Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255655 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7545 on: April 21, 2019, 07:23:15 AM »
POSITIVE WAVES MAN!!    (notice that I did that in the closest colour I could get to British Racing Green . . . .)

On this day of religious resurrection, perhaps there can be resurrection, and redemption, for you as well . . . . . .

Well, we are all wondering how you are progressing.    And if you are feeling up to it, there is supposed to be "decent" weather this week in the "region", even the "Door" and "der U.P."

Has the Nissan arrived yet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

:cheers:
NotsurewhatIamanymoreboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7546 on: April 23, 2019, 09:29:38 AM »

Has the Nissan arrived yet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Indeed it has -

A New Frontier by Chris Conrad, on Flickr

I really like it, and it's so nondescript.  It's got that "fleet vehicle" look to it, but with upgraded wheels.

The bedliner, tonneau and trailer hitch should be in this week, after which, it will be complete.

But I have had a warranty issue.

Something either under the dash or toward the back of the engine bay is clanking when I make a turn.  At first, I thought it might be the prop-rod for the hood, but I wedged a paper towel between it and the sill and the noise continued.

Normally, I'd have done more extensive diagnostics on it, but this things got a NEW CAR WARRANTY, which means all I'm doing is making a wager with the mechanic that somebody on the assembly line in Mississippi left a tool in there.

We'll see what he fishes out this afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:38:23 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7547 on: April 23, 2019, 10:01:08 AM »
Sounds like a dislodged domaflogie with some fore & aft saffoam. If they can re-calibrate the lateral leviation it should be just fine!  :-o :-D :cheers:
Make sure it's not this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7548 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »
I had all the motor mount bolts come out of a Jeep Cherokee a while back within few hundred miles of new. Engine flopping around a bit. ;) Lots of options here, as Woody says. :evil:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Podunk

« Reply #7549 on: April 23, 2019, 12:14:54 PM »
Does Lucas supply anything to Nissan?

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #7550 on: April 23, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »
Have you finalized which class you're going to run?
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7551 on: April 23, 2019, 09:13:58 PM »
There is no finalization... he is only legal in one class.... I/MGT according to the new rules...
I hope they gave the initial record in I/MGT class to the current I/GT record holder and gave the I/GT record back to the Midget.  I guess we will know when we get the record books.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Hoody

« Reply #7552 on: April 24, 2019, 03:48:33 AM »
I had all the motor mount bolts come out of a Jeep Cherokee a while back within few hundred miles of new. Engine flopping around a bit. ;) Lots of options here, as Woody says. :evil:

Few years back i bought a new Turbo Diesel Nissan Micra. Less than a year into ownership the steering wheel pulled off of the splines of the steering column whilst i was driving down the motorway....  Turned out the nut hadn't been torqued down.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7553 on: April 24, 2019, 09:35:13 AM »
There is no finalization... he is only legal in one class.... I/MGT according to the new rules...
I hope they gave the initial record in I/MGT class to the current I/GT record holder and gave the I/GT record back to the Midget.  I guess we will know when we get the record books.  :cheers:

Here's what they've posted for records:

Unblown Grand Touring Sports - /GT
B Duffin Brothers Ro. Duffin 9 /11 236.937
C Jan Berry Motorsports Ru. Duffin 8 /08 230.545
D SS & PF Racing C. Filler 9 /18 235.272
E P.O.P. Motorsports G. W. Phillips 8 /06 190.156
F RGS Motorsports R. Sirna 8 /16 190.759
G Team Siegel L. Siegel 8 /11 165.296
H Grey Beard Racing P. Swanson 8 /03 145.760

And it stops at "H".

The new records for the new category read as follows:

Modified Grand Touring Sports - /MGT
AA The Moore Boys B. Moore 8 /04 268.298
A The Moore Boys B. Moore 8 /06 253.632
I Saab Story T. Donney 9 /18 127.660
J Saab Story T. Donney 9 /17 123.765

So both of Tom's records migrated, but he is running an engine swap.  I've talked with him, and he's cool with it.

But under this logic, I'm not sure why the Midget was pulled - I don't think a short stroke A Series constitutes and "engine swap",  especially when the block itself was the one that came with the car when I purchased it.

Does production not permit the swapping of crankshafts?

I could argue that the Midget was about the closest to a "stock" specification on any car in GT.  

So do I become the whiny guy from Wisconsin bitchin' about a lost record?

On December 17, Dan said:

Chris,

Records will follow the car. A car that is a current GT record holder but now does not qualify due to an engine swap will become the new *IGT record holder.

DW

* By "IGT", Dan was referring to what has now become "MGT" - the class name hadn't been determined at that point.

My response was this:

So Dan - how does the rule committee propose to investigate who ran what motor in any given year a record was set?

Think about this -

Tom Donney took the I-GT record at WOS this year.  He did it with a swapped engine.

I had the record before with a destroked stock engine.

What you're proposing would imply that Tom would now have the record in a class he didn't run in or build for, lose a record he legally won, and I would get my record back?

Is there a precedent for this?

Dan, I really think this sounds like a worm can.

Dan got back to me the next day:

Chris,

The class you refer to didn't exist at the time the WoS was run, still doesn't. It is a simple matter of calling upon the collective memory of the LSR community to determine the status of the current GT record holders.

We are here to help you, trust us.

DW

So I guess I need to become that Whiny guy from Wisconsin bitchin' about a lost record . . .

Which is not what any of us wanted . . .

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:46:09 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
« Reply #7554 on: April 24, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »
my dad had an auto repair business all his life, as a kid,thats were I was spent all my time. this was in the early sixties, I was about eight years old , he had a customer complaining of a thunking noise in the rear of there car. only on turns. my dad and his buddies couldn't find it. so they put me in the trunk,to see if I could pinpoint the noise. closed the lid , and took a drive around the block--me in the trunk-- big trunks in those days. I did find it. this was a new car. trunks in those days had that thin pressed wood, cardboard liner type material in the fender wells. someone took an empty coke bottle, tied a string to the neck and hung it between the liner and the fender  from the metal tang that held the panels in place. so every time you went around a turn it would swing out and  thunk the liner or fender. I was a hero , got to go for a ride in my dads buddies bucket T to get hamburgers and fries for the guys in the shop.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7555 on: April 24, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
Midget, write the SCTA Board a nice letter telling them you feel slighted by their omission of your record.  Since yours is the only legitimate (as of now) I/GT record since 1979.  By the way that is when a Bug Eye Sprite owned it at 92ish.  I think everyone since then had a swap.
Outside engine architecture determines swap, not inside.

Maybe it was just a typo  :roll:  or you are not from California  :-o  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7556 on: April 24, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »
I hope they gave the initial record in I/MGT class to the current I/GT record holder and gave the I/GT record back to the Midget.  I guess we will know when we get the record books.  :cheers:

Here's what they've posted for records:

Unblown Grand Touring Sports - /GT
B Duffin Brothers Ro. Duffin 9 /11 236.937
C Jan Berry Motorsports Ru. Duffin 8 /08 230.545
D SS & PF Racing C. Filler 9 /18 235.272
E P.O.P. Motorsports G. W. Phillips 8 /06 190.156
F RGS Motorsports R. Sirna 8 /16 190.759
G Team Siegel L. Siegel 8 /11 165.296
H Grey Beard Racing P. Swanson 8 /03 145.760

And it stops at "H".

The new records for the new category read as follows:

Modified Grand Touring Sports - /MGT
AA The Moore Boys B. Moore 8 /04 268.298
A The Moore Boys B. Moore 8 /06 253.632
I Saab Story T. Donney 9 /18 127.660
J Saab Story T. Donney 9 /17 123.765

So both of Tom's records migrated, but he is running an engine swap.  I've talked with him, and he's cool with it.

But under this logic, I'm not sure why the Midget was pulled - I don't think a short stroke A Series constitutes and "engine swap",  especially when the block itself was the one that came with the car when I purchased it.

Does production not permit the swapping of crankshafts?

I could argue that the Midget was about the closest to a "stock" specification on any car in GT.  

So do I become the whiny guy from Wisconsin bitchin' about a lost record?

On December 17, Dan said:

Chris,

Records will follow the car. A car that is a current GT record holder but now does not qualify due to an engine swap will become the new *IGT record holder.

DW

* By "IGT", Dan was referring to what has now become "MGT" - the class name hadn't been determined at that point.

My response was this:

So Dan - how does the rule committee propose to investigate who ran what motor in any given year a record was set?

Think about this -

Tom Donney took the I-GT record at WOS this year.  He did it with a swapped engine.

I had the record before with a destroked stock engine.

What you're proposing would imply that Tom would now have the record in a class he didn't run in or build for, lose a record he legally won, and I would get my record back?

Is there a precedent for this?

Dan, I really think this sounds like a worm can.

Dan got back to me the next day:

Chris,

The class you refer to didn't exist at the time the WoS was run, still doesn't. It is a simple matter of calling upon the collective memory of the LSR community to determine the status of the current GT record holders.

We are here to help you, trust us.

DW

So I guess I need to become that Whiny guy from Wisconsin bitchin' about a lost record . . .

Which is not what any of us wanted . . .

Chris, I sent you an email requesting you to look over the records (I sent them with the email).
I understand now that you had other issues to deal with at that time.
No one is trying to leave anyone out of their legitimate records, so please send either Keith Copland or myself the information you have so we may make any corrections necessary to the rule book.   
Thanks,
Hope you are doing better.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7557 on: April 24, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »
Midget, write the SCTA Board a nice letter telling them you feel slighted by their omission of your record. 

I'll follow through with that - probably the best.

Mike, thanks - yeah, I was a bit "out of the loop" there for a while.

I suspect the "collective mind of the LSR community" that Dan speaks of can back up any claim I've got.

You'd have a tough time finding another LSR car with 500+ pages of continuous documentation . . .

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7558 on: April 25, 2019, 01:05:10 AM »
Reply #7554... ??? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #7559 on: April 25, 2019, 04:27:35 AM »
Jack, I am assuming #7554 (nasty tin can by assembly worker noises) relates to #7546 Nissan pickup truck noises and not MG whine which the thread jumped to in between (and I meant that in the nicest possible way - my Mk1 had a slight whine in first).  :-)

I think it is cool that the Midget took the record from a Frog Eye.

It makes me think I want a Midget with the hard top  / coupe body kit and a modern motor with all the Frontline suspension mods as a daily driver. It's a shame Datsun / Nissan don't make the small boxy saloon anymore - that was a compact 4 cylinder rear wheel drive and a great conversion for a Morry Minor, would be ideal for a Spridget - put telescopic shocks on a Morry with that running gear and nothing modern (okay, I am thinking 1977 here) could touch one.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.