Question
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »
I saw it.  Now what am I going to say that would be appropriate and not get me into trouble  :) .

I'll probably do the same thing in a year or so.  Once I was leading a motorcycle race by a good bit and coming to the checkers I came out of a dip and decided to show off a little and wheelie across the finish line.  Well the bike came up further than planned I came off but still held on to the handle bars and got it down and across the finish line running along side of it.  Quite embarassing   :(  .

Well anyway glad you shared that with us and you can see that once the rear got loose the spool really hurt you.

c ya, Sum

Ken Walkey

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005, 03:05:00 AM »
A couple of things you might consider with a Stude. The body is basically an airfoil, they have been known to suck out the rear window. You can duct air from underneath and dump it out at the base of the rear window on each side. Second, you might make up two struts the same length as your shocks (at rest), remove the shocks, install the struts for an unsprung setup. This keeps the body from swaying on those buggy springs at high speed. Try it, you'll like it. Good luck for a stable ride.

Offline Bob Ragsdale

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm Bob Ragsdale (#745 CBGAlt.)  I run a 53 Stude. that weights in approx. 2800 lbs dry.  I have added enough weight with water, oil, fuel,  ballist plus driver to gross approx. 4,000 lbs.  I have equal weight approx. 1,000 lbs on all four corners.  This setup has put me in the 2 club as well as top speed of 230+.  It goes straight, handles as well as could be expected.  No spin outs with this setup.  Hope this helps you.
 Bob

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
The only comment I have to add is what Mike Cook told me about Ballast with the Modified sports car Vs the Camaro... it worked so it has merit..

That is that every car is a bit different and each requires it's own set of parameters for Ballast....  

You start running ballast as soon as you need it...  in other words when the tires start spinning you start adding ballast... where you add it depends on the car.

My Camaro loves the 50/50 situation where the Berkeley runs 65% on the rear wheels...  

I guess if you have the ballast provisions and time to test it all out you can come up with the right set up for your car... just remember not all studes are built the same...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »
Hi Ken, Bob and Keith.  We just wanted to thank you guys for the input and let you know we are reading it.  Hooley has added some attachment spots for ballast and we will take some this year and use it if the need arises.

Bob I guess Hooley isn't too far from you in OK.  He is up in Chelsea.

Thanks again for all of you who have contibuted to this post.

c ya, Sum

Finally Lakester Construction Has
 Begun