Author Topic: Security at Maxton  (Read 4470 times)

Offline 2stroke

• New folks
Security at Maxton
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »
As a low buck racer (I work at a bike shop, fun, but not much pay), I have an open trailer to haul my machines.  Most of my racing has been a one day affair, so my trailer has worked OK.  My plan is to attend the Sept. and/or Oct. events and I wondered if there is a safe spot to stash my stuff when not at the Maxton facility.  Is there much theft or vandalism to worry about?  If need be, I'll rent a U-Haul trailer for this year with the hope of finding a small enclosed unit for 2009.  Any advise would be appreciated and my thanks to all for your help. 

Offline wolcottjl

Re: Security at Maxton
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:51:29 AM »
I haven't heard of any theft or vandalism at Maxton.  There has been quite of bit of commentary about how safe Maxton is.  Quite a few people camp at the track both in tents and motorhomes.  I have left my stuff there at a few meets last year including tool boxes out in the open without anything being touched.  I try to at least lock up my tool boxes, not becuase of the fear of it being stolen but the fear of it being borrowed :) and then needing it myself.  LOL
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »
Quite a few folks camp at the track.  And it's an unwritten but widely observed rule that nobody touches anyone else's goodies at all -- excepting for the stuff of new folks, which is wide open and everyone is welcome to help himself.  Sometimes it helps if you post a complete list of what you'll be bringing so that we can choose in advance who gets what.

Okay, seriously -- this is a pretty common question -- asked once or more times before each Maxton event.  Many people do camp at the track, and that alone improves security to the point that you shouldn't be too concerned about leaving your stuff there overnight (or while you're down at the start line).  amenities include a water  spigot that's LABELED "potable", but I'm not sure that it really is safe to drink, a food vendor that's there all day Saturday and Sunday (might be on Friday afternoon, too -- I forget), a good supply of fire ants, pretty much unlimited camping/pit area, and all the help you could possibly want.  There are porta-potties here and there around the entire place. 

Consider bringing a sunshield (although this isn't as vital in Sept/Oct as it will be next week) and maybe some bug spray -- and sunscreen for sure.  Finally for now -- if you can get there for the June event -- without a bike -- it's a grand idea to spectate and get an idea of what you'll find when you're there to compete.  We look forward to seeing you soon, either way.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »
Yeah, what they said! We often share our pit space for overnight bike parking for those that come down with their bike in a pickup truck. Throw a tarp over it & its fine. If you have anything in particular that you're worried about you can often find a new friend with an enclosed trailer that will lock your goodies up for the night. Find someone camping at the track & park your bike in their pit for the night. They’re all good options for peace of mind.

Take the usual precautions but for sure don't stress over it!  8-)

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
I leave my stuff there every night.  The strolling pit police and and camper cops watch everything.  BUT...just because it's never happened yet, doesn't mean it can't.
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »
I leave my rig at the track because I know it is safer there than it it is at the hotel where I stay. 
ECTA 200 Club

Offline kspz3

• http://www.vrodracing.com
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »
MAxton is a safe as it gets........ folks there are likely to give you stuff if you need it - but take stuff - nah - great folks - this is a top teir racing community - I leave my stuff there over night - and never lock stuff up when I am gone.... and I have been the recipient of the giving stuff when I was caught short on some things..... you won't find a better group of racers anywhere.

Kevin

Offline 2stroke

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:31:31 PM »
Thank you all, I appreciate the info.  I am REALLY looking forward to attending at least one event this year.

Offline White Monster

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »
Also keep in mind that the September meet will have a lot of people there for the Super Streetbike magazine Top Speed Shootout competition, that don't usually come to Maxton and are not necessarily Land Speed racers.
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 04:18:12 PM »
I have to agree with the majority of posts here. I have met nothing but the finest people at Maxton last year, and hope to see more of them this October.  From Steve VanBlarkom with the Thacker & Shine Roadster #1946 - and Jim Hanson and the Maine Barons Racing group with the Sam Samson Coupe #1034 - to the entire Snart group and their very cool GSXL stretched gixer frame with a barn stormin Sportster motor in it. Dennis "the menace" Copley, Jon Ammo, Keith , Deb & Tod , Donna, i could go on and on.- All have been a shining example of the LSR community. Sure you may find a rotten apple in a big barrel, but most all of these folks would put an instant stop to any wrong doing.
Go to Maxton - have some fun - go fast & stop safe.

Jimbo    :cheers:
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »
Jimbo, I would have to agree.. Maxton folks RULE.....

See you in later this month?
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com