Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255293 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7380 on: September 07, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
Kind of like a computer manual. They read like you are an expert and understand everything when in reality you don't even know where the on switch is.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7381 on: September 07, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
Kind of like a computer manual. They read like you are an expert and understand everything when in reality you don't even know where the on switch is.

Ron

A lot of acronyms and alphabet soup: 

F52THG
CAN Hi
EST/Spout Output

Wouldn't be quite the issue if they would simply supply a "Glossary of Terms".

I've been able to figure a lot of it out by tracing the Holley schematics for the LS1 Main Harness.  I used this one, because if Holley screwed something up on an LS1 install, it's a lot more likely they would have revised it with a correction than if they had printed a schematic for a lesser used engine.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7382 on: September 07, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »

Ron
Most manuals are written by people who know what they are doing for people that know what they are doing!  :x :roll: :x :roll: :x
You got this Chris! Plus we know any audio will sound great!  :cheers: :cheers:
'specially the first cackle!  :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7383 on: September 08, 2018, 01:59:49 AM »
... CAN Hi...
I recognize that one, only because I just looked up CANbus on WIKI. Pretty good write-up there. [People who deal with cars newer than mine are probably familiar with CANbus]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:01:34 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7384 on: September 08, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »
People who deal with cars newer than mine are probably familiar with CANbus

They're probably smoking it . . .  :wink:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7385 on: September 10, 2018, 08:07:07 AM »
Okay - I have a fairly high degree of confidence that the harness is finally correct.  

It was about 9:00 last night that I finished it up.  

As I didn't want to disturb my neighbors during the Packer-Bears game, which would be sacrilege on the west shore of Lake Michigan, and Kate wasn't around to man the fire extinguisher (heaven forbid), I've elected to screw up Monday Night Football for the neighborhood, so tonight, I'm going to attempt to fire it up.

Nobody here cares about the Lions or the Jets.

I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:14:58 AM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7386 on: September 11, 2018, 07:52:25 AM »
Okay - I have a fairly high degree of confidence that the harness is finally correct.  

It was about 9:00 last night that I finished it up.  

As I didn't want to disturb my neighbors during the Packer-Bears game, which would be sacrilege on the west shore of Lake Michigan, and Kate wasn't around to man the fire extinguisher (heaven forbid), I've elected to screw up Monday Night Football for the neighborhood, so tonight, I'm going to attempt to fire it up.

Nobody here cares about the Lions or the Jets.

I'll keep you posted.

Hoping it turns out well . . . . . .   but I guess I'll be the 5th or 6th to know . . . . . .   

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7387 on: September 11, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
Spent the night on another "10 minute job".  I neglected to hook up the starter signal wire.  I had to pull the intake in order to access a wire I should have attached when I dropped the engine in. 
At least the fuel lines are holding pressure - I was able to mop that up in short order.
Trying again tonight.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7388 on: September 12, 2018, 06:33:42 AM »
Well, while not much is being reported, here is a bone for BMC fans:

And a thank you to Woody for the link . . . . . .

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/09/eotw-vintage-british-leyland-engine/?eid=284935200&bid=2235650

JMHO, BUT, seems like the guy(s) went to a LOT of effort for 97 bhp from a 1275 . . . . . . .  BUT, it is tough to argue with his race results.

AND, BTW, I have several 1275's +.040" overbore producing 130+ bhp.   At lower rpm's and vastly reduced cost.

Readers will remember that Ver 2.2 of "the Grenade" produced ~99 bhp, from 999 cc's, which was enough to set a Bonneville I/GT record and a one way speed of 126.6 mph.   Scaled up to 1275 cc's that would be: ~125 bhp . . . . .

And finally, the Engine Builder magazine site is a good source of other technical articles, straight from racing part manufacturers.   I find it "helpful" to follow the instructions of the engineers who manufacture the parts I use, but hey, that's just me and you should do whatever works for you.

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:39:41 AM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #7389 on: September 12, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
"And finally, the Engine Builder magazine site is a good source of other technical articles, straight from racing part manufacturers.   I find it "helpful" to follow the instructions of the engineers who manufacture the parts I use, but hey, that's just me and you should do whatever works for you."

Don't forget Engine Professional Magazine from AERA (Automotive Engine Rebuilders Association). It is a quarterly magazine packed with valuable engine information.

https://www.aera.org/magazine.html

They used to archive back issues but not sure if they still do.

John

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7390 on: September 12, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7391 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
"Beginning with the premise, ‘Trust nothing and nobody,’ I sent the Swiftune #SW2307 camshaft to Elgin cams to be reverse engineered. We discovered the camshaft provided was much closer to a streetcar/autocross design instead of the full-on road race cam we requested.”

What's advertised and what it is aren't always the same number.

Of course, once you've INSTALLED IT and discovered either no change or a decrease in power, it's not returnable.

ALWAYS CHECK CAM SPECS.

Mark checked the specs on the Piper Cams we put in the K.  They were spot on.

It's always preferable to send a camshaft back with a printout of the factual dimensions compared to the fairy tales offered up in the brochure.  It makes it easier to shove it up their deuterostome blastopore.

And seeing as Nick Swift of Swiftune has the fastest racing Mini Coopers on the planet, is it any surprise that he's not sharing the good stuff?

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7392 on: September 12, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7393 on: September 12, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »

"Beginning with the premise, ‘Trust nothing and nobody,’ I sent the Swiftune #SW2307 camshaft to Elgin cams to be reverse engineered. We discovered the camshaft provided was much closer to a streetcar/autocross design instead of the full-on road race cam we requested.”

What's advertised and what it is aren't always the same number.

Of course, once you've INSTALLED IT and discovered either no change or a decrease in power, it's not returnable.

ALWAYS CHECK CAM SPECS.

Mark checked the specs on the Piper Cams we put in the K.  They were spot on.

It's always preferable to send a camshaft back with a printout of the factual dimensions compared to the fairy tales offered up in the brochure.  It makes it easier to shove it up their deuterostome blastopore.

And seeing as Nick Swift of Swiftune has the fastest racing Mini Coopers on the planet, is it any surprise that he's not sharing the good stuff?

I find it "helpful" to follow the instructions of the engineers who manufacture the parts I use, but hey, that's just me and you should do whatever works for you.

Fordboy

So, ahem, a certain dichotomy in those quotes . . . . . .   This is the part where I digress into a perspective of insight, (I think), into my character and values.    SO, if you aren't a fan, skip this post . . . . .

How I got to where I am, what I do, and the methodology I use, and recommend . . . . . .

A/   I am a man who embraces science above all else, simply for the cogent explanations science provides.   About MANY things, not just racing engines.

2/   This did not "happen" by accident.   While young, much of what I did was by the "trial & error" method, which, understandably now, gave a resulting poor percentage of positive outcomes.

d/   In the quest for "better outcomes" and better percentages, if you will, I bit the bullet and bought a SuperFlow 100 flow bench.   Based on the success with this "truth-o-meter", thus I began my downward spiral of technological
      acquisition, and my upward spiral of successful results.    Co-incidence?   I think not . . . . .

Have you ever noticed that a LOT of Hollywood productions are "remakes"?    Not really a lot of original thinking going on.    Why?    Because it requires EFFORT, and IT IS HARD.   The same is true in racing and many other things.   As my generous mentor opines:  "If it was easy, everybody would be setting records."

And then there is the "trust" thing.    YES, there are folks in the business you can trust.   They are few and far between.    BUT, remember, they are NOT mind readers.   If you can not DETAIL what you need, do NOT expect them to conjure a "miracle" for you.    YOU need to know, or at least have some idea of what you require, AND, you have to be able to communicate that to the proper person at the manufacturing end.    These folks are good, dedicated engineers, they are NOT magicians.    AND, they do not "resent" you checking their work.    Good ones welcome the double check, because, humans can make the occasional error.    People I deal with KNOW I am going to check with a jaded and critical eye.    I believe that that knowledge keeps them "on their game".

And if you check everything thoroughly, you will no doubt eliminate most of the "stupid sh**".     Does this create extra work and expense?    Well, it depends on how you look at it, doesn't it?    So, with the idea that inevitably, errors will be made, why not attempt to err on the side of good judgement and/or good engineering?     Just a thought.    And your mileage may vary . . . . . . .

Practical example to follow soon . . . . .  one that will give insight into why we went through a MASSIVE gyration with the lower end oiling system for the K16.   Stay tuned . . . . .

:cheers:  (Hey! Time for Oktoberfest, my favorite time of year . . . . )
Festyboy

P.S.   Thank you Harold, for the thought, the guidance, and the introductions.   You have been generous in your willingness to "pay it forward".    I will do no less to uphold the tradition.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:28:51 PM by fordboy628 »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7394 on: September 12, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

deuterostome blastopore.

Uhhmm, is that some kind of Catholic sacrament?

:dhorse:
Neveranaltarboy