Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255430 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7365 on: August 15, 2018, 09:36:52 PM »
Okay, the header has been cut back to clear the radiator and oil lines, and we're on track for World Finals, provided it stays dry and the salt stays put.  

Plan to try and fire it up this week/weekend.

While I really liked the racket the Grenade cast off, I'm dying to hear what this one will sound like - probably more motorcycle than tractor.  

And hey, it's not like I'm busy in Wendover . . .  :|

I dropped the car off at Aaron's last Friday to fix the header, and seeing as this vacation is also Kate's, I was both honored and obliged to take her somewhere.  

Headed "Up Nort" - Ashland / Bayfield, the south shore of Lake Superior, which was UNUSUALLY warm, even for this time of year.

Other than Bonneville, it's hard to find a more delightful spot for star gazing than Northern Wisconsin.

Took the Apostle Islands tour - fascinating, that - and caught Pokey LaFarge and Son Volt Saturday night at the Big Top Chautaqua in Bayfield.

I've mixed hundreds of bands in dozens of places, and I can state unequivocally that this is the best sounding TENT I've ever heard.  They have this venue  DIALED  IN .

Son Volt is - to my way of thinking - the BETTER half of the Uncle Tupelo break up in the '90's.  Not knocking Wilco, but the Tweedy stuff can be a bit cerebral at times, whereas Jay Farrar's Son Volt stuff is much more visceral.  Farrar simply writes some of the best 3 minute alt/country songs on the planet.

Brought the Midget back this afternoon, tucked it in the garage, and I've got a salmon fillet in the oven.

So tomorrow, I'm taking the trailer back to MG Limited - they have a friend who is going to need it for a vintage event in a few weeks, and part of the deal I have with Dick is that they can use it in lieu of the storage costs.  I'll grab it the first week of October, and move forward from there.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:40:26 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #7366 on: August 16, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
Dig Son Volt AND Wilco. Great show to catch. Love Northern Wisco Hayward and Cable is my spot

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7367 on: August 20, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
Sometimes, I'm about as dense as a bowling ball.

Spooled up the fuel pump yesterday - checking for leaks.

The garage is now aired out, the floor is finally dry, and I'm off to get a hose barb to FINISH THE DAMNED RETURN LINE . . .

But I did run into a problem that wasn't my fault - and it's kinda nice to be able to unequivically blame someone else for at least a portion of my woes.

The EFI kit from Holley included the wrong O2 sensor.  The manual indicates an 8 pin unit, specific to the Holley system - and they sent me the 7 pin auxiliary unit intended for dual exhaust systems along with the 8 pin.  Wrong number - no appearent way to make the 7 pin work.

And of course, the packaging says that it's non-returnable if opened. 

I think I'll be able to at least patch the program so I can start it up, but I'm loath to run it very long without being able to monitor the AF mixture. 

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7368 on: August 20, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »
"It's not whether you win or lose but, how you place the blame".  :roll:
Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7369 on: August 21, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »

The EFI kit from Holley included the wrong O2 sensor.  The manual indicates an 8 pin unit, specific to the Holley system - and they sent me the 7 pin auxiliary unit intended for dual exhaust systems along with the 8 pin.  Wrong number - no appearent way to make the 7 pin work.

Don't believe everything you read... Call them up and ask them how you use that one.... I'll bet they exchange it.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7370 on: August 23, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »
After trying to burn down the house and shop, have you made any good smoke yet?  :wink:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7371 on: August 24, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »
midget,

Just confirming your package arrived @ T&T Thursday 10am.   5 hours after Viking boy left for the meet in Norwalk.    He'll be back on Monday, and I'll pester him about the exchange.

Reminder:  The outer ring of the fabricated timing belt tensioner I made, should be "pinned" with 2 x 6-32 shc screws and #6 washers, to prevent the possibility of it "walking backwards" off the bearing.   Yes, I know it has .002" press fit.   I'm also paranoid about details . . . . . .     Keep an eye on it when you do initial fire up.   Shouldn't be a problem, BUT, . . . . .  I'm paranoid.

Down here, in the "flatlands", just workin' away, biding time, waiting for the release of . . . . . . Oktoberfest! ! ! ! !

:cheers:
F/b
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7372 on: August 28, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »

The EFI kit from Holley included the wrong O2 sensor.  The manual indicates an 8 pin unit, specific to the Holley system - and they sent me the 7 pin auxiliary unit intended for dual exhaust systems along with the 8 pin.  Wrong number - no appearent way to make the 7 pin work.

Don't believe everything you read... Call them up and ask them how you use that one.... I'll bet they exchange it.
Well, it looks as though it IS the correct piece, and is actually the preferred O2 Sensor.

Seems the harness is intended for the Bosch unit, and interchanges with this NTK unit, but this unit doesn't require the shield - thus, 7 pins vs 8.

Nevertheless, I still couldn't get a straight answer regarding why the number doesn't match.

Fuel system is no longer leaking - that's good news, so back to the 90 degree garage and 70 relative humidity to see if I can get his thing fired up this week.

Elmo Rodge was passing through the upper Midwest this week.  Got together with Fordboy and me for dinner last night, and he was a guest at the "Conrad" Hilton last night.  

One night on the futon will send ANYBODY packing!

Wayno, thanks for staying with us - the door is always open.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:29:05 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7373 on: August 28, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »
I slept like a rock.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7374 on: August 31, 2018, 01:36:27 AM »
When does your bullet to on the pump? Time to pull that handle and make some noise!!!! I am betting North of 140 at around 9500 to 10000.

Rex
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:15:47 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7375 on: August 31, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »

I've got a three day weekend in front of me.  Let's see if I can make some noise with it by Monday.

I'm pretty close, but I'm dealing with a weird throttle issue at the moment.  Might require a custom cable.

I also need to get an inductive timing light - my old SunPro connects to the top of the spark plug, and those are set so far into the head I don't see where I'll be able to do that without shorting it out against the head.

I was swamped at work when I got back from vacation, and now that the O2 sensor issue is handled (I hope) it's a matter of connecting it all together, crossing my fingers and flipping the switches.

And keeping the fire extinguisher handy . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7376 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
Good luck. Will be watching!!
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline wisdonm

« Reply #7377 on: August 31, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »
Chris, I have an old Sears unit. I used it on the Italia about a month ago. I can drop it off Sat. morning. I work at 3.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7378 on: September 07, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
EFI troubleshooting this week.  Jeez - what a headache.

"It's 'plug-and-play'", I keep reading. 

And I'm certain on an LS motor, it probably is.

But I'm real cautious about "plugging and playing".  My experience is that's how the smoke gets let out of the wires.

The Holley forums are pretty useless - at least for me.  The problem with that scenario is that while you can get instructions and help as to how to put it together, one gains little insight into what it's doing or why it's doing it.

I've got a miss-pin I need to address tonight - I'll need to pull the harness to get at it.  Still plugging away.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7379 on: September 07, 2018, 10:59:57 AM »
As my friend Fred Gorky says "It's merely a bolt on accessory"
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!