Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3255223 times)

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #7350 on: August 05, 2018, 02:09:01 PM »
  And the water / oil lines also ??   STEVE

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7351 on: August 05, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
I don't have a problem throwing time nor money into this.  This is what we all do, and I absolutely love it.

But safety has to come first.  I'm not wimping out.  My sister is a nurse who specializes in burn care, and I have no intention of using oxycodone or morphine unless absolutely necessary.

But more importantly, I simply need to make every effort to avoid Kate having to drag an empty trailer home to Milwaukee.

At the end of the day, I won't drive the car until it's safe to MY standards.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7352 on: August 05, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »

Chris, your priorities are so right. Keep up the good work.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #7353 on: August 05, 2018, 06:16:30 PM »

And wrapping the exhaust with the lava rock  wrapping won't work for you .??  It makes the exhaust touchable !!   STEVE

And the water / oil lines also ??   STEVE

To all of the supporters and followers of this project:

This has been a VERY difficult decision for Chris.   And, frankly, things are not quite as simple as they sound.   No photos have been posted yet, and they might help "visualize the issues", but some further explanation can help . . . . . .

A/   The K16 is physically MUCH larger the the "A" series "Grenade" it replaced, even though the K16 is very compact for a 4 valve engine.   The increase in engine size decreases the space available for the
      larger volume of accessories for the K16 engine.   And this does not account for 4 throttle bodies Vs a 2 choke carb, etc, etc . . . .
2/   It has ended up being a 5 pounds of  . . . . "stuff", crammed into 3 pounds of space.   This, of course, can be accomplished.   But there are always dividends paid for "detail attentiveness".   This has been difficult
      to accomplish on the separate development track we used to try and save time and effort.
d/   "Detail attentiveness" is going to require rethinking, perhaps re-locating, and perchance re-fabricating some accessories or support systems.  Sounds simple enough, but it requires time, and time is the thing in
      which we have the least amount available.
z/   Anybody who has ever gone off racing ill prepared, (so that's pretty much everybody . . .), and then has had an opportunity to go prepared, recognizes the difference.   And the difference in time, trouble and results,
      is readily apparent.   This is a lesson most racers do not need to learn twice . . . .

Since one of the things in question here is the risk of an oil system related failure, and an oil fire possibility, the time needs to be taken to have the oil lines properly proof pressure tested after assembly.  For everyone's peace of mind.   Chris has already had one oil line failure, on FrankenSprite.   It just wouldn't do to repeat that scenario.  It is always the smartest thing to recognize your own limitations, and have something done professionally, if you are not confident in your own ability.    I can not agree more.   I value "smartiness" over "stupidy", all the time.

I'm glad Chris has the "courage" to be smart, in spite of our desire to attend SpeedWeek.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Mark
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:09:38 PM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7354 on: August 05, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
Chris:

The right decision but I don't have to like it. I was looking forward to visiting with you.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7355 on: August 05, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
Chris:

The right decision but I don't have to like it. I was looking forward to visiting with you.

BR

I agree, Bill. 

With the exception of marrying Kate, it seems that the "Right Decision" is the one that causes grief and consternation beforehand, and if it is indeed the "Right Decision", you'll never know for sure, because there was no catastrophe to remind you that it wasn't!

The flip side is that making the "Wrong Decision" is the one that leaves you wishing you had made another choice.

We will catch up - that I promise.   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7356 on: August 05, 2018, 08:16:46 PM »
Did Kate's ticket include free refund?  Otherwise - send her out to SLC and Nancy and I will fetch her and entertain her while you sit at home, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7357 on: August 05, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »
Chris, you have plenty of time. Just not before Speed Week. Good call.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline salt27

« Reply #7358 on: August 05, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
Chris, I am disappointed for you but happy for Gus and me.

Speedweek is not possible for us so we will try for World of Speed.
Hope to see you there.   :cheers:

Don

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7359 on: August 05, 2018, 10:30:28 PM »
Still headed for dyno Tuesday or will that be held for header mods as well. So sorry to hear of the delay.
Had issues of my own. On Thursday mfg of my trans says I cannot flat tow it as no lube will seize input shaft to main shaft. Multiple options considered. I ended sourcing some bearings, design and build free wheeling hubs to bolt on. Long story why that but regardless I feel your pain. Good luck. Keep us posted with progress.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7360 on: August 05, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »
Don, if you look for Chris at World of Speed you're likely to be disappointed.  :wink:  He's talking about World Finals.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7361 on: August 05, 2018, 11:37:38 PM »
Hopefully he is actually thinking WoS... I think the last World Finals was 2012.... not a great track record... of course, maybe it has time and luck this year...
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #7362 on: August 06, 2018, 12:39:42 AM »
Don, if you look for Chris at World of Speed you're likely to be disappointed.  :wink:  He's talking about World Finals.  :cheers:
Wayno

Yeah, I misread it, dang.

Thanks for catching it Wayno.

Don

Offline forker

• New folks
« Reply #7363 on: August 06, 2018, 07:34:09 AM »

And wrapping the exhaust with the lava rock  wrapping won't work for you .??  It makes the exhaust touchable !!   STEVE

And the water / oil lines also ??   STEVE

To all of the supporters and followers of this project:

This has been a VERY difficult decision for Chris.   And, frankly, things are not quite as simple as they sound.   No photos have been posted yet, and they might help "visualize the issues", but some further explanation can help . . . . . .

A/   The K16 is physically MUCH larger the the "A" series "Grenade" it replaced, even though the K16 is very compact for a 4 valve engine.   The increase in engine size decreases the space available for the
      larger volume of accessories for the K16 engine.   And this does not account for 4 throttle bodies Vs a 2 choke carb, etc, etc . . . .
2/   It has ended up being a 5 pounds of  . . . . "stuff", crammed into 3 pounds of space.   This, of course, can be accomplished.   But there are always dividends paid for "detail attentiveness".   This has been difficult
      to accomplish on the separate development track we used to try and save time and effort.
d/   "Detail attentiveness" is going to require rethinking, perhaps re-locating, and perchance re-fabricating some accessories or support systems.  Sounds simple enough, but it requires time, and time is the thing in
      which we have the least amount available.
z/   Anybody who has ever gone off racing ill prepared, (so that's pretty much everybody . . .), and then has had an opportunity to go prepared, recognizes the difference.   And the difference in time, trouble and results,
      is readily apparent.   This is a lesson most racers do not need to learn twice . . . .

Since one of the things in question here is the risk of an oil system related failure, and an oil fire possibility, the time needs to be taken to have the oil lines properly proof pressure tested after assembly.  For everyone's peace of mind.   Chris has already had one oil line failure, on FrankenSprite.   It just wouldn't do to repeat that scenario.  It is always the smartest thing to recognize your own limitations, and have something done professionally, if you are not confident in your own ability.    I can not agree more.   I value "smartiness" over "stupidy", all the time.

I'm glad Chris has the "courage" to be smart, in spite of our desire to attend SpeedWeek.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Mark

Echo all that. I've seen an engine oil fire in a cell; messy, inconvenient and shockingly expensive if not controlled immediately. Not least, the facility can be lost at the same time as the candidate under examination.

Warm congrats for the head-over-heart approach. Fight another day.

Offline Will@Apex

• New folks
« Reply #7364 on: August 07, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
491 pages?  boy oh boy, I've got some catching up to do...