Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3265999 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7515 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26:12 AM »
Chris,
A FYI  https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/saab-sonnett-bonneville-record-holder/

Nick

Way to go Tom Donney!!

Hoping to see at least 3 cars in I/GT @ SpeedWeek 2019.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ProjectROTM

« Reply #7516 on: February 22, 2019, 08:10:40 AM »
Hi Milwaukee Midget & Fordboy,

Do you have any updates for us? I have been following this build for years as a guest and have finally joined the forum now that I have my own project.

Did you ever sell the A series engine? I would have thought it would have made a great formula junior motor or something similar.

Cheers,

Christian

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7517 on: February 24, 2019, 08:31:56 AM »
Hi Milwaukee Midget & Fordboy,

Do you have any updates for us? I have been following this build for years as a guest and have finally joined the forum now that I have my own project.

Did you ever sell the A series engine? I would have thought it would have made a great formula junior motor or something similar.

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Christian,

We are sorta/kinda on hiatus for the moment, for a variety of reasons, one of which is the proposed rules changes to the GT classes.   I'm out of the information loop, and am waiting to hear from Chris, what, (if anything) is changing.

Your idea that the "Grenade" would have made a good Formula Junior engine occurred to us and it was advertised on Len Selby's Historic site.   It was offered as suitable for F/Jr and also Historic 1 litre sedan/saloon/etc where it was even more suitable.   But alas, there were only "tire kickers", and no serious buyer materialized.    In fact, the only serious inquiry opted out at the last moment, and then spent more than TWICE the negotiated price for a new unit, built up by SwifTune.    It's tough to argue with that choice, but it was quite disappointing on how it turned out.    Chris became frustrated with the sale process and the engine was sold as individual parts and sub-assemblies on ebay, in order to "jump start" the purchase of the requisite parts for the K16 project.   Some of the bits may still be available, but I am not sure about that.

I know that we are both "disappointed" to have not posted more frequently.   But sometimes, well, life intrudes on racing.

Check my Facebook page to see what I've been up to.

:dhorse:  :cheers:  :dhorse:
Anotheryearolderboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7518 on: February 24, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

Well, it looks like the deal is done, and the GT rules incorporate a new class, Modified Grand Touring Sport.

The relevant rules section:

This is a completely new section behind 5.D.4 All in Bold
5.D.4.a Modified Grand Touring Sport (Gas Only)
This class is intended for series production sports cars which have been modified to such an
extent to make them illegal for the production (GT) class and limited production sports car type
bodies such as Kellison, Devin, Victress, Bradley and Sterling which may be placed on a
production or specially constructed frame. This class is limited to production and limited
production (a minimum of 50 produced) of the same model for sale to the general public. No
“One of a Kind” type bodies will be permitted.
One of the following modifications shall be done to be considered in this class:
1. The addition of a belly pan
2. A quick change rear end
3. An engine swap
4. A front-wheel drive vehicle converted to rear-wheel drive or a rear wheel drive vehicle
converted to a front wheel drive.

Production sports cars with an engine swap (4.N) will be legal for the class. Blowers may be
used.

A GT Sports body may not be altered in height, width, length or contour. The wheel base shall
not be altered. All body panels shall be mounted in the original relationship to each other.
Factory soft top or open convertible windshields may be lowered or removed. Tonneau covers
(2.O) are allowed.
Any frame may be used as long as the bottom line of the frame is not higher than the outer
bottom line of the body between the firewall and the rear wheels. An exception will be made if a
stock frame and the same year/make of body are being used. If the ORIGINAL frame/body
relationship is such that the lower bottom line of the frame is above the outer bottom line of the
body, that frame/body combination may be used. The burden of proof of the ORIGINAL
frame/body relationship lies with the entrant. The frame may not be exposed from the bottom of
the body.
Any type rear-end differential may be used.
No change can be made to the driver's location as originally designed and the driver is seated
behind the engine except in the case of production sports car type bodies which were designed
and intended for rear engine usage. The driver must not be restricted from entrance or exit from
the vehicle by moving the cockpit covering.
Bumpers, grilles and front lights may be removed and the opening created may be filled or
covered. The filled or covered area may be flush with the adjacent body; the basic shape and
contour of the vehicle cannot be changed. Aftermarket front ends are allowed as long as they
conform to the class guidelines.
Blocking the airflow thru the radiator in front or behind is not allowed.
No streamlining, as described in Section 4.CC, is allowed, unless specified. Wheel wells may not
be filled or covered. Wheel well openings may be radiused for tire clearance. No taped or filled
body, door or window seams are allowed from the firewall back. Windows shall be mounted in
the stock fashion or fastened to the inside of the window openings. Minor chrome trim and
emblems may be removed.

The following items are permitted: Air dams and Splitters (4.CC.1). Skirts (4.CC.7) A non-stock
Spoiler (4.CC.8 )
Any type of exhaust may be used, except no individual stacks are allowed, and can exit
anywhere from the body but the roof, top of front fenders or hood.
Roof-mounted spoilers, other than original for the body used, are prohibited.
The driver shall sit completely ahead of the rear axle, inside the body, and behind the engine,
except in rear-engine cars using the original engine LOCATION. Drip rails may be removed or
filled.

The following items are required: a starter capable of actually starting the engine, tail/stop lights,
a full transmission, either manual or automatic utilizing the full shift pattern and gears, a radiator
of the same dimensions or larger as originally equipped.

The following items are not permitted: air vents, headlight air scoops, blocked off radiator,
taping of body or window seams, non-stock head rest fairings, trip fences, or vortex generators.

Cars in this class are considered in the Modified Category and should comply with the General
Rules of the category.

Engine classes allowed are: AA, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J

Just how this is going to impact the Milwaukee Midget's racing plans is hard to say at this point.    These types of rule changes have a dramatic impact.

:dhorse:
Disappointedboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7519 on: February 26, 2019, 03:26:38 AM »
Here is a link to Gary Gray's FaceBook page, which has some more information about what has happened in I/GT and the new I/MGT.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.gray.9828/posts/2419449534795287?comment_id=2562906990449540&reply_comment_id=2568123116594594&notif_id=1551124685318346&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

You might need a FB account to view the thread, and you will certainly have to expand some of the replies to see all the comments.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7520 on: February 26, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
Here is a link to Gary Gray's FaceBook page, which has some more information about what has happened in I/GT and the new I/MGT.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.gray.9828/posts/2419449534795287?comment_id=2562906990449540&reply_comment_id=2568123116594594&notif_id=1551124685318346&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

You might need a FB account to view the thread, and you will certainly have to expand some of the replies to see all the comments.

This link will only work if you are already a FB "friend" of Gary.

My bad.    My apologies to everyone who tried to use the link.

:dhorse:
Stupidyboy

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7521 on: March 26, 2019, 08:15:06 AM »
Here is a "bone" for fans of specialized tools . . . . . .

This flywheel turning tool is designed for English Ford, Lotus Ford TwinCams and Cosworth Ford 4 cylinder engines and their various flywheel diameters, tooth counts and offsets, but the design can be adapted to anything.

And since a picture is worth a thousand words . . . . . . . . .

Interchangeable axle positions, interchangeable pinions (9T and 10T), "adjustment slot" for differing ring gear diameters, "pass through" rachet allows access to nylock "locking nut".

Extremely helpful when timing belt drive camshafts . . . . .

Machineyboy

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7522 on: March 26, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »
Gonna get me one of dose and WANG DANG DOODLE ALL NIGHT LONG!  :-o  :-D :cheers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6IY0v-0pA
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7523 on: March 26, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
Here is a "bone" for fans of specialized tools . . . . . .

This flywheel turning tool is designed for English Ford, Lotus Ford TwinCams and Cosworth Ford 4 cylinder engines and their various flywheel diameters, tooth counts and offsets, but the design can be adapted to anything.

Machineyboy

Thank you.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7524 on: March 26, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Fordboy- are you manufacturing and marketing these gizmos, just showing us your ingenuity for us to copy or it is available somewhere else?  :lol: :wink: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7525 on: March 26, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
Fordboy- are you manufacturing and marketing these gizmos, just showing us your ingenuity for us to copy or it is available somewhere else?  :lol: :wink: :cheers:

No longer manufacturing or marketing any gizmos, I just don't have enough time left on my sojourn.     Just sharing some ideas, by throwing up some photos of things that I've made that I have found useful.

And it would need to be altered to fit any other engine type.    I can post photos of its component parts should anyone be interested.

Besides, it was just a "ten minute job" . . . . .   :roll:    (credit to Woody, you really don't want to know how much time it took to design & fabricate.)

A simpler, non-adjustable version for a specific application can be done up in "less than half the time".     :wink:

Sojournerboy

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7526 on: March 27, 2019, 01:05:16 AM »
Neat.
If I were to use it, I'd need to put a l..o..n..g extension on the ratchet handle- so I could turn it while closely watching the degree wheel's pointer at the front of the engine.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline hemilover

• New folks
« Reply #7527 on: April 06, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »
New user with more to say later.  :-D

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #7528 on: April 06, 2019, 07:27:26 PM »
That a great idea Im going make me one just in case.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7529 on: April 09, 2019, 10:25:17 AM »
Hi, Gang –

First off, let me thank you all for the birthday greetings.  I just got my new driver’s license, and the comparison on an 8 year increment is, to say the least, startling.  The next one is due in 2027, and I’ve no doubt that it will reveal an interesting progression as well.

My absence has been noted on this board – some of you I have contacted, others, I haven’t worried.  Last October, I was diagnosed with cancer of the tongue.  In November, I started chemotherapy and radiation therapy, which went through January.  I tolerated both quite well, but I took time off work in February to heal.  Just as well – I didn’t have to go outside during the Polar Vortex.  Couldn’t talk for quite a while – a blessing for Kate, no doubt – but things are getting back to normal.

Still on the mend, the prognosis is quite good, and I’m planning on Speedweek with the Midget in tow.  

The weather has finally broken here, and as my strength returns, my time will be spent – as usual – in the garage.

A huge “thank you” to Mark – he’s been a beacon the last few months.  Most bright guys are.  Wayno says he has plans for me – rather ominous sounding, but after this scare, I’ll take plans over uncertainty.

My mom and dad have been in regular contact, along with my sisters.  I'm very lucky on the family end, in many ways.

But Kate has been an absolute gem to me.  I’ve insisted she continue her social life during this – she has been, and she remains the balanced half of a relationship that remains wildly eccentric on the other side.

The Ford F 150 finally gave up the ghost.  A new tow vehicle is on its way – a Nissan Frontier with the 4 liter V6.  The Midget and trailer weigh in at about 2500 lbs combined, so I'm thinking this might be a good choice.  I wanted to get my hands on a RWD Colorado with the diesel, but there isn’t one in stock in the upper Midwest, and the good-deal financing isn’t available on special order vehicles.  That’s okay – the Nissan is a little smaller overall and has fewer TV screens to distract me.  Supposed to be in this week from Kentucky.

So anyway – to those who were “in the know”, thank you for the support.  For those I didn’t inform, just know I didn’t want to worry you.

Things are looking bright.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:00:52 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: