Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255359 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7590 on: September 24, 2019, 06:48:00 AM »
John, he was still at Dave Strong Porsche last I heard. 50+ years now, I believe. He and his son Bonner run M squared karting locally. Larry's wife passed away a few years ago. When he ran the Turner, the machine shop I worked at sponsored him. Darwin Christensen was also a good friend. He passed away a while ago.

Mike H is still in contact with Larry, and has confirmed that he is karting locally in/near SLC.

I spoke with Larry once at the Runoffs at Road Atlanta.   Mike's car had more top speed down the back straight, and Larry was wanting the top end power.   I offered him a "semi-sponsorship" deal, which was the best my small company could do at the time.    He opted to stay with his local supporters and I have a lot of respect for his decision.    He didn't win that year, he was "bunted" off by an idiot "going for the win", on one of the early laps . . . . . .

:cheers:
F/b
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #7591 on: September 24, 2019, 08:50:25 AM »
AJR192:

I checked on some of my old buds from the valley and found that some have indeed, passed on. Dave Mott, John Holmes (my shop forman and eventual owner of my shop) and Darwin have all passed. All three were great guys and will be missed. Good to hear Larry is still around. He also has a beautiful 1967 911S. Hope he kept it.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #7592 on: September 24, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
FB:

When Mike speaks to Larry next, please have him pass along a warm hello for me. Hope he remembers. It has been a long, long time ago.

TIA,
John

Offline AJR192

« Reply #7593 on: September 25, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
John, John Holm was always a good guy to be around. He started at Aero Machine working for Whity Wysong. I worked at Temples' Maschine for several tears. Mike Temples also passed away last year. What shop was yours?
 It can sure be a small world sometimes.

Offline ggl205

« Reply #7594 on: September 25, 2019, 10:24:31 PM »
AJR192:

My shop was called Sweetwater Machine located in Sandy. Specialized in foreign car engines until John Holm purchased it. John changed the mix mostly to domestic.

John
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:29:28 PM by ggl205 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7595 on: September 27, 2019, 08:56:16 AM »
For fans of other orphan British specialty transportation, I submit this example for your perusal . . . . .

Mike Hart's Turner, at speed, track unknown, date unknown.

This photo shows the car in its' pre-Road America accident roll bar configuration:

A/  Offside main diagonal  (dumbass idea of Mike's, for more "headroom" . . . )
2/  No side bars to prevent "intrusion"
d/  Bends in rear support bars   (again, for more "headroom")

Designed and constructed by the "occupant", ie: "guinea pig".

I doubt if that roll bar configuration would pass an SCTA or NHRA roll cage inspection . . . . .

:cheers:  :dhorse:
F/b

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Online jacksoni

« Reply #7596 on: September 27, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
I remember the  "roll bars" from my dune buggy autocross days. Make that one look good!!  :cheers:

Thanks, had never seen a Turner. And glad to hear the bars have been improved......
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7597 on: November 06, 2019, 07:28:48 AM »
midget,

WOW!

Closing in on 2 MILLION views of this thread . . . . . .  (who would have thought THAT was possible? ? ? )

Kinda scary . . .

I guess I need to find something "better" to do with my "free time" . . . . .

:cheers:  :dhorse:  :cheers:
F/b

Offline ggl205

« Reply #7598 on: November 06, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »
AJR192:

I remember Whitey. He taught me and almost everyone else in SLC how to grind cranks. He was quite a thinker and innovator, just like Dave Mott. It was his weakness too. He took in too many ?interesting? jobs where there was no hope of them being profitable. Great guy, though.

John

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7599 on: November 12, 2019, 08:39:56 AM »
Well OK, I guess I need to keep pounding this "nail" . . . . . .

Once again, down the same rabbit hole . . . . . .

Well, I confess: I'm getting tired of a being a "racing engine coroner". . . 

"It's like deja vu, all over again." Yogi Berra

I've seen a few cams lately that did not die . . . . They were killed. Absolutely a case of "murder" by their well intentioned builders/owners. MOST Vintage and Historic racing engines use flat tappet camshafts. It is just what was used "back in the day". These items require different lubrication and "bed-in" Vs modern roller tappet camshafts. A LOT DIFFERENT. Read this ad from Driven Performance, published in the January 2015 issue of Engine Builder magazine.

If you are having problems with cam/tappet failure, let me know and I'll post my procedure to resolve these issues. Be aware though, that it IS NOT a simple procedure and your particular problem MIGHT require a more complicated "fix".

BTW, Joe Gibbs/Driven is what I use and recommend for most flat tappet camshaft engines. YES, it IS expensive.

BUT, what is your cost for a new cam and tappets? And what is your cost for the other, inevitable engine damage that occurs when your camshaft fails?

It's your choice . . . . . . but it's kinda like the old Fram filters commercial: "You can pay someone now, or you can pay someone later."

:cheers:  :dhorse:  :cheers:
Coronerboy

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7600 on: November 15, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »
Fordboy,

I have a Norton 750 Commando motorcycle with a Combat motor. I am using Mobil 1 0-50 W Racing Synthetic motor oil in it. I think it has plenty of zinc and wear protection in the oil for the cam followers.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7601 on: November 15, 2019, 09:06:58 PM »
Tom? 0w anything in an old Norton? is it self draining and you just put it back in when you want to ride it?
OK just kidding, I use Full Synthetic Diesel oil in the bike motors...
But we digress....
How's that Midget doing.... both of you... car and driver  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ggl205

« Reply #7602 on: November 15, 2019, 09:29:48 PM »
Shell Rotella used to be the best oil for diesel and gas engines. I think it has been replaced by Rotella T6 full synthetic but not sure. I use Joe Gibbs brake in racing oil for new street high performance engines, then switch to one of three Gibbs racing oils depending on engine use. The AERA publication Engine Professional has written extensively on racing oils in the past. I believe they still archive all past publications.

John

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7603 on: November 16, 2019, 09:41:28 PM »
Stainless and John,

Thanks for the input on the subject. Reason I am using this oil is I have lots of it, and the Norton is old enough that it has no smog related parts that can get hurt by having too much zinc or other additives that will kill catalytic converters. And even though it is 0W-50 it pours like 20 weight not water. And I warm the bike up before riding.

Thanks again,

Tom G.

Back to Midget talk.   
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 64Midget

• New folks
« Reply #7604 on: January 29, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »
Chris
its been awhile since you have posted any thing on the midget hope all is well with you and looking forward to this year
Bud  :cheers: